Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

apartment project

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
here are some models for my apartment enviroment i'mmaking for school.

chef.jpg

booger.jpg

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Thats just ugly looking... Why do you even bother?

...oh yeah and what are the random bits in the glass bit at the bottom of the bottom picture?

I love the feel of the models, they have a very nice flow to them.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    where are the fish!?
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    where's the strippers?? the automated blowjob machines?? you have the handjob robots which is a start.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    let me be the first to say, I like it, and those mechanical arms in the second image are hot!
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    what the hell kind of apartment do you live in? are there any available units? smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments guys. it's pretty barebone right now, but i'll try to make 'er spiffier.

i actually had the fish done flagster. i'm importing the enviroment into unreal, so i didn't bother until i set up the animatedactor class and imported them in the engine. they just have a "wading" animation right now.

looking for suggestions on how best to accomplish the fish swimming aroung the tank in unrealed 2k3.

th_fish2.jpg th_fish.jpg
  • Erol
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    There's a map with a shark tank and shark that came w/ 2k3--might want to check out how that was set up if you haven't already.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    killing: can you use splines? have them all on various continuous loops through the rocks? I don't know unrealed, just a thought.

I don't know a lot about fish, but I'm used to seeing them with a few more fins. Usually in some shape or form one (or 2) along the back, one towards rear underneath, two front underneath and two side. But that is all probably subject to the whims of mother nature, and maybe you based your design on a real fish anyway tongue.gif

looking forward to seeing developments!
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster:
    i can constrain the fish to a path in max sure, but i'm not sure if it would carry into unreal and if digesting a 100-200 frame animation sequence would be a possible direction. i am aiming to create an enviroment (not a level by any shape) so as long as you can view the room without HEAVY lagging on a good computer so i can record a matinee cinematic, i will consider it okay. i don't want the animation sequence loop to be noticable or too fast and unrealistic in case it is seen in view longer than i intend to record for some reason. also, i havne't played with the animatedactor actor and subactors much, so i am sure there is much there to learn. i noticed you can set the speed of your animations in the actor's properties and unreal will actually interpolate the inbetweens or tween in-game. so if i get a good feel for how that works i may be able to set position and rotation keyframes, condence them down to single frames so when the animation time is slowed in game they look right. but the way i animate, the keyframes are never the same distance apart, so that may be something to consider.

the fins i noticed were screwed up after i 'rushed in for the skin' to see if i could import the animation into unreal. it worked and i'm finless! the detail skipped my mind. i don't really like the fish, it's not exotic enough for the fancy fish tank. that tank would cost a lot and to drop a fish that looks like a generic, stepped-on goldfish, doesn't fly.

hey polycount,
    i was thinking, if anyone was interested, i think it would be cool if the polycount community helped me populate my fish tank by modeling out a small exotic fish model for my tank. if it looked dumb i wouldn't put it in there, no offense. i would want weird looking fish and i'd be willing to texture them up if you didn't want to, animate them, and import them in and give you credit for your fish. but i'll only do it if the fish is cool looking.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    As I mention I don't know unreal ed well, so I'm waiting for someone who does to tell me these ideas are useless.. but if I was looking to do it I'd look up if its possible to constrain to path in unreal rather than max, as I know moving stuff on splines is pretty cheap performance wise and also from working on a fish game prototype for the last 9 weeks that a generic swim along a spline can look pretty convincing.

Something that springs to mind is the particles of light that occasionally lead your way in the assault game when a new objective comes up, and also any camera movements in ingame cinematics. I assume these were done by moving stuff along splines?
    I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about make some suggestions now :]
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like fun, doing a quick one right now. Any suggestions on how many polys that are max and how big the texture can be?
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster:
    ah yeah, the cameras do move on splines. i'm actually pretty sure there is a way. i'll search google and the unreal wiki's for an answer when i get the time. i know what erol is talking about with the shark creatre and will take a closer look on how they set that one up - i think they used a skybox for that. (makes me wonder if you have the option for multiple sky boxes in unrealED, that'd be fun to play with.)

cubik:
    thanks for showing interest, i thought it was a fun idea. i'm thinking in the range of 50-200 tris and 64-128 textures.

if i get a lot of fish i can always make another aquarium so the fish can be better displayed.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    fishies!

fishies.jpg
    177 tris
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    ah that fish is rad!
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Starting another one, this is just some quick texturing fun:
    82 polys
    128x128 texture
    fishrender2.jpg
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    A simpler method might be to just "attatch" the fish together into a couple of single objects with a common center. It's not important for one fish tolook perfect, but to give the impression of many fish in the tank. So if you turned multiple fish into an "object" made it a mover with a 7 frame rotation around the tank, and then made another owne with a different rate of rotation, You would have some varience in there. If you used simple mesh deform animation (such as how the flags flap in the game) for the tails, that would suffice. Make a few more fish to be statick or move in very slow cycles and you could have a good pseudorandom movement in the ttank without a lot of hassle with the splines and if they import or not.

Just a suggestion that I hope helps.

Scott
  • toddiej
    Offline / Send Message
    toddiej polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Cory, remember when I showed you that animated mushroom, I think you could do the same with the fish. I'll mess with it and see if it will work with the spline. I don't think the spline will import but the movement in 3d space might.

Todd
  • toddiej
    Offline / Send Message
    toddiej polycounter lvl 18
    got it to work in unreal
    heres a movie, yours will hopefully look better than this wink.gif
    fishy box

screen of max setup, just simple box along spline
    fishspline.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    update on some textures, left some others at the school blush.gif more when i get it!
    bathwizard9000.jpg
  • nreynolds
    Offline / Send Message
    nreynolds polycounter lvl 18
    i like the plants and the glass around the arms. laugh.gif
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Its looking awesome, KP. Whats sort of project is this for if you dont mind me asking? Keep it goin though, cant wait for more.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    AHotHandSandwich, i'm importing the enviroment into unreal

apartment01.jpg
    this is the basic layout i'm working towards. city scape to the left. bathroom/fishtank center, bedroom to it's right. kitchen far right. curvy 8-shape things are ceiling arm tracks.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Love it! Looken a little blah texture wise though. Compared to the fish tank ,it looks like it could use some color.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i like what you're doing with the monochromatic color schemes. so long as each room has a similar kind of "punch" color element like the fishtank, it should make for a rather impressive looking unreal level. hopefully you'll upload the level when it's done so we can all have a butcher's ? smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    rather lost focus on this one, but this is where i got with it :\

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/killnpc/apartment02.jpg
  • fatatattat
    Offline / Send Message
    fatatattat polycounter lvl 17
    i like this alot the fish tank is a cool touch
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool man smile.gif

maybe you could change the contrast/slight hue shift between the floors and walls? it all kinda mushes together. the details on the walls and floor kinda match, making it hard to discern the two.

lookin cool though! should be sweet with furniture and plants n stuff
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You know I think this actually came out really cool. It takes a really top notch artist to pull off something so monochromatic and simple without it seeming monotonous. With some interestig lighting in game this could read as a really interesting space with a unique ambiance.

How did you like unrealed? easy to learn? I'm getting ready to dive in soon, and was wondering how you liked it? Could we see your flats from this stuff? And don't let this project die out! finish it! I think it has a lot of promise in the direction of developing an interesting space for level design.