Home Technical Talk

2 Zbrush Questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
Okay so i am deeply in love with Zbrush, but I am only about a week into it, and have hit that phase where everyone plaing with Z-Brush does. What the heck, how do you uise alphas to put skin texture on your character? is it a stencil operation? I can't seem to get projectionmaster to work, as it never picks things up. would stencil work better? If so how are they used?

The other question is": Is there a setting in the brush you use in "Edit Mode" that makes it smoother, even at the expense of responsiveness? I want to make smooth veins in a character's leg, and the lines are coming out spotted and rippled. I'd like something smoother. Is that possible?

Scott

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If veins or stuff are coming out spotty instead of smooth, what I usually do is just draw slower and put less pressure on the stylus. Usually works pretty well.

The Projection Master has always been fine for me - hit G to drop your current model to PM (make sure the options are set to deformation, normalised if you want it), paint the detail on (Roller or Directional brush are good for skin stuff), hit G again to pick up. Sometimes if your mesh isn't subdivided enough it won't pick up all the detail.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One more thing about spotted lines : that generally means that you work at higher rez than needed.

A good rule of thumb is to try to achieve the maximum level of detail you can on a given subdiv level, and then divide the mesh a step further to add the even finer details.

Hope that makes sense... Worked great for me. Oh and Mop is right too, push lightly! wink.gif

Would you mind sharing some pics of the testmodels Scott?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    maybe, but it's all still NDL stuff. We'll see. I'll probably do some stuff on my onw, simply because I love Z-Brush so. Love it and want to marry it. duh! :-) :-)

Scott