Home Technical Talk

A question about skeletons (that lava/Lgun makes)

Mint
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mint polycounter lvl 18
My first question is about what tells a model what skeleton to use when a person dies via lava, acid or link gun etc? I have noticed that the skeleton (note I am not talking about the skeleton you use to animate but a normal flesh-and-bone type skeleton) is shaped different for different species, humans have human skeletons and beings like the custom catgirl models have anthro legs on their skeletons and such.

What tells it to use that skeleton? My main question is is this editable after the fact?

I have downloaded a model (The God Horus model to be exact) and it uses a normal human skeleton and I wanted to try out some others. (A god ending up with a human bone skeleton is odd) Is this something the mesh designates or maybe code somewhere?
I have noticed variables that are rarely used in the .UPL files for ragdoll= and skeleton= maybe these are the answer??

Replies

• FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    If you're making a custom skeleton for your character, you should make a custom ragdoll, and, if you really want to, a custom "skeleton model" for your character. If you don't want to make a skeleton mesh, you can include the Skeleton= line in the upl and point that towards your model's mesh name (which means that your model wont turn into a skeleton if it gets zapped/dropped in lava, it will just look like your plain model).

If you create a custom skelton and animations for your model, it's a must to include the Skeleton= line in the upl or your character will crash the game if it gets zapped/burned.

I'm guessing that if you bind the character to any of the default skeletons, UT knows and will swap in the right skeleton when needed. Otherwise, to be safe, you can just include the line in your upl and point it to one of the default package_skeleton models.