Home General Discussion

Essentials from home?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Hi there im making a list of essentials i will not be able to find in Europe for one reason or another and i was wondering who has lived in Europe and the states can offer some ideas on anything i might have missed or is too expensive over there.

Here is what i have come up with

Bottle of Jack Daniels (1) liter for cold and rainy days

Deoderant (3) sticks from all accounts ive read the brands sold over ther last for 2 hours

Shampoo (2)

a Bottle of Rudy's worst Bar B Que sauce in Texas 38oz

Goya Marinade (2)

Levi's Jeans (3)

twin bed sheet set (2)

Pillow (1)

Micron pen set (1)

Drawing Notebook (2)

Water proof Jacket (1)

asked this on many expat websites but get surprisingly few good answers

Replies

• thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Is this a joke list? I'm asking due to the addition of Shampoo?

You'll find goods like pillows, bed sheets, levis, doederant, and jack daniels. It all depends on you -- do you want to go looking for a pillow and bed sheets you may find too thick, etc. A water proof jacket I'd take but shit like drawing notebooks? Why would Europe not carry those, nevermind deoderant and shampoo.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Price is also a consideration as well,if i can buy it here cheaper the better.

thats what the part in which i wrote "or is too expensive over there" is about

i know for a fact ill find many of those products there but i will pay an arm and a leg over there for it,so if i can buy whatever i can for less it would save me money,what are the chances 1 liter of Jack Daniels is the same price in the states as in Europe?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    All the alcohol and fags (assuming you smoke) you can bring through customs, the taxation over here is awful. Wait, you have heavy taxation on those too, right? Guess it's time for comparing prices.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All the alcohol and fags (assuming you smoke) you can bring through customs, the taxation over here is awful. Wait, you have heavy taxation on those too, right? Guess it's time for comparing prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah theres taxes but not as bad,the rest of the stuff can be found real cheap through discount stores which dont exsist in Holland like Wal mart. Im trying to buy all the little things here to save as much money as i can due to the cost of living differences

Cigarettes wont be bringing im allergic to Tabacco smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If I was moving, pretty much all I'd take is my guitar. Most anything else can be bought on arrival, and it's not like the price difference between a bottle of Jack in the US and Europe is really going to hurt your wallet.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    discount stores which dont exsist in Holland like Wal mart

Don't underestimate the number of Wal Marts in Europe. Besides, there's Aldi if you need to watch your budget.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Depends how much you drink MoP smile.gif

If you're bringing Jack for cold and rainy days then bring a case smile.gif

Anyways, a bottle of Jack costs about 23 Euro's (I guess about $28).

Bed sheets can be tricky since the bed sizes aren't the same in every country. You can buys those very cheap here at discount stores and they take up a lot of luggage space.

If you have a specific salad dressing that you cannot live without I'd bring that since we have very little choice for that here. Certain typically US foods you won't be able to find here like Kraft's mac&cheese.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    yeah salad dressing was another thing suggested to bring,i guess badsheets i can scratch out

oh yeah forgot to mention power chord converters 2 or so i imagine will work

any idea on what size is that ikraan on the jack bottle so i can compare here?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    The bottles are 70 centiliter I think which is about 23 ounces or a little bit less than 1/5th gallon.

Power adaptors you will need for sure. We have 220 volt but my Dutch laptop always worked fine in the US.
    If you have a cell phone which can handle GSM then bring it. You can get a sim card cheap here.

Bring your favorite movies. If I were going somewhere for a couple of months or longer then I would have to bring a couple. Dutch tv = crap.

Medication is maybe an obvious one. But you can get a lot less over-the-counter here so if you have a certain favorite brand or flavour of pain relief, cold medicine, vitamins etc. then bring that.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    "Deoderant (3) sticks from all accounts ive read the brands sold over ther last for 2 hours"
    Hahaha, someone`s pulling your leg on that... quality of goods you can expect to be of very comparable standard.
    You could seriously cash in though if you filled your case with brand name jeans and electronic equipment with a mind to selling them. No joke, thats what I`d do.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    erm, you can find all this shit anywhere in the world. ESPECIALLY in Europe
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    well like is said its also about the price,i need to be thrifty those things because i didnt get paid shit here and i dont know when ill be paid for the first time over there.

oh yeah looked up the same bottle of Jack's here in Houston, $18.78 ,and its the more corporate liqour store too so i imagine if i look here i could find it for less

and also i want to have a little fun cash too to try a few of the local products wink.gif