Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uni Project...... lots of images...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
Heres a uni project I'm working away on, I posted a couple pics of bits of this not so long ago. I got tons of this stuff on the go atm but heres something I've been fiddling with.

Note these images are 1024 * 768 so I haven't directly linked them.

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~rol/forum/arcane/competition/Arcane1024768.jpg

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~rol/forum/arcane/competition/Arcane1024768b.jpg

Heres the other stuff with some wires and the texture map, I can do better for sure but I was quite pleased considering this was made in little over a 2 days.

Demon1.jpg

Perspective.jpg

TextureMap.jpg

FOUND some more

I saw some of the low poly threads and wanted to make a 400 poly character with a 256 / 512 map. Anyhow heres what I got I didn't like it that much hehe

---- Oh edit.. I didn't mirror much on the uvwmap, because I was hoping to try normal map the character at some point----

Lizardman.jpg

Lizardman2.jpg

Next bit, me and my mate are taking it in turns to try and improve our skills by rotating the jobs, i.e. he models I texture then visa versa.. This one he modelled a fantasy character "manticore" with a 2500 budget, which I then attempted to texture... this one sucks a bit I hate hair/fur.

Manticore2.jpg

Manticore4.jpg

Manticore.jpg

Peace

Show

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff showster, nice work but like almost everypimp on these boards theres a lot of room for improvement, mostly with anatomy, but keep on pumping things out and i'm sure everything will come together
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The manticore could use some work on the area where the wings and body join, the transition is too abrupt, the poly edge shouldn't be visible.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    There are a lot of areas that need work, but I would say the main thing texture wise is your painting methods. Don't paint with such dark colors! Pick the actual tone and hue you want and paint with conviction! Not every shadow should go to black. You are having to cover it up by smudging too much and the textures end up too soft and with the crevaces nearing black reguardless of facing direction.

You might want to try starting with light bakes to help guide you with darks and lights, but honestly I think some good old fashioned 2D practice is what you need. Pencil on paper and paint on canvas (real or virtual) Practice putting down values and defining forms.

Keep on trucking duder.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the tips smile.gif Poop. I dunno why I just can't seem to paint properly atm.. I also have some issues with monitors, my one at home the textures look okish,, but on most monitors they look quite dark and black. Anyhows I'm gonna keep trying to get the subtle, accurate and neat approach to painting,, some how lol

KDR_11K yea sorry thats me being lazy, posting the model before its finished.