Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portrait of a King: Henry VIII ( 1491-1547 )

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
It's saturday and I am at work. When I get home later, I am not going to go out, nor am I going to play Warcraft. I am going to build a model. This thread will force me into that endeavour, since If i don't, I'm going to look like a bit of a tool. Anyway, I don't know why, but since a kid I was always fascinated by the evil fat bloke from olden times. Here he is so far:

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    tbh i think you look like a bit of tool for saying "here he is so far" and then having nothing to show... get to work! home! work! wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    probably smile.gif OK, so here's some face ref:

henry-viii.jpg
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    sheez, Faster! Im not going to wait all night for a fricken preview of this model.. !WORK HARDER!! lol
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im stayin' close to watch the process.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good likelyness, it just needs more cowbell laugh.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I keep refreshing the thread over and over waiting for an update!!! Dont keep me waiting!
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I LOVE YOUR NORMAL MAPPPPINGSI Z
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'm sory m8 but thats bloody useless, you can take that inarticulate block and shove it up yer shite pipe!!

Interesting subject choice, nice to see you pushing toward something different, i enjoy the oddballs much more than the cyphers myself smile.gif

r.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    cool man, looking forward to updates on this.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    hmm is that a 3d artists block? :chuckle:
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    yes, you definately need to tweek some of those verts around the nose and eyes, its not quite following the form of Mr the VIII.

one funny thing, Think about how royalty used to get upset and kill there court artists if the painting wasnt flatering. just imagine how ugly this bloke really was!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh true Therm. What's awesome to me about doing these historical pieces is the stuff I learn. Did you know he was estimated to have been between 6'2" and 6'4"?! About 300 pounds too. Not massive by today's standards, but for the time absolutely frickin' colossal. He was basically considered a giant. Trivia fact no.2: he never once witnessed any execution that he ordered, nor confronted any of his 'victims' after deciding their fate, for fear of being talked out of his decision! Wuss!

Veeery slow update sorry. More tomorrow:

henry_1.jpg

armour ref:

king_henrys_armor.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    henry.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome!!!

i think it could use more normal-mapped details, especially if you want to get a job in the indsutry.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I'm trying to figure out what looks off to me. The only suggestion I have is that his entire face area seems flatter in the two paintings in this thread. Especially in the beard area, it looks like it sits much further forward in the paintings.

Sorry not to be more of a help. Looking good though man!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome.

For the face flatness that poop's suggesting, I think it really lies in the bridge of the nose and the chin area. In the paintings, the bridge seems to drastically blend right into the forehead, with little slope. And the chin seems like it should have less outward curve.

Looking spot-on man, keep it up.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looking good so far. {me imagines the hard work between block and face).
    I like the fact that you seem to have captured his likeness very well.
    to use technical terms, his chin needs 'jowelling' up a bit and his ears might need to be more 'juggy'
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    once he has the beard and the silly hat he will look spot on im sure.

didnt he invent a meal too, was it lunch? i dunno. I used to live near a little town called sandwich in southern england, where a fat baron couldnt stop eating, and invented a new meal between meals. aparently.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Great idea Daz smile.gif I`m interested to see if you `enhance` the fat gits evilness.
    You`re a bit keen with the early crit Poop, give him some space innit.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Didn't henry the eigth invent vulgar fractions also?
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    What those paintngs need is some normal mapping, that showld pop those chunky cheeks right off the camvas >.>
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Daz, I reckon you want to give this guy an original spin, since I haven't really seen anyone do real-life English monarchy before.

To this end: DON'T PUT HIM IN ARMOUR!

Henry VIII was more famed for music and his love of the arts, I think it would be a disservice to stick him in armour! Every mother and her brother has full-plate armour these days.

Give him traditional period clothing, and a musical instrument accessory - he was a proficient lute player, grab some reference of one of those and do something more in keeping with his character, I say smile.gif

Seriously, I think that would be a better route to take, for originality and characterisation.

The face looks like a really good start, keep it up! smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    he was more famous as a violinist, and an archer =/ but yea, i agree with mop. a nice set of clothes and an instrument would be much better.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    So Daz, basicly this thread serves as an anti-procrastination buffer laugh.gif

Good job im waiting for more updates
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    nah, I think u should do what u want with this.
    Clothing , armor, Who cares. Im sure he'll do a sexy job anyway

DO IT!!
    b1ll
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think he was evil, as much as he was a typical artist :-).

On the face widen the bridge of the nose and blend it into the forehead a little. If you look at the top painting, carefully you can see he had a neck beard, so his jaw line is softer, and he probably has a full double chin. I should know, I've got the same thing.
    SanDiego1991.jpg

Thet level of fatness does not give one a "Strong" jaw line, though apparently he was a bull.

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Lol nice ref there Scott!

MoP: you have me in a horrible dilemma. Whilst I totally see your arguments against armour, I have some for smile.gif

1) Although I suppose lots of people have, I've never done any in high poly, and really wanted to get my teeth stuck into HDR etc for the render
    2) He is ALWAYS seen in that garb and the comical floppy hat. Always. So surely this would be away from the predictable?
    3) He did of course wear armor on occasion. His famously gammy leg was from a jousting accident.

Urgh, what to do? I had my heart set on armour, and might not have the same level of interest in finishing the model If I gotta model lots of painstaking folds smile.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Another note, his eye sockets probably weren't as deep as you have, as the fat around his eyes might push them forward a bit. Other than his nose, he seems a bit flat faced. But so far it looks good.

I's stick with the armour, Simply because you could play with the lighting. and put a drapery background and light it like a Hans Holbein portrait.

Scott
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: Aye, makes sense to do the armour that way if you want that then - I guess you've already done plenty of cloth modelling with the General and Gerry, so armour is a good change... do whatever you want mate smile.gif

Hehe, Scott in a big fez smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Revamped the face while I figure out wether or not to armour! smile.gif

henry_2.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Dude! he looks just like my old science teacher, Mr. Nelson!
    Fantastic job, Daz. Even though it's ref from a painting, my only crit would be the size of his mouth. Seems just a tad bit small.
    Good luck!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUuuuuuuch better man. I can definately see the likeness now. What all did you change?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    pretty much the stuff that everyone pointed out smile.gif Gave him a flatter face, pulled the eyes forward, played with the arch of the nose, less defined jawline and tons of other stuff
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great, but heres a few suggestions to try out to nail down the likeness a bit better.

Widen the face

Make the ears smaller

Lower the jawline to a flatter angle (a more rectangular face will result)

The mouth is barely wider than the nose. Make it a teensy bit smaller imo.

Anyways, those were largely guesses because youre posting a perspective shot and the reference is a front view, but still might help a bit. Keep it up.

P.S. my vote goes for armour smile.gif
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is coming out great Daz. Definately gets me motivated to do some personal work. Only crit would be that the brow could be longer. Love the nose, lips and cheek area. Very nice definition in those spots.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very incredible work daz, i love your subject, way to out do yourself.
  • S51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S51 polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent work, it never fails to amaze me just how close a likeness you can get. The only thing I notice is that the bridge of his nose looks a little wide towards the top as it meets the brow. In the reference it does get wider towards the top, just not that wide. I'd love to see him in some really overdone, gaudy armor, though I'm sure you'd do justice to some fancy king-clothes too. Up to you, either way keep up the good work.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you armour him! The armour's defined shapes would be nice contrast to his plump, soft, soft face. If you do Elizabeth I you could go nuts on her clothing. ; ) Great subject matter!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hope you dont mind a shitty paint over... looks fantastic.. but i have enought fatties in my family to know about the volcano neck.. its when the fat is erupting out of the collar of the shirt.. and looks like henry has one.. also i think his chin looks a bit less heroic in the painting.. so i made a few adjustments.. fat people are tough when you know anatomy cause you want to put the muscles and tendons in there.. something to make all that education worth while.. but you really have to throw everything away and just cover it all in gravy...

i think his neck needs to be even fatter than my paint over.. it was just to kind of show you what i mean..

akwoyc.jpg

also think micheal moore would be a good reference..
    http://www.washingtondispatch.com/culture/archives/moore2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    but you really have to throw everything away and just cover it all in gravy...

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    wow very nice so far
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "my only crit would be the size of his mouth. Seems just a tad bit small."

"The mouth is barely wider than the nose. Make it a teensy bit smaller imo."

just goes to show ya you gotta pick and choose yer crits ;-P
    Seriously though thanks guys. I always read everyones input. Arsh thanks a lot for the paint. I have gone further with the flab. However, I really dont see ol' H as being quite that out of shape. Sure, he was fat, but I think in more of a bullish 'used to be a muscular man along time ago' type of way than out and out flabby like todays fatties weaned on a modern diet of McDonalds. But I dunno, I'll play with it some more. I just dont want him to appear too comical. He's allready looking distinctly feminine ;-p ( tis hard to make anyone with such a tiny mouth look masculine tho )

Played with the face quite a lot more and started to flesh out the body shape.

henry_3.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sure, he was fat, but I think in more of a bullish 'used to be a muscular man along time ago' type of way than out and out flabby like todays fatties weaned on a modern diet of McDonalds.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly right, in henry's younger days, he was an avid sportsman, an expert bowman and a very good with both sword and lance. its quite unfortunate that he had an accident really, he might have been remembered for something more than killing half his wives otherwise.

im loving your detail so far, its brilliant. however youve modeled his brow in an almost surprised pose. im trying to think if the texture will work (i know the eyebrows are in that position) but at the moment i think it might be better to drop, or smoothen off the brow a bit. thats up to you though. the painting just shows its not really surprise. but a flatness of features (could just be the artist was having a bad day...)

awsome stuff Daz laugh.gif a real inspiration.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    ahhh. you know i only looked at the picture you posted of him.. and knowing nothing about henery the V to the triple I i looked at some more pictures and from a 45 he does look a little slimmer than straight on.. like this pic..

holbein_henry_viii.jpg

this pic makes me think you could get away with elongating the face a bit.. but the only reference seems to be paintings so no telling how accurate these are.. in the pic i posted, the top of his head would have to lopped off to look like that, so your version could be as close if not closer to the real thing than the paintings.. also i think i like the way the ear was rendered in this pic a little more than yours..it looks a bit more natural..all in all just a nit pick... but your face is so nice with the subtle details , the ear seems rushed or forced in comparison... all in all great work.. i cant wait to see this guy finished..

by the way how are you planning to approach the facial hair? with a hair type plugin or planes??
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Nice piece Daz! My only suggestion at this point would be to push in his chin a tad, from both those references, the lips seem to be out further than the chin. =D