Home General Discussion

nVidia 77.77 drivers crashing my computer...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
...whenever I go to watch a movie, regardless of which format.

I remember seeing someone post about this (or maybe it was in #md) and they had a fix for it. Anyone know of this problem and have a fix for it? Google isn't showing much.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I recently had the same problem, only with HL2. I had to get the slightly older, non-conflicting drivers.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Roll-Back your Drivers.
    For some reason the 77.7x Drivers are horribly flawed.
    (yet still passed WHQL... WHY?!?)

Sometimes you install they'll work fine in areas, other times it'll refuse to run DirectX, or Videos will be 16 Colours, or my favourite one... on the 7800 your desktop sides the bottom half and top half of the screen across slowly at different speeds. (That last one takes talent to cause as a bug!)

I'd auggest just going back to the last stable build until the new drivers are developed. They're being sorted out for the entire 7-Series right now. Been weird not having a new Beta for a while.

One potencial fix is to turn off Hardware Acceleration, or turn it down to a lower level. smile.gif
    Still not as good as having drivers that just work.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    completely unrelated and yet, not at the same time, i had to roll back to my previous drivers on my ATI card, BF2 wouldnt launch and WOW had serious graphic issues, (tearing, missing terrain) before it crashed. it's no fun...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Erm, I meant without having to roll them back. Thanks for the imput so far!
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I have to use some drivers for my nVidia that are older than those in the BF2 demo. Anything newer and quitting just about any game will give me a BSOD! shocked.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I've had the same type of problem for a while now, but can't find a fix. I can't watch most movies, except for ones recorded with Camtasia, and quicktimes, without the computer hanging or even crashing. The closest thing I've found about what might be the cause it this:

http://members.home.nl/marf/Infinite%20Loop.html

But I've tried all the fixes it mentions, and the problem is still here. Just out of curiosity, if anyone has a Nvidia card (I have an FX5200) and WinXP, and you're computer plays videos fine, which version of the driver are you using?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    77.72 and doing the manual video fix by going to color correction, choosing overlay, going to advanced mode, and then saving it as a custom profile.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    FatAssasin, I'm currently using the 77.72 on an FX5200. Got all the videos with the exception of RealMedia Videos working just fine by uninstalling then installing the drivers directly rather than upgrading.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I got lucky, the BF2 demo drivers work for me without causing stop errors or killing video playback...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    77.72 and doing the manual video fix by going to color correction, choosing overlay, going to advanced mode, and then saving it as a custom profile.

[/ QUOTE ]

woot! had a problem with my video colors, and that fixed it!

thanks laugh.gif