Home General Discussion

Help Wanted

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
As much as I would like to take credit for this "help wanted" posting, it was another (frustrated) Art Manager at LD that came up with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Help Wanted :

Seeking young (18 - 22) self-taught male for HIGH END 3D graphics job. Must be self-righteous, always know you're right and willing to refuse to conform to established protocol. Having zero experience and catatonic laziness IS A MUST. Fighting and complaining about corrections received and having minimal talent while doing so, is a PLUS. If this sounds like you, please contact Liquid... like whenever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ahahahahaha... i'm in!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    how can i contact Liquid?! cool.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Ageist bastards. :P
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    you forgot to add "slagging mark behind his back is preffered but not required"
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd apply, but i'm overqualified.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Damnit, I'm too old frown.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Here let me reword it for all game companies to use when looking for outsource work.

Looking for someone to underpay and overabuse. You will be assigned more than can get finished in the time you're given, and updates and revisions will only be given four hours before the final asset needs to be turned in. Must be willing and able to bring anything into the realm of existance, purely based on the wants and desires of the client, reguardless of feasability. Must be willing to do endless reworks for no extra pay, and insults to abilities must be accepted with a "yessah massah". Must be willing to work on a game and not be mentioned in the credits, despite the amount of work produced for the final game. Must also be willing to pirate whatever software is necessary to work with the clients pipeline.

Meant with as much humor and sarcasm as the original post. 8-)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Must also be willing to pirate whatever software is necessary to work with the clients pipeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello nail!
    Why hello there head!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    There is no business I have ever heard of that provide their contract workers with tools or software.

Constructuion workers have to buy their own tools too ya know.

[ QUOTE ]
    ...purely based on the wants and desires of the client

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the way the client/worker relationship goes dude. I'm not tryna rag on ya but wtf does your whims have to do with this process at all? Ofcourse the client has to be made happy...ummm, they pay for a service and you provide it for 'them' Where do I have this wrong?

-R
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Context. Use it.

the rest of that sentance, is "reguardless of feasability."

I want an unreal 3 quality model from a 14 year old, that I'm paying five dollars, who is using milkshape and a toaster.

Since I'm the client, I must be right of course.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh nice one AZ but great counter Poop smile.gif C'mon Pak, all Ben is trying to say ( which isn't aimed at LD ) is there are always 2 sides to the story. There are some dicks and unprofessional behaviour on both sides of the fence.
    I had some co. e-mail me recently asking me to do some work for them. I *very* politely declined explaining that I was way too busy crunching on a project at work. And what do I get for my politeness? A reply ( he had the nerve to flag it as important too ) that was very insistant that I should work with them and that it would be 'good for my portfolio'. There was this underlying connotation that I would be making some kind of career mistake by not working for them. Haha.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    *edit*

fair enough...

I've had a good expierence with them.

-R
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    YOU ASSHOLES NEVER THINK ABOUT THE JANITORS.

How do you think THEY feel?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Eh? Woa that's a bit of a weird over reaction. I don't think you took Poops counter in the spirit in which it was intended. No one in this thread is ragging on LD.
    Perspective, context. That's what you preach to everyone here in other threads, so show a bit of it now.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Daz, ever come up to Vancouver? (Maybe to visit the Burnaby EA?)
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No but funny you should say that cos I have been thinking about it. Why and what's it got to do with this thread? smile.gif
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    There is no business I have ever heard of that provide their contract workers with tools or software.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is no other business that I`ve heard of, that pays and treats its` contract workers so poorly.
    Nothing aimed at you PaK, but really this shit needs to stop.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice one, poop.

[ QUOTE ]
    Constructuion workers have to buy their own tools too ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis on "buy", Pak. How many novice game artists working on contracts have paid for their software? And for a contract or outsourcing studio to provoke this would be a shame. Really degrades the industry.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I dont really see how it degrades the industry to require your contract workers to buy their own software?

The contract arrangment means that neither party is obligated in anyway past the agreement of any given assignmnet. In exchange for that freedom the contract worker is responsible for getting the job done and take care of all expenses. More spacifically; you don't have to goto meetings, or be in at work at a certain time, or accept assignmnets just cuz your boss doesn't understand your skillset (cuz you accept or deny the assignmnets as they come)

You guys are pointing out that they don't buy you software, but that is the nature of this side of the business. Contract work is very very different from full-time work.

How could they possibly buy each contractor a version of software that costs 2x's or 3x's the artists wage to begin with?

*edit*
    maybe I am confused Mop. Cuz none of this is really adding up.
    -R
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Uh, PaK, you might wanna re-read ElysiumGX's statement. I'm pretty sure he's saying it degrades the industry when people *don't* buy software. Which is also what you're saying...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    No but funny you should say that cos I have been thinking about it. Why and what's it got to do with this thread? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know? Coffee? Beer?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pak: Yeah dude. Studios shouldn't provide you with the tools you need. But, the one being contracted should have paid software, and the contractors should make sure of that.

I was refering back to Poop's jab at studios expecting freelancers to "acquire" whatever software is needed to intregrate into the pipeline or "conform to established protocol". This is why I'm a big supporter of asset exchange formats like FBX and COLLADA, and hope for the end of using formats like .3ds and .max. I haven't worked any contracts (I'm in talks with a few independent projects) but many of the mod/project offers I've had for the past year have all expected me to use or "grab" Max. And have sent me files only Max can read. This type of business ethic shows an enormous flaw in the game community, a monopoly, and a lack of responsibility from young artists. This problem with incompatibility and broken support for commonly used tools is calling for standards to be put in place. It needs the backbone of the industry to set protocols for exchanging information. And it needs a message sent to all potential artists to actually show support for their software if they decide to earn a living from it. Investing time and money into it. Otherwise, the mod community and outsourcing studios will always have problems and never thrive.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    set protocols for exchanging information. And it needs a message sent to all potential artists to actually show support for their software if they decide to earn a living from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on paid work, but getting from point a to b requires some leeway IMOHO. Especially with unpaid work. Or even more say someone does pay for one of the standards only to find out the potential client or even full employer expects/wants you to know the other before you start. I don't know how many independant individuals can balance multiple software license payments.

The only really good advice I have heard is after your first contract job, if you haven't bought the software, its a moral obligation to then get it right then and there as your first purchase.

I remember paying a full license for trueSpace. How much have I used it in of my game projects? 0.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Aww man... just out of the age range. Oh well back to the deep fat fryer. Where all the big talent starts from!

Hehe. It's a cool post, and quite true which probably makes it funnier. As Daz said though, there are some just as unprofessional companies too.

Definately prefer full-time work.
    The Mod-Scene used to be very bad, not sure what it's like now though. Be interesting to see if any sort of professionalism, or atleast some respect for the people being worked with has crept in.

I doubt it though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy: The standards would be opensource and available to all who choose to implement them.

As for people not accepting critism and being lazy. Not much you can do about that, except find a better recruiting staff. In the end, it all shows how this business is still in its infancy. Or, the beginning of the end.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i'd make all game creation software easilly piratable, since think about it, most of their money does NOT come from random individuals who do freelance work, I mean theres plenty of those, but when you think about it, the majority of artists that get PAID for their work actually work somewhere on fulltime, most of the game creation software developer's money comes from selling the software to other developers, and by that I mean companies, you compare a company buying your software, like say about 20-30 licenses with possible future upgrades every 6 months or so... to a random joe shmo buying it, the difference in money has got to be pretty obvious.

anyways with that said the people who do end up pirating are the ones who don't have the money to spare, like students, modders, random people who are either learning or not really making that much money working with the software. I honestly don't see how that degrades the industry. seriously the industry isn't going anywhere, the software companies will still be there and nothing's ever going to happen, students and modders pirating the software isn't going to make the industry bankrupt or make the software developers go out of business...

ANYWAYS, I haven't really been treated badly doing contract work (Liquid's been surprizingly good to me, so I can't complain), pretty much ever, minus the one time when I was working for a friend, and he realized how fast I was and said their company from now on *expected* me to make 2 character skins a day, for months.... people that exploit others, especially their friends can all suck my cock.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I just thought it was funny...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message