Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tremulous Q3 is released!

OverFlow
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
OverFlow polycounter lvl 18
I know I haven't posted very much around here, but my team just finished this mod and it sure would be neat to see people play it. smile.gif

The core gameplay is based on an old Quake 2 game we all used to play and love called 'Gloom'. However, if any of you have heard of the Half Life mod 'Natural Selection' you could think of it something like that.

[ QUOTE ]

After a long time in development, Tremulous for Q3 is to be released tonight (Thursday August 11th) at 2100GMT. Installers for Windows and Linux will be available, each about 90Mb in size. Please join #tremulous on irc.quakenet.org in order to get the download as soon as it is available.

Tremulous is a total conversion for Quake III: Arena that blends real-time strategy elements with first-person combat in a futuristic setting. Players may fight as either aliens or humans, choosing between dozens of unique abilities or helping their team by constructing bases out of a multitude of buildable structures.

Tremulous also makes several enhancements to the the Quake 3 engine including a powerful particle system, an enhanced head-up display, and a flexible map system including animated mapobjects and light flares. These changes and the rest of the Tremulous source code are made available to the public under the Open Source Mod License.

Further information is available in the manual and on the website.

promo01_thumb.jpg promo02_thumb.jpg promo03_thumb.jpg

thumbnail.php?id=125 thumbnail.php?id=122

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, those thumbnails feel like not working, but you can still click on them. wink.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OMG TUMBO TREMULOUS IS TOTALLY STEALING NS IDEAS

good stuff overflow smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the release!
    From the news section I can tell that you have been working on it since at least 2001 and it's cool that you managed to ride it out for so long up to a release. Very few can say the same smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    me included.

Do you have to have areana to install this?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Any plans to make this standalone as soon as the Quake3 source is released (still crossing my fingers that it will be in the next few days, during this years QuakeCon smile.gif )?
  • OverFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    me included.

Do you have to have areana to install this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need team arena to play.

[ QUOTE ]
    Any plans to make this standalone as soon as the Quake3 source is released (still crossing my fingers that it will be in the next few days, during this years QuakeCon smile.gif )?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the mod is at all popular, yes, we do plan on making it stand alone along with the next patch.

I've been playing on and off for a couple days. If you join a server with one or two people, others will notice quick, and soon you should get a fairly big enough game going for it to be fun. Thank you all for the kind words too. smile.gif
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    OMG TUMBO TREMULOUS IS TOTALLY STEALING NS IDEAS

good stuff overflow smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    NS my ass! Why haven't people played Gloom... it's such a shame.

Yes, it IS good stuff.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If the mod is at all popular, yes, we do plan on making it stand alone along with the next patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the point is, that only few people have Q3 still installed, and even less install it just for a mod. So in order to become popular you will basicly have to release it as a standalone game.

But since Carmack just said the Q3 source will be released shortly (within a week) that should be no problem right?
    Ok you probably have to redo a few textures, but that should be it, more or less.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Might have to wait for an open source content project anyway, because you can't just slap it on top of q3a's content then release it whole with that, unless you're willing to redo q3's every effect, gfx, etc.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Crylar: Hehe, it was an in-joke... I actually did some models and textures for Tremulous smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Might have to wait for an open source content project anyway, because you can't just slap it on top of q3a's content then release it whole with that, unless you're willing to redo q3's every effect, gfx, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I was oversimplifying it a bit wink.gif
    But I don't know how much of the original Q3 content is still used, some Q3 mods use close to none, so those would have no problem to release the mod as a standalone.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    heh, oops sorry.
    I actualy helpt with some concept design too.
  • OverFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so we are definately planning on making this stand-alone now. However, I think we may start with balancing issues before that. Content-wise, we are actually using very little of the original Q3 content. Just things like muzzle-flash models, and fancy effect shaders. So hopefully, this can get done fairly quickly. wink.gif