Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

2 3D-Arthists needed, nice opportunity proposed

ZeR
ZeR
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ZeR polycounter lvl 18
We are currently looking for 2 3D-Arthists in our team for a new kind of MMORPG game.

We are based in Belgium but teleworking is ok.
We work at the moment on the main game system, the physic engine(Havok) and the database. We badly need 3d models to test the 3d-engine.

Required skills:
- Modling, skinning and animating low/medium polly models.
- Modling large 3d-environements
- Modling and skinning vehicules: cars, hellicopters, submarines, ...

We look for general-purpose justified dedicated members.
Job-opportunity possible in arround 5 months.

We can discuss about remunerations for your delivered work. Currently we spend our funds in the 3d-engine licences and can't pay anyone untill the game reaches commercial status.
As you know MMORPG require alot of maintenance and new content all the time, a Job opportunity for the 3D part will be offered.
When the game reaches commercial status (probably arround the 1st feb 2006 in 5 months) we will pay you for your hard work and propose you to join officially our companny.

Please note we are a bunch of friends making the game we want to play.
We cerntainely dont estimate ourself beeng real professionnals but we tend to reach the same results. We are all perfectionists and work hard every day.
We have a nice concept and we already managed to create all the major features of our game.

If you can spend somme time afther your work and if you are interested joining a motivated team, contact us at:

Bigzer@gmail.com

Give us detailed informations about yourself. Pictures are appreciated.

Best regards

Hanson David

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Havok on an MMORPG?!? Are you planning on doing that clientside or what? MMORPGs are VERY processor intensive (with 40% going to pathfinding already, according to Ralph Koster) for the server, adding a complex physics simulation on top of it will make the server SCREAM. The server has to handle thousands of players and a few hundred thousand NPCs already, where do you want to add Havok there?

How about giving some information about the game itself? Currently it sounds just like all the other failed amateur MMOs out there.

And this: Currently we spend our funds in the 3d-engine licences and can't pay anyone untill the game reaches commercial status. is bad. MMOs require a LOT of money to set up and maintain the server infrastructure, if you have trouble affording an engine I don't think you have the millions set aside you're going to need for setting up and maintaining the servers. Be realistic, you won't see a few hundred thousand paying players immediately so you'll need to make sure you could survive a worst case scenario for quite some time. Development can be done in the garage, running a server of this capacity not.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with KDR, this really sounds like it's doomed to fail.
    I mean, as much as i want to encourage gamedevelopment in Belgium (as it stands now we have about 1 company that's doing good), i suggest you start a lot smaller.
    But since you say you've created all the major features, i'll bite: if you can show me what you've been working on, and i like it, i'll help out with a few models/textures, just to get you started in that area.
  • ZeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeR polycounter lvl 18
    Dear KDR and MightyPea,

I understand I did not tell how we manage the phisics and how the game plays.
    Phisics are only on the client side. We d'ont need or expect to integrate them in any other way.

As I wrote, we are introducing a new kind of gameplay with various additions to what you can find arround the world. I think you can compare it to the network system used by Guildwars. It is going to be a Hybrid Mass Multiplayer.

About the funds;
    Personally I own a IT companny for 3 years now, I am based in Belgium and knows the basics of business wink.gif.

MightyPea, Idlike to show you our current work, but as I speak right now, we did not compiled any parts of our game yet.
    We use a Object oriented engine; we make up parts of the game and includes them later on in any project we want with a verry little work. What I can show you are basic technical samples of our work (no special effects, no beautifull models or textures).

Our current work are Cars with the physics (locally calculated wink.gif , gta style player entering cars, going out..., friendlists with online status, console for chat, somme interaction tools etc.

If you are interested in our project, if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me back:
    bigzer@gmail.com

Best regards
    Hanson David
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Our current work are Cars with the physics (locally calculated)

So the cars move in a straight line no matter what the physics say because only the client knows the physics state? I don't get the point of that. Or do you rely on client calculations?
  • ZeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeR polycounter lvl 18
    Let me explain you how we manage to do that:

Think about a ball attached to a elastic wire. When you take that wire and move it 30cm farther, the ball will follow that position.

Now replace the metaphore with the reality;
    Take the car, attache it to an "elastic wire", at the end of the wire put the position of the client. When the client will move, he will take the car with him. The car and only the car will be calculated on the client side ^^.

We combine this with animation/direction/speed of the model with client prediction. Results are nice.

Best regards
    Hanson David
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll tell you what, i've been involved with far too many things that have gone entirely nowhere, so i'll say this:
    feel free to contact me when you have something to show, codingwise. don't worry about graphical content, just get me a compiled demo that shows of what you're trying to do. Whereabouts belgium do you live anyway? flanders or wallonia?