Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pheew , some pimps at last

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
tired of moaning in general discussion i decied to post a couple of images from my first commercial project( brian lara International cricket) No that proud of this stuff but what the heck
sydney.jpg
[img]http://www.skinnybobthejester.com/sample 7.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.skinnybobthejester.com/sample 8.jpg[/img] sydney2.jpgsydney3.jpg
[image] [img]http://www.skinnybobthejester.com/nasser hussain.jpg[/img] [/image]

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool stuff ... that's an awfully blurry grass texture going on there, though! I spy a mirrored tree smile.gif

Darren Gough's head looks really wide... maybe just because it's a front view, it probably looks ok in perspective.

Good job on Nasser Hussain, very recognisable, although maybe a little darker skin with more colour variation and saturation might have looked a little more lifelike? I dunno what your restrictions were though, maybe it was a limited-palette thing?

Seeing the heads in perspective would be good, I'm inclined to think they're too wide now, but I suspect that's just because you rendered them in an orthogonal view?

Good stuff though Ruz, nice getting in a published game too!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah perhaps the head is a bit wide, but we worked from a base head/skin tone specific texture, so there was only so much I could do. i actually got a lot of stick for making them too realistic . go figure
    I am not really an environmental artist, but its nice for a change to try an environment

haha I just noticed that mirrored tree. no one noticed that. grass was just a temporary one, the real one is pretty nice

nasser hussain was a pain to get right man
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I really like them, they have that hand-drawn yet realistic and recognisable feel - much like Pro Evolution. (Compared to say stick a photo on FIFA).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah i prefer hand drawn textures. I have never done any photo overlay stuff. Not my cup of tea really
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Wooha ! great work Ruz, i specialy like the first character. It pretty much looks like the real one.

looks like great fun, keep us updated.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice and clean Ruz. I agree with MoP on the width of Gough's head. And I couldn't agree more how much nicer this looks than the messy photoslapping a la Fifa soccer look. The topology of that mesh for Hussain is a bit strange, but you didn't make the mesh I take it?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the base head was very wide too( modelled by one of the leads ) It would have been too hard to change the proportions too much because of the facial rig.
    The facial colours were set by the lead too and they were pretty much monochrome colours.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Those faces are pretty wide, you did well to work around it!

Nice work man. smile.gif
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    haha, i have never in my life actually seen a cricket match or a cricket player until this thread. And then this morning i turned on CNN (or is it BBC) world sports and what do i see? interview with nasser hussain! i recognized him instantly, spot on likeness smile.gif nj man
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hehe, well, i sold a hi-fi set to darren gaugh when i used to work in dixons... it was bizzarre that he was there, and even more bizzarre that he didnt mind signing a few autographs on his time off hehe.

good going man =] but gaughs head is a little to wide. other than that its all good.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks guys. i can move away from this stuff now I am leaving swordfish( this friday)

yeah I did mention that the head was too wide early on in the project, but was ignored.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I've always enjoyed your head textures Ruz. That said I'm not sure those are very good likenesses. I think it falls apart at the model level. The geometry seems to not follow the likeness much, but like the artist (be it you or someone else) just blindly followed the orthos, without going back and making sure the 3/4 and the actual details were adherent to the likeness. (if that makes any sense) I like to find two or three ortho shots, and just try to rake in their facial features and do virtual contour drawings in my head of how the features change direction, then go in and work on that one area on the model. I do that back and forth, and then whenever I see an angle that doesn't look quite right, I'll try to figure out what that is.

Anywho, congrats on the title, where are you heading now?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I agree with you poop, but without being too negative, you can only do so much when those in charge don't even want you to make them semi realistic.
    Had to do 3 a day also, which does n't leave a lot for time for refinements

Mostly we did n't have 3-4 views or even side views ,so you do what you can

yeah I am heading for freelance city now, possibly high end stuff.