Home› General Discussion

wtf m8 i kant get no jerbs

DeathTrip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
..ya frown.gif

I've been contacting a bunch of small/indie devs in the NYC area and none have replied back at all.
some of the companies i've contacted
http://www.powerheadgames.com/
http://www.blackhammergame.com/
http://www.brooklyngames.com/etemplates/index.html

my site
http://www.deathtrip3d.com/

any help/tips as to what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Site looks good and art looks alright, maybe a clear resume would help. Your font has a nice style, but it's tough to read, I didn't notice your email at the top of the page as I thought it was some distored shapes.
    These jobs you apply to, do you apply once a week and keep doing this until you get a response? You have to keep it up as it's real easy to lose one contact in an inbox full of applicants.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    I dont have any formal education in 3D(self-taught from observing the work of the pros online and tutes) and I dont have any industry experience so a resume would look pretty empty. I was thinking the same thing about the email link font too, I'll try out some other fonts or edit it so it reads easier. I'll keep applying.

Thanks for the tips smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I guess you need more finished stuff, most is untextured, and the variety of things is also quite limited (vehicles and buildings). But I am really just guessing since I am no professional.

Edit: Have you actually check on what these companies are working on? Maybe they just don't need realistic cars and citybuildings wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hey man... I used to live in NYC (brooklyn) and I can tell ya... getting a job there doing 3d stuff sucks ASS, the companies u listed are really small and poor, they really can't afford to hire people, I'm pretty sure they're made up of like college friends, a couple of friends of mine used to work for blackhammer, the stuff they make is pretty crappy. Theres also gameloft, but they seem pretty n00bish as well.. i dunno, I've applied there on multiple occasions and still haven't gotten a single response... I mean come on... I've gotten at least SOMETHING from even the best of the game companies out there, but nothing from gameloft. heh.

NYC Game companies pretty much = a dead end, get out of there. Theres a few places u should look into for moving, east coast, around virginia/maryland/north carolina area has quite a few good game dev houses that are actually serious about making games. Mythic, Bethesda, Big Huge Games, Epic... and so on pretty neat list. Or you could always try texas or california, I ended up going to texas, working as the main character artist for Ritual now, it rocks, living here is cheap too, anyways IM me or something if you want to talk more about this stuff.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I think your stuff looks great. But, I think the industry is presently in what you could call a "transitional period." Your portfolio shows no ability to do hi-rez and/or normal maps which is where the game industry seems to be going these days. All of your work is very solid but does not demonstrate an ability for next-gen stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong here, please, people.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    NOBODY in NYC is doing next gen stuff, but then again I don't think anybody there really knows WHAT they're doing. And alot of people aren't doing next gen period. My advice is to make more cool looking environment pieces, realistic environments would be the best bet, possibly something with normal maps, its not essential, but it'll look good. Overall I see you leaning more on the environment side of things, so I'd suggest keeping up on that. Don't give up, its likely that it will be awhile till ur able to land a job, you have to be good and impress people with your work, do more of it, join a mod, learn how games are made, you'll get a job eventually it just takes time.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    You have what it takes. It also takes patience just like rockstar says.
    I agree with astrozombie in regards to next-gen samples. True, there are plenty of games being made that don't require next-gen skills, but you'll have to learn it eventually, so start now.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    DeathTrip: your work is much more stunning than the work pumped out by these indies. Why not aim higher?

They probably only run 3 or 4 man teams anyway.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I work for a small indie firm, and it's probably harder to get work here than at a larger more prestigious company. Overheads are small, and IMO they tend to recruit friends or associates - and are nervous about 'new' people. You're far better off freelancing for them (if you can get it), anything part-time or off-site is fine for starting a resume, and building confidence/getting your name known. On the whole, do as Hawken says and aim high, and don't under-value your impressive skills.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Lose that font.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Coupla quick points:
    You spelled it "Slyline" on the image page for the blue car... also, I think the seat covers on those look pretty awful, I would avoid bump-mapping if you're doing stuff that low-resolution, it just looks nasty.

Pretty solid work overall though, good luck.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    if you spell on your applications like you do on this thread title, i'm not surprised...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I would also recommend no limiting yourself to 1 city or state. If making games its really what you want to do think outwards as well,sometimes you just have to go where the jobs are.