Home General Discussion

PC Case modding?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Who's done it? What'd you do? What do you plan on doin?
Post photos if you've got 'em, post references and tutorials if you got 'em.

I'm startin on a case.. actually an old one.. it was the file / network / database server for my dad's company... I built the original comp ages ago, and built them a new one about a year back, so this thing's just been collecting dust. Grabbed it and began rippin it apart, plan on painting all the exterior panels sublime green (like my barracuda's gonna be) and the interior frame all black (again like the cuda). I'm going to have to make a new front panel since the original's plastic.. probably use some perferated aluminum, which has resulted in modifying the brackets that hold cd-drives in place (they're designed to slide out for quick replacement).
First real case mod i've done (put view panels and lights before, but never painted or modified the case).. so how bout you guys?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, I found out how easy it is for a skillsaw to not go in a straight line, I'm still figuring out how I'm going to fix the front of my aluminum case.
  • Creamy_Goodness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creamy_Goodness polycounter lvl 18
    > The picture you linked to is broken. I'd really like to get a look see at what your mod looks like.

> Anyways, I actually do have a PC case I've been working on since November of 2003. I built the case from scratch, so I don't know if it could be classified as a mod. I call it the Creamy Entertainment System, a game console inspired, compact desktop machine. I was going to enter CES in this year's QuakeCon mod contest, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the trip.

ces_chassis_-_left.jpg
    ces_chassis_-_right.jpg

> I'm keeping a written and photo log of the build on my website.
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/iwow/Builds/CES_Log_Page(fs).html

> If you really want to see a good mod, there's this guy called ZapWizard who made a PC out of an old ammo box. This is by far my favorite case mod.
    http://www.zapwizard.com/LANPC/index.html
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    ive got a couple of old cases(with random parts still in them) here i bought at the local university bi-monthly surplus sale for $1 each. i was going to use them as canvases to paint on but it's been 3 or 4 months now and they are just lying in pieces in my floor.... :\
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for some reason it wouldnt let me edit the url.. so here it is:
    http://www.antec.com/productImageLarge.php?ProdID=81003
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I had planned to stick my constantly overheating router(after removing its casing) in the case of my main computer then dremel up a mounting bracket for the back. then swap out the power and reset button for some cool vandal proof switches. An idea I was bouncing around was to replace the plastic front with a really thick steel plate, but I've been too busy to do much of this.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Old comp got owned in car wreck.

New comp isn't fully modded yet.

Still have a picture of one of my XBOXs (I've done several, but this is the only one I have a picture of right now)
    pwn.jpg
    pwn2.jpg

I have tons of modded stuff (from tables to comps to cars), but my digi cam took a dump on itself for a while, so I'll have to retake them and post em in here tommorow laugh.gif

ULTIMATE MOD
    leetness.jpg

In the HEB parking lot...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic.. nice, i did a case mod on my modded xbox, but i've ripped it apart enough times doing different modifications that i've just got it clamped together for the time being...
    i did something similar to that, sonic, but what i did was strap my laptop to the back of the passenger chair in my mom's Avalanche, and took a usb vid-in add-on, and powered my xbox by an inverter installed on the truck.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I just got a cheap aluminum case off a friend (beige, what a wonderful colour, I'll be painting it black or blue). Tonight I'll be drilling some holes, and adding a 120 mm side intake fan over the AGP card / CPU, Front 80 mm Antec Blue LED fan in front of the 2 HDD's I have, and adding front USB ports.

I also have a Antec Sonata case with 2 - 120 mm Silent fans, and thinking about adding a 3rd 120 mm side intake Fan (more drilling? yay...) Kinda finicky about drilling holes in the Sonata case. The piano black paint still shines.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've got my case ripped apart, and i've already painted the frame gloss black and clear coated it once.. been to Orchard Supply and Home Depot three times in the past two days (for supplies for other home projects) and completely forgotten to bring along the paint chip i have from one of the barracuda's parts. gonna put the chip in my vette so the next time i'm out i dont forget again.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm.. well.. coming up with the 'sublime' green paint is proving to be nigh impossible, i've got one last hobby store in the area that i'm hoping on...

if this should fail, i've come up with an alternative paint job i've always fancied:
    http://www.ktsmotorsportsgarage.com/bbdo-i/images/ferrari-hood.jpg
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Just goto a auto/garage store and pick-up acouple of green paint bombs there :P