Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Modeller/Animator wanted for GameDev contest

RickA
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RickA polycounter lvl 18
As some of you may know, GameDev.net is running a contest. The aim of the contest is to create a game featuring at least two of the following: robot, ninja, pirate, zombie.

I've decided to enter this competetion, and while I can take care of the coding, and already have a friend working on the design, we are lacking someone to take care of the art side of the project.

Some information about our entry:
- The main game will be similar to Lost Vikings, but with a lighter mood. The game is meant to be humerous, so expect many jokes in the game.
- 3D world using the Quake 3 map format. This means levels can be created and previewed in any editor that supports that format. I am currently using GtkRadiant for testing. Although the world is 3D, the view will always be from the side.
- Animated models using vertex skinning. This is done using the Doom3 MD5Mesh/MD5Anim format. This means that the models can be created with any package that can export these formats.
- The current state of the game is pre-alpha. Due to time shortage (which will be over at the end of august) not much has been done except R&D to load the above elements.

As an artist you would be responsible for all the models and animations, as well as the texturing. Preferably the texturing of the levels as well, but this may be too much with regards to the amount of work to do. Level textures can be found if needed.

What needs to be done?
The game will most probably feature 1 ninja, 1 robot and 1 pirate as controllable characters. This means that each of these will need a relatively large number of animation sequences. However, the models need not be as detailed as the Doom3 models, since the view is not 1st person. Because of the mood of the game, I was hoping to get some extended idle animations.
The zombies will be the enemies. Probably 3 or 4 types of zombie would be needed (although 1 is enough to start with). Because these enemies are pretty generic, only a limited amount of animations would be needed: walk, attack, gethit basically.

Who am I?
Well, the easiest way to see what I've been up to so far is take a look at my site. You'll notice that I've already won a previous competetion at GameDev, so I hope that will show my determination in finishing this project.

Prizes?
Depending on what we win, the bounty will be divided among us three equally. Depending on what it is exactly, you may be free to take the entire prize or not.

You can contact me by replying here, sending me a PM, or sending me an email from my webpage.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Hey rick, Im pretty interested in this. It'd be great to be able to work on a small scale "doable" project that would only last a few months.

However, Im also worried as to whether it would be possible to complete this project before the contest ends. You're asking for a lot of work to be done. I could definitely handle a few player models and animations without too much of a problem in the time scale, however, when you throw in level design and creation, things get a LOT harder and more time consuming.

What type of specs will the models have? and do you really think its possible to complete this in time?
  • RickA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RickA polycounter lvl 18
    First of all thank you for your reaction. Next, your questions.

- Is it doable?
    I believe it is. It might not be extremely easy to do in the mentioned timeframe, but I'm pretty dedicated to finish at least something playable.

I feel the project is entirely capable of standing on it's feet with only part of the content I mentioned above. The three controllable players are set. There are two or three special abilities for each character which require unique animations. Apart from that we have three or four other animations which could be shared between the characters if time runs out. These would be the walk/run, die, gethit animation (not set in stone, but you get the idea).

The opponents can be cut down do a single enemy with the following four animations (walk, gethit, attack, die).

- Regarding the level work.
    You need not create the levels. We can do that (although if you have time and feel inclined you are certainly welcome). And I half expect the models to take enough time, hence I mentioned that the task of texturing the levels could be removed, and we'll just use generic, free textures from somewhere. If I'm right, the design of the levels should be pretty much done by my friend (although here again, you would be welcome to participate).

- Model specs.
    This are not set in anyway, but just to give you my own estimate: the characters (and the enemies) will be about a thumblength high maximum. So I'm thinking a polycount of two or three thousand should be enough. The number of bones used for the animation is likewise pretty low I guess. No fancy finger or toe bones, just the general features. Basically think about the level of Quake 3 player characters, and I think you'll get the idea.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them.

Have you got some samples of your previous work?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, that all sounds pretty good. I have a few other questions such as what style the art should be (cartoony, realistic, etc), but everything seems to be pretty chill.

How about you msg me on instant messenger and I can give you a few links to some of my other work. Heres my info:

MSN: bboybris@hotmail.com
    AIM: aesir33
    AIM: aesur (yea I have 2 aim accounts. both are usually running)

feel free to msg me anytime.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Are you still looking for someone RickA? If so please send me an email at stellar1274@hotmail.com or AIM name: JustinKovac
    I sent you an email as well. Thanks