Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Witch Hunter

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
First real attempt at something Hi-poly. I've decided to quit on it how it is now. Too many things I'd like to change and I think I'd be better off starting again from scratch. Good learning experience though. I'd like to thank Daz for his great Moff Tarkin tutorial, helped me alot.

Anyway, please let me know what you think wink.gif

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5.jpg

Final6.jpg

Final7.jpg

Progress.jpg

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it's wonderfull stuff. good form for the meshsmooth.

one thing I would like to add is that his grimace is more of an expression as a set rather than a base expression to base a set on.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i think i would make the bone of the nose a little more prominate as well as sharpen some the creases of the tip of the nose because right now it looks a little too round. just a few more loops to define and seperate the forms. or you might have enough loops now but just need to move them a little closer together.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THIS is great!

Crits:
    - I think the tip of his nose dips down too far.
    - I think his mouth is too wide, normally if you draw straight lines down from the pupils, the corners of the mouth should end at the lines, or alittle before it.
    - The monocle has a crap load of polys to it and I really don't understand why?

Great stuff, I like how you did the texture on the top of the head to simulate stuble, great stuff! Keep this stuff comin!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the intention is great, but i think the problem lies in the fact you tried to put too much personality by pushing his facial features too far without a solid base skeleton.

you can only push the (super)facial features if you pushe the skeleton first. and you can not push the skeleton if your base skeleton is bad. the result would be what you made, where the errors show a gap in basic knowladge, and this is what you should be working on, rather than pixel pushing his eyebrows.

perhaps i should not attempt a paintover with a mouse but i feel not making one makes this reply a little passive. if this upsets you in any way ill remove it, no prob. i tried to maintain your skeleton as much as i could while still making sense.

po_hatty.jpg

you try yourself to draw the socket, according to the render. then, easily place an eyeball in that socket. then, place the eyelids and skin folds around that eyeball. what you painted superfaically shows 0 anatomical construction. i say this so blantly since, superfacially, i cannot see any anatomical landmarks. unless you have 2 kilos of makeup on your face, anatomical landmarks are evident. despite the fact he is wearing a rather suspcious looking hat, i dont think he is the sort of man that uses make up wink.gif

the lips tissue doesnt connect to where you place the corners of the mouth. they connect roughly where i painted the green line. the extended mouth line should actually be the skin tissue that hangs over the corners, its not really the mouth line (though in a 2d drawing it may seem that way). therefore, there shouldnt be any highlight below that area.

also, and this is evident in other models in your portfolio, the skull doesnt engulf the brain properly. looking at the far side of the face, from the brow and up it is not correct. the brain is deeper inside the skull, and therefore the skull should sink deeper after the brow/socket curve, roughly where you placed the scar. normally, when people get a scar its just there, on the side of the brow, where the plain changes, and the bone is sharp.

when i met andrew jones in the san fransisco ca.org workshop, he looked into every single sketchbook people handed him and gave everyone the exact same feedback: "study the skull"
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken : Thanks mate. The pics I've posted aren't actually his base expression, here's the neutral pose. Which probably should be more neutral...

Blank.jpg

Asherr : The nose was bothering me a bit from the beggining. I wish I'd thought of these things back then. Argh, the nose looks worse and worse everytime I see it now frown.gif

Vig : Thanks Vig smile.gif Your right, the mouth is too wide. Last time I follow my brother's sketches so closely :P 2D doesn't always translate directly to 3d that well... frown.gif
    I'm not sure why the monocle is so dense. There is some detail on it that's too far away to see. I guess because it was meant just as a hi-poly, non game piece that I got lazy and didn't worry about keeping it poly-effeicient.

Shotgun : Thanks for the crtique shotgun. I see what your saying, and the errors you pointed out look like the main reason everything looks kinda 'off'. Feel free to paint over any of my stuff, I love paint overs laugh.gif. Hm, I think I'll right down these points you've made so I remember them. Also think it's time to start studying anatomy more seriously. Thanks for the help mate smile.gif