Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New website design.first pass

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi this more or less what my new site is going to look like. It's getting it to work correctly has been a pain in the butt. The basic idea behind it is to have potencial employers see my best 3D work. It's still very broken and the only thing working right are the thumbnails. This is what the start page will look like.

site.jpg

This the current state of the site. Let me know what you think.

Alex
new site

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good start. I like that you put your portfolio right on the main page. The way you setup the page is a bit tricky with my scrollbar, as though it's forced into one size. Probably don't need that 2d section since you want to sell your 3D art skills. Use your real name on the site opposed to 'Aps Entertainment'. Since it's a job site, no sense fooling people into believing your an art house, and put your email address on this main page too! Give details on your model images, triangle count, texture sizes. Your email address or site url as a watermark is a good idea for all site images. For example, someone likes your art, saves it, then passed it around a company. With your site address on the image, they can always find you.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Seems uncluttered and focused. I don't know how expandable the layout will be when you want to show more pieces, but that can be a good thing, meaning you focus on showing only your best stuff.

Couple of HTML points. I would think about aligning the frame in the centre horizontally, and also making the backround property a darker colour. At the moment I get a black area with your work in sitting in the top left of a screen of white (in Firefox).

Some HTML errors that came up:

body background=" template.jp" <- Is this missing?
    your image anchors are often defined twice, once in the div id="*****" and again in onMouseUp="MM_showHideLayers('*****'

You are missing a DOCTYPE declaration.

I notice that I don't get the row of thumbnails along the bottom, either. An warning was kicked up about the 'lowersrc' attribute.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I cleaned up my code and got the site layout mostly done. I'll be adding the polycounts and texture pages next time. The only links that work right now are from the models in the 3D section. The main navigation bar is dead. Thanks for the feedback. Let me know what you think.

Alex updated site
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I like the design, I have a few crits if u don't mind smile.gif

You have some great models on the website.

Instead of clicking Wire or Tex, could make it a rollover. The first image would be the textured model and rollover into wireframe.

Also, you can obviously texture very well, so why not show the visitors your texture maps. That way they can see how you laid out the UVs for texturing.

I saw someone else smile.gif also did the art test for stainless steel studios.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'd center your table rather than justifying it to the left. Also, create a title for your page so it doesn't say title01 wink.gif (Small nit pik). I'd also suggest making some temporary "coming soon" pages for your links until you get those pages completed.

Looks good though. My only cocern for it's future is the space limitation of your design. Currently you have locations reserved for 3 more samples, then maybe the right side, but after that, where do you plan on placing them?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    it takes a little while to load, maybe you could simply the number of images for the page to load, and give the user more of a choice as to what to look at. the thumbnails are cool enough to make me want to click on each one - my personal suggestion would be to simplify the pages to optimize loading so people enjoy looking at the site smile.gif

btw, that red gun is fucking cool.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Alex, I noticed clicking your thumbnails loads a whole new page with all the same thumbnails on it. This must be a hassle to update. Why not setup all your thumbnails in a frame at the top or on the side? This could really organize your site and make updating easy. You also have no contact information on your current version. I know this site is very wip, but your contact is as important as your art on a portfolio site.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    your index page still justified to the left while clicking on anything is centered.. smile.gif good stuff
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Don't forget to change the TITLE head tag before you're done. Bookmarking "title01" doesn't help the old self promotion. smile.gif