Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Normalmaped monster pimp.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
palm polycounter lvl 18
Hello folks.
Here’s a cute little monster a friend and me did a couple of weeks back. I thought I would post it here. The picture is a “print screen” from the max view port. We used a custom made shader. The little fellow has one normal map, specular map, diffuse map, glowmap and a dds reflection map. It weight in at 3800 triangles. Maybe Ill figure out how to put it into doom one day, but for now the maxviewport will do.

creeper_maxviewport_shaded_199.jpg
creeper_maxviewport_wirefra_350.jpg

You can download a walkcycle from here if you are interested.

/Palm

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    wow. That is simply amazing. You were able to take a screengrab off a completely blank screen. OH WAIT, on that second pic i see a little white line at the bottom left. And maybe theres a tad bit of orange in the top one... Probably just my imagination.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    =D.. What are you talking about?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ah ok, watched the walk cycle. Now that I can see it, thats actually a pretty awesome creature. Cool desing, although it does look a bit uncomfortable to be walking on its spikes like that... Definitely a good use of a normal map. The diffuse might do well with a bit more texture in a few places like the tail and legs. It looks like an almost flat shaded color there. Otherwise, great work.

PS: palm, I was talking about how I cant see shit in those screengrabs. They look like black squares.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aesir: stop being a dick. Screen-brightness is sure to vary across the line, and yours is obviously far too dark.
    Palm: nice model, allthough right now you're losing a lot of the present detail because of the monotonous texture. Perhaps some lighter grays to break it up, and some things like a more spotty texture? The "face" is also a bit ambiguous, i'm not sure what's going on there. It's just a bit too face-like not to be a face (i spot a nose, lips, etc...), and not facelike enough to er... you get the point, right?
    Maybe some more angles would be nice as well.
    Good work though, and nice use of the normalmap
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I can make out the pictures, but I have to turn up my brightness a crapload... I couldnt see anything other than black in the second one...

As far my screen being too dark, maybe its just that I have to look at it all day, but leaving it this bright actually hurts my eyes after a while.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    HAR HAR! glad u pimp this, its cool dudeee, Maybe I'll do some more Normal crap because of that! GOOD WERK

and aesir, retard , Do some art then complain, HAR!

b1ll
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hey looks cool, clean mesh and the "lava" veins are well put to, you can clearly see where the front and where the back is. Maybe the frontlegs desere a bit of that glow to, to inhance him even more.

I like the design but the backlegs look a bit to much like from a muscley goat to me, wich looks a bit weird when you see the monster from the front.
    The horns at the side also look a bit to soft and rounded to me, I would think rugged pointyer ones would also make him rougher.

The tail at the back also seems a bit, not agressive enough wink.gif

The walkcycle is good but I think when he puts his weight on the frontlegs you should see it a bit more how much wait he is putting on them. They are connected to a balljoint with not alot of muscles. When a big body like that with so much weight puts pressure on them, they should really bend down further, faster and more agressive wich would enhance the fear of the beast. (aaaaaaaahhhh wink.gif )

Other than that I love the thing. I like the color, sheme, clean modeling and cool idea. smile.gif
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty awesome.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    f'ing killer job.
    you said you and your friend worked on it? what did each of you contribute to the final result?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    tight, that spec/reflection map are really making a difference, looks very cool smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    har har har the lava type shader makes me hot down there
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i like it alot, the lava veins give it a real good sense of mass. looks like it is fookin huge smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, I think the video shows off the model much better. Great work. smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i agree with how walking on those front limbs is rather suspicious, but i think its very nice job all around.

the contrast of the energy veins works great, i personally like this design approach.

however! smile.gif its starting to look old.. this lava style is getting too familiar and deserves more style to make it more unique. while it does honestly look nice, i think you could and even should push it further, elaborate it more. understanding he is internally flooded with this energy, it should deffinately be more evident superfacially. right now, i think it only works as eye candy.

for example: you can see through his lungs, like smaller veins glowing as he is breathing. anything that is not fleshy organic, like the spikes (?), the horse legs, the scales on the back, has a little glow to it; this will emphasise the contrast. you might also want to consider emenating the eyes as well, for a focal point, since they get a little lost in the darkness.

oh the tail is a nice kinky touch, i liked it
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    its sick man, you guys did a great job. awesome design A+
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    The screengrabs really don't do the model justice. I saw the screengrabs and dismissed it immediately because I couldn't see the normal map having any useful effect on the model.
    After seeing it in motion though, it looks pretty sweet.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That render is CRAP but i love the avi...
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    nice monster, though I think the proportions are kinda off. I think the monster is "unbelievble".

The animation is good, though there is A LOT to do to make it better. Some asymetrical movement and more excessive weight on the moves.

Anyway, the render is too dark. Remember, Dark charcters on light grey ground, lighter characters on dark grey smile.gif

Any Chance to make this script public?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    How did you get all 4 maps to render in the viewport ?? We had a discusion about this not long ago and came to the conclusion the only way to see all 4 maps on a mesh real-time was in the Doom 3 engine ...guess you must know the secret ??? Anyways looks pretty cool smile.gif
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the feedback.=)

Aesir. I know the pics are really dark, but not that dark. Maybe you should calibrate your monitor. wink.gif

I know I could do a lot more on the texture, working with normalmaps is kind of new to me, I’m going to need a few more tries before I get happy with the chars. However, I tried to work as much as possible on the reflection maps etc to get as much as “interaction” in the texture as possible, hmm, you know what I mean.=). I’m going to try a more classical approach on my next attempt.

My friend did the concepts and modelling as well as the shader, and I did mapping and texturing. We tried to get a warhammer and hr giger feel to it. That’s why he doesn’t have any eyes.=) The lava veins where more a result of playing around with a glowmap. Weren’t meant to be there but we kept it since it looked kind of cool.

And maybe I can post the shader for download, maybe. Ill se about that later.

Normalmapped stuff looks so much cooler when moving around, anyways, here is another screen.

creeper_screen2_800.jpg

/Palm
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    thats really nice - love the shells on the back
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work, i love it!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool smile.gif its a little monochromatic, but overall i digs! laugh.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i don't think it's too monochromatic at all; the very muted body coloration heightens the effect of the glowy bits. and the first screenshot presents it better than the brighter one as well smile.gif nicely done.
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is pretty awesome actually, the design while simple I think actually works really well for a game piece (at least in a game more like WoW with lots of color, and less in a game like doom 3), as it looks like it would hold up well from a distance but it still has a lot of cool details for up close, and the magma veins are a nice touch.

Keep making cool stuff!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    First off I think the colors and texturing of this monster look nice, now for some suggestions.

When watching the walk cycle video, it seems as though this creature was designed with only the side profile in mind. From the fron the creature is kinda boring, if you pause it as the camera swings to the front you'll notice that the countour is pretty straight from the head to the feet. The hips should buldge out more, as if there's actual meat and bones under this skin, the stomach and other areas could actually use more overall shape.

The animation is a bit bothersome as well, I think you have the general motion down but there's a lot of quick snapping going on, and on multiple joints. The feet hit the ground at the same time as the front arms and this also happens at the same time as the tail switctching swing directions, This is a very bad thing! It makes the movement of this animal look very static and mechanical, you should offset these movements from each other and it would also help to research how four legged animals walk, there's actually a few different types of strides.

This beast has a lot of potential but it can be pushed a lot further. Keep up the good work and I hope you continue to improve this.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome model! would be a great boss in an MMO or in a Doom 3 mod laugh.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great work, but I'm with Tinman on the boring front profile.

I think he really is nice looking, but looks a bit hollow. I can't see any real evidence he is made up of multiple materials. He seems a hard shell that bends, which might be what you were going for, but some wrinkly softer bits, or some hard deep crevaces could go a long way methinks.

Great job on the specular.