Home Technical Talk

bodypaint?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
anyone tried this. I found it a bit annoying.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i tried the demo for a while. but i much prefer painting on a flat image in photoshop. bodypaint is more helpful to high poly artists...which could also be helpful for artist creating high poly work for normal maps.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it for painting out seams. I found it has better control/more tools than Deep Paint 3D, but takes more initial setup time... getting used to the workflow, customizing the UI.

Biggest beef I have with it is lack of support for multiple UV channels, which DP3D doesn't support either.

But for regular painting/editing Photoshop beats both hands-down, IMO.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah i was n't impressed really. sat through an hour long demo from the sales team , it s eemed quite good, but it turned out to be really slow and IMHO deep paint just seemed better/easier to get the hang of.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya. I'm looking forward to the re-write of DP3D. Maybe in my lifetime, haven't heard any news for awhile. But what I saw awhile back looked good.

Some public info here...
    http://www.righthemisphere.com/forum/sho...p;threadid=2684
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using it alot lately for getting areas blocked out for things like patterns and lines that wrap around the mesh. I wish the viewport settings were easeier to work with. I also wish they had the same layer blend modes as photoshop. Helps when bringing in the psd to work on in layers.
    But I'm liking it alot more now that I've got the controls down a fair bit.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    GhostPainter is pretty good, cheaper than other 3d painters, it integrates photoshop with max
    http://www.cebas.com/products/products.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=5
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I'm holding off on any 3d painting apps till I see what the Modo 2 upgrade offers. They've added paint tools and zbrush-like functionality by the look of things. Too soon to say if it will be any good yet, but considering what they've done with the app so far, I've got high hopes.

Price-wise, you'd spend about the same as you would for BP - with the added benefit of getting a full fledged modeling app with rendering capability on top.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostpainter isn't projection paint though... the brush size will change when painting across UV edges, if the texel size changes between the UV chunks. Projection paint avoids this.

BP2 seems to be faster going in/out of projection paint as you rotate the model, while DP3D seemed slower.

Gwot, do you know if Modo 2's paint might be supporting multiple UVs? Ala layer1 = uv1, its mask = uv2, layer2 = uv3, etc... Also any clue if they're including projection paint? Definitely sounds intriguing.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry Eric, I don't know much more than that myself. Just seems suspiciously like they are gearing up to supply all the modeling and material tools you need, based on what's been released. I'm hoping the vids they release today will tell more.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I am trying to convince folks that deeppaint is still the way to go.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I couldnt get any layer support in ghost painter... it would always show white when there was transparency on a layer.. making working in more than one layer pointless..
    If there is a way around that I might definately start using it again.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just took a look at using Autodesk's Combustion compositing proggie as a 3d paint tool in Max. Works very similar to Ghostpainter (damn, no projection paint), except Combustion is vector-based (cool, I love the non-destructive workflow and vectors that act like soft paint).

Anyhow, if you're interested it's worth checking out the Paint Live video here:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5574967