Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic Woman

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
Thought I would post this up as it's about as finished as it's gonna get at the minute!!!

Nothing fancy - just a generic, female character with a budget of 2500 polys and a 512x512 map.

I figured it would be good to have some more realistic type work in my portfolio alongside my more stylised/ cartoony stuff. It was really fun to do...apart from the rigging and animation - hah!!!

ORTHOS
orthos2.jpg

CLOSE-UP
heads.jpg

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    HAWT!!!111! Ok, but seriously, looks good. Better than anything i can, or have the patience to make.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    hey mister, how are ya wink.gif

this is a very nice effort from you, deffinately
    i think she would look a lot better naked..
    it would be a better practice for you too hehe

ill point out 2 small things-
    the shadow under he breasts should be smooth, soft and deep.. not sharp.
    and do fix her hand :~
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah - Im not bad Master Shotty wink.gif ... haven't had time to shoot the shit on MSN lately frown.gif ... deadline for the game is Friday though so it will be fun, fun, fun after that!

I knew you would have something to say about the hand anatomy guy! The rig I had to pose it with was a specific size, and so I had to soft-select the character to fit - definately got the wrist bone in the wrong place on the rigged one! Hahah - broken wrists are sooo this season though wink.gif ...and sharp edged breasts just look so much more juicy and delicious...just thought the perky tits added a little bit more character!

I'll make a nekkid version just for you...to lure you to the power of the sharp-edged boobies!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per128 - thanks for the comments. The chunky calves probably comes from having to push and pull the character into a pre-defined rig at work, which had seriously different proportions to the original model. It seems theres no love for the push-up bra boobs so I'll look into that one a bit later.

...and yeah - now I look back the thumb issue is definately apparent *blushes*...will maybe try n fix it on this version, although not sure if I can at this stage?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, I like the texture work (although maybe more darks around the mouth and nose would help)...

The proportion issues are that everything from her hips down seems to scaled up about 130% ... her thighs, calves and feet are huge compared to the fairly realistic proportions you've got for her torso, arms, head and hands.

I think if you grabbed all the polys below the waist, scaled them back to 80% or so, and maybe also put a negative Push modifier on them, she'd look a lot better proportioned.

Nice work though, very clean!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOP: yeah good call indeed. The first version I had of her was a bit more "squat" with shorter legs but a co-worker suggested making them longer...guess I should have stuck with what I had originally! I'll definately look into shortening them tonight and see what the negative push does to the volume aswell.

Thanks for the encouragement aswell wink.gif

PER128: smile.gif Thanks dood smile.gif Are you saying that the wrist area should be wider or the elbow area more slender? I'll try scaling the forearm back a little but it might just be the length of the legs blowing the proportion of everything else out?
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right - I've scaled the legs back to normality a bit...am thinking she looks maybe a bit squat now? Maybe I've just looked at it too long!

Also smoothed the shading on her cleavage (sob sob), and added a tiny bit more contrast to her lips and nose...still not sure about the thumb issue but I think I'll just keep that in mind for my next model.

new_proportions.jpg

EDIT: Fixed monkey arm issue that Shotty pointed out - lol - it had been a long day at work!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think you forgot to scale down her arms eh wink.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    man how is it simplicity can look so good?!?

looks great.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also a close up of the new changes

headnew.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to me as if you have a bit too much blue in the face, on the cheeks specifically.
    The blue looks GREAT in the shadows, i really love it there, but maybe the face could use some more pink/orange tones, like those in the clavicle area. The impression i get now is one of a painted figure, where the paint has worn off on the cheeks.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm - yeah I think I see what you mean Mighty - the highlights on the cheek do look a bit blue...there not really - just a light pink highlight colour but it does look a bit cold maybe. I was trying to keep the highlight more red to show the redness of the cheeks instead of the yellow highligh on the other flesh parts. I'll see if I can get a compromise by playing around at lunch-time.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a bit of warmth to the cheek highlights and a bit of blue to the cleavage shadows. Think its pretty much done now... Im getting itchy to start the next model!
    newest.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    show the hands, there looks like a problem but not enough detail to see.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The shadow on her neck could have a softer edge, when I first saw the model I thought that was a texture seam.