Home General Discussion

Credit Card Security

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

interesting site,the guy who runs in wanted to see how much he could get away with when signing credit cards to test how far he can stay from his actual signature without being caught.

quite funny some of the ways he signs his receipts

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, yeah, I remember a newspaper round here did a similar thing last year, they tried signatures like "I M A Forger" and "Harry Potter" and "Mickey Mouse" ... the thing about signatures like that is, even if the cashiers read Mickey Mouse, they're not gonna ask you, because if your name really IS Mickey Mouse (and it could be!), then the customer might get angry and the cashier would be embarrassed, so they just let it go.

I'm amazed he got away with ones like the grid and the stickman, although the heiroglyphics do resemble a possibly real signature smile.gif

Fun stuff!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    When I was a cashier years ago, a repeat customer of mine would sign the slip with large squiggly circles without even looking. Normally you have two methods of paying with a check card, debit or credit, which I still don't understand and makes PIN numbers pointless. Such a flawed system. Unless I'm ordering online, I pay cash. You know, the monetary unit that requires you to pass elementary school math in order to give change. It is dirty. Wash your hands.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    They've been introducing this whole "Chip and PIN" stuff in the UK recently, so a lot of places these days, you don't sign if you pay by card, you slot it into a reader and type in your PIN number - much more secure, less fraudulent.
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They've been introducing this whole "Chip and PIN" stuff in the UK recently, so a lot of places these days, you don't sign if you pay by card, you slot it into a reader and type in your PIN number - much more secure, less fraudulent.

[/ QUOTE ]

well here in the sates you can charge it as a debit or credit,no distiction is made so in essence the pin number is useless
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't understand why the ability to choose between debit or credit makes the PIN useless? with chip and PIN, if you don't know the number you can't use the card. seems like a good solution to me
  • KaosNKorruption
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    I've noticed that some banks will charge if you use your PIN which I think is stupid. "What?! I have to pay to use MY money?!" But using a PIN is far more secure, and it also seems to get debited from your bank account right away. I've noticed that when I use my debit card as credit at the gas station it takes about three days before the charge actually goes through.
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Signatures are examined not by their shape but rather how you held the pen. So something gets bought with your card and you say you didnt buy it and demand your money back, now the receit (spelling??) gets sent to experts along with your handwriting samples and they decide wether or not it was you who singed it.