Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spider Tank

Finally got some time to do some fun stuff over here again, heres a tank i've been working on, about 2 days into it. Need too add a bunch of details now and rework a couple areas that dont work to well but i think its pimpable now. A lot of the credit on the design goes to dfacto, im sure he'll post some of his sketches here if he wants to.

tankrender012nl.jpg
tankrender022fq.jpg

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    those feet don't look very practical.

I love the microwave cooking timer dial on the top, class.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that looks really cool. smile.gif Great start! You're right about needing the little details. Looking forward to where you go with this though. Love the litte bits in his head like hawken said.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, as I've said before, that turret looks stupid. The gun is practically the size of the turret itself, and that definitely doesn't look right. As I've suggested before, flip the turret around, and make the current back of the tank the front. Chop the gun down to size, make the front "shins" a bit longer, and call it a day. I think that would make it a far more interesting form than the current "turret at the back" kind. I'd also tone down the gun on the belly or remove it altogether. It has a rather limited range, and it's way too large anyways.

I'll sketch up some more stuff later, for the feet and stuff, then we we can work out the details.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, watched the tank episode from GITS:SAC for a little inspiration and redid a few parts, heres what i've got now:
    tankrender033zj.jpg
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I've always prefered the Spider Tank from Dominion Tank Police. The design on the whole, to me looks too soft.

Some sharper edges need to put in there, to give it more shape and a sense that it could realistically work. If you ever checked out the Tank from the original GitS (the one which has 6 legs), the design has quite a bit of counter-balance. Gives it a sense that it can move like a spider. Right now yours look to me more like a beatle with a turrent sticking out of it.

smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this what you're talking about?
    16_wp.JPG

if not could you give me some decent ref, that one seems a little too far out there for what im trying to do.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THAT. IS. COOL!!

*saves to ref folder and drools*
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Can't find one from Dominion Tank Police, I'll trawl my DVDs and see if i can't unearth it.

Have however found this.
    http://homepage1.nifty.com/sasapon/lego_sect6tank.html

This is the battle one from GitS, rather than SAC.
    I'll try to find some better images from in the movie, I've not been overly impressed with the whole overcast and kiddification of SAC. When it was made for TV it lost something the movie had. smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the thing with the series is that shirow wasnt really involved with it much at all, where as he probably had his hands in everything in the first movie... I think the same goes for the second movie was well but im not really certain about this.

That lego thing is cool i saw it a while ago. The tank from the first movie is just about the coolest one there is I would have just modeled that but i wanted to do a unique design something more along the lines of the tanks from episode 2 of SAC(tank episode!) ill see if i can get some screengrabs posted.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    good start but I'm with Per.
    overall I think that more than detailing, it needs a better weight balance aswell.

For the gun, as Per said, you don't need to make it moving because legs will handle aiming, so make a big and solid base and a huge gu, so that those legs can finally have something really heavy to carry smile.gif

as for fast lateral shooting, your gatling guns on the sides will do the job smile.gif

take a look at chico's appleseed mecha he posted here a few months ago, it has a real good weight balance.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you link to that? I can't find a user named chico, and the search function is telling me to go to hell, but I'm curious seeing as I'm a big Shirow fan. :P
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php...=true#Post25039

some screens disapeared though, I'll tell him about that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some small changes, new render:
    tankrender046bz.jpg
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    a bit too heavy pig legs wink.gif

but good improvement on the turret design

though the sketch by per, fixes the problem of "mass" better, by making the turret longer and more centered

I would keep the moveable turret so and not make it fixed, gives it more of a "quick attacker" style. fixed and giant gun would be suitable for some kind of artillery thing.

with lighter legs it would look more like a recon with its smaller guns.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    I have 2 questions for you EQ.

a. Did you model this in max or lw (I know you use both)
    b. Did you model this with polies or sub patches.

Would love to know since I have recently gotten very heavily into sub-patching.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Love the legs, cool stuff. Not too wild about the pea-shooter on top. I'd like to see something a bit more intimidating.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option: Modeled in lightwave in sub-patches and rendered in max. PM me your email address and ill send you the .lwo if you're interested in seeing the mesh.

Sectaurs: If i wanted to make the gun any bigger it really messes up the balance, and i dont want to redo the way it pivots on the back like that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This image shows a good balance between the weight in legs compared to the weight of the body:
    supreme-commander-20050707115327441.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I dunno EQ, I think you could easily get away with making the barrel larger and more intimidating. The large turret suggests to me a beefier gun than you have. Still, looks really cool as it is.