Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

my first unreal character

armagon9177
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
What do you guys think, what could I improve on? Its not finished just yet. Any advice is welcome.

a19ey.jpg

Replies

• Dio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dio polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice for a first. Neck/inner abdomin wiring could use different colored wires. Your going to need to do some geometric and alpha mapping to sell me on the lights on the shoulder pads. My biggest suggestion is not about the character but the posting. To gauge a model we need a couple more angles, wireframe, polycount/polytarget, and texture sizes.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model. Maybe a little more ware n tare might help on the textures. Did you just "mirror" the texture on both side of the model?

Etienne
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dio, Im going to incorperate colored wires. Thats a great idea. Here are some other angles of my character, and a wireframe view. its 4330 polys which is high i know, next time I'll model a bit more conservative with that. Oh the texture size is 2048 X 2048, which of course is going to get shrunk down to 1024 X 1024. I texture at twice the target resolution to try and get as much detail as possible.

Etienne I did just mirror the entire model. I shouldve left maybe the helmt and chest armor out so i couldve got unique wear and scratches on both sides. I'm going to add more rust and scrapes to give it a worn look. Thanks for the suggestions guys, it takes a fresh look and another perspective to point out faults sometimes.

armagon2ou.jpg
    wireframearmagon12or.jpg
  • beserkevalk209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beserkevalk209 polycounter lvl 18
    no offense but id change the head, its really old school and unorginal unless you want it during that era , just a sugguestion?
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard that unreal uses a texture id for the head and the body. Do you guys know if this is true? I currently have it all as one texture. I dont want to have to scrap my UV unwrap and texture to fix the geometry for the head. No offense taken beserkevalk209, I always thought the head was the weak link in the model. Thanks.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One texture will workfine. They made it possible to use two textures to make it easyer to make team colors, and higher detail on faces. There are a few (not many) UT2004 models with only one UVs.

If you need an example let me know, I'll try to find you a link to one of them.

Thanks

Etienne
  • ymalaika
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ymalaika polycounter lvl 18
    The engine automatically swaps out the first skin (the one in the zero slot) with the team color versions (if they are present.) As Etienne says, using one should be fine.

For future reference, I'd suggest that you avoid using more than 2 skins total. although the engine supports it just fine, it may result in UT 2004 not properly swapping out skins during de-rez or with invisibility combos.

I made that mistake when creating the Mars attacks character. I used a third skin for the helmet to minimize rendering artifacts, but the game doesn't handle it properly.

-Y
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey beserkevalk209 I took your advice and replaced the head,
    I ended up with something more robotic which is what i was aiming for. Do you guys think the new head on it looks better(even though its not textured) or the origional head.
    Ill have the texture finished soon now. Are there any ideas you guys have about elements i could put into the head texture? Thanks....Armagon

newheadfinal2bv.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    might i suggest, to 'sell' dio, you include a self illumination map and mask for the shoulder lights and any other places like that on the model, to save on the headache of dealing with some of unreal's handling of alpha maps on-model.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Having said what flaagan said. The new head is much better. smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    the old head was cool frown.gif maybe perhaps have an alternate mesh with it too? (some ut2k4 meshes do this)
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the old head much better.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like them both so ive decided to do both versions, couldnt hurt. One is more robotic and the other is more humanoid for lack of a better term. Thanks for the input guys! smirk.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    could u add some dirt or scratches to the metal, would make the texture less clean and battle ready laugh.gif I really like the character design!
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kinda liked the old head, I'll have to see what textures you will be making for the model's new head.

Etienne
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    When I did the two male punks in UT2004 I included two hair variants and shoulder spikes in the model and hid them with alpha channel... you could include both heads that way... and perhaps some extra pipes or gadgets.

I would suggest pulling down the verts at the center of the chest plates to break up the horizonal squareness...

Like the texture!