Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

n30 goes high poly.

Sean McBride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
So I've started working on my high poly skills and so I figured I'd try out some clothy bits this time around. Still alot to do on this guy but crits and ideas would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

th_red_wip06.jpg
th_red_wip06_fsb.jpg

I'll probobly do a low poly version so I can just continue through the entire process of normal mapping and all that.

Replies

• Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The modelling looks solid but the legs seem way too short.
    Good start grin.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty great thus far. i think the legs seem short because of the tunic. skirts have a tendency to make legs look shorter.

cloth bits look nice, keep it up.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, here's a controll mesh shot so you can accualy seriously crit it!

th_red_wip06_CM.jpg

My reference is a picture of a real man dressed up in this outfit so the legs may be off because of a perspective thing. I'll post a pic without his lower skirt section in a sec.

[edit]

ok worked a bit more on it... running into sort of a problem. I want to do a chainmail colif but the problem is its so high poly even when I turn off all sub-ds I can't manipulate it in real time. I've got a pretty powerful matchine but its really hard to work with... So what I did was I told max to render it as a box and then I bent the flat chainmail. After that I used a FFD box to push the verts around without max having to render htem in real time. That worked ok... but the results give me stretching and stuff. Does anyone have a technique they might share?

th_red_wip07.jpg
    th_red_wip07_chainmail.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The gloves and the pants (where they meet the boots) need more detail. And the helment needs some thickness in the "visor".

Otherwise really well done, although you took an relativly easy subject tongue.gif

Edit: Chainmails are though, but I remember that there was a 'making of' of a really well done male face, with beard and a chainmail on CGtalk not so long ago. Maybe search for it.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Not much to say yet, still needs a lot of detail.

His legs are really too short
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    My main crit is that he looks too broad. His body seems hugely wide. The clothy bits are great, but too obviously symmetrical, it might be worth altering that. Otherwise excellent work
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka: Yep, those are the parts I haven't worked on yet. I just created the basic shape and haven't touched them really. smile.gif Thanks, I did take an easy subject. I'm just starting out on this highpoly stuff so i didn't want to get discuraged. The male face that you were talking about was on cgtalk and it was done in maya. Here

Strange. Hm. I'll look into the leg thing. Yes it does need alot of detail. Long way to go.

KRakarth: From looking up crusader references they all look really broad because of the shoulder armor and the surcoat that they wear over everything. He may be to broad though I'll double check!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a solid start Sean. I would just add when building someone as a bulky costume, it's important to remember that a person has to fit inside it. I'm not that convinced that the legs are too short actually. I think that he's definitely too wide though yes and If you brought that in to give him a more realistic shoulder span, the leg length might look about right? ( although they probably would need bulking up a bit )

sean.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! cool smile.gif thanks Darren. I'll get on that.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    :O!!! ure fired!

nice stuff neo :]
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, Daz has a point. From the glance he is far too wide.

Other than that the model itself looks great. smile.gif