Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pants/crotch mini tutorial

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
hey folks. I recently noticed that some people have problems with the crotch area of their character, and it reminded me that when i started modeling, the crotch was a big, hazy, confusion. so i spent about fuck-all minutes last night and made a little mini tutorial. this is ONE way of doing it. there are plenty others.

----
PLEASE NOTE:
----

as with all my tutorials that deal with lineflow and such, this mesh isn't ment to be astheticaly pleasing. i did this in about 5 minutes.

and now, on with the tut.

when i model legs, i do it 2 ways, usualy. one way is to extend them off the bottom of the torso, and the other way is to build the legs separately, which is what i usualy do if the character is wearing pants, so that there's a nice rim where the pants in the body. i'll cover this method, more or less.

1. i ususaly start with a cylender. i then grab the polies all along one side of the top of the object, like so:

1.jpg

2. i then extrue them out to where the crotch will be:

2.jpg

3. i delete the top of the pants and the inside of the crotch:

3.jpg

4. i now take the points on the inside of the crotch, and pull them down and around untill they form that nice round dip from the side view.

4.jpg

here's an example of what i mean about that 'nice round dip' from the side view, stolen from Mr. Ruggles. i hope you dont mind, Scott smirk.gif

4b.jpg

anyway, you may then want to add additional edge loops heading up and around the leg. you can cut a loop around and then collapse the edge on the triangle you create to make a nice little edge loop like so:

5.jpg
and
6.jpg

from then on, it's just a matter of adding edge loops i find. this is a quick and easy method.

here's an example of a no-time-at-all pair of pants i did for a quick doodle:

7.jpg

questions? comments? i do hope i don't get any responses about the tutorial pics looking anatomicaly wrong crazy.gif

Replies