Offline / Send Message
Amouro polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on this RX-78-2 Gundam.
rx78.jpg
rx782.jpg
rx783.jpg
heres a quick texture i did for the head
rx784.jpg
i'm using a 1/60 scale model as reference but trying to make it look mostly like the old school version.
rx78line.jpg

Replies

• darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    looks good, good flow and all, but i suggest, upping the detail in the face a bit, to make the eye area seem less flat
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an update. im basicly done with the model. it still needs to be unwraped. this model will hopefully be going into UT2003. before i unwrap it, i need to know how do it so i can two seperate texture maps(one for head and one for body). i'm using 3ds max, if anyone can give me some tips on that.
    gundam1.jpg
    gundam2.jpg
    gundam3.jpg
    gundam4.jpg
    gundam5.jpg
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome! looks great! whats the polycount? You maybe able to reduce some polys in the hands.
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so far it weighs in at 3010 tris. i figured that would be right around the upper ranges for UT2003 models. i already got rid of alot of polys in the hands, but i may look into getting rid of some more. there's that beveled edge in the side of the hand i might be able to do with out, but i like the way it looks. i still need to know how to assign multiple textures to it in 3ds max. if anyone can help me with that, it'd be great.
    gundam6.jpg
    gundam7.jpg
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    gundams seems to be all the rage these days smile.gif

It looks real nice tho, solid modelling. What i think you could do is give him some more heroic proportions so he looks a lil more beefed up and badass. make him 8 heads high and beef the shoulders some and see what happens

nj sofar
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    yes , make the head smaller.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unreal2k4 can handle 8kmodels easily, so does ut2k3, so dont be afraid to up the polycount ( ut2k4 will almost render anything you throw at it )

other than that , gj, i dont like the legs that much though
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    know that you point it out the head does look a bit big. i think i still need mess with all the proportions a little.
    i might add some more detail to the backpack aswell. make it look less flat.

darkshadow, why don't you like the legs? is it that you don't like the original design of them or my rendition? i've tried to keep faithfull to the design. i do see a problem with the knees, myself. i just could'nt quite get them to look the way they should. i finaly got to a point that they looked pretty good and left it at that. so other than the knees, i think the legs look good.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    The actual legs are fine, but the proportions aren't quite right.

RX78-2.jpg
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i have that model sitting in front of me right now. its one of Ban Dai's coolest kits btw. anyway, i guess the feet could be a tad bigger. and the shins shorter?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Most important thing is that the head is too big.
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its need knees, th feet, and the head that needs fixing