Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Revolutionary mod in search of talent - Dreamscape

Canuck
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Canuck polycounter lvl 18
Hi Guys smile.gif

I’m Canuck smile.gif. I’m actually an employee at IBM. My work mainly involves anything and everything to do with C/C++ compilers. And as you would probably guess, I am not satisfied with my job. My ultimate dream is to work in the game industry. Therefore, I am dedicating huge portions of my time towards a project called Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank.

Dreamscape is a Third-Person Shooter. For those of you who have played Max Payne, you will feel right at home. The game mechanics are similar. One of the differences is that we will not have a health system. Instead, we will have a realistic pin point system as explained below.

tps_fps.jpg

As a computer scientist, I believe that all great things come from great preparation. The approach we want to take at Lucid Thought Productions is similar to what a software engineer would refer to as the waterfall model. This approach can be understood by the following flow chart:

waterfall.GIF

As a regular member of the team, you will not have to understand the details of this methodology, as most of this jargon will be handled by upper level team members.

We will work in phases. Therefore, we expect our team members to be patient. We will not begin developing until we feel it is the right time to do so.

Currently, we are at the analysis phase.

scapey.gif

The mod, Dreamscape, is set in San Francisco, California. These are some of the features that are planned at this stage:

1. Pin Point System: Precise Damage. Head shots are automatic kills. Limb shots are not deadly, but affect your aim, speed, ability to use certain weapons and other variables. This system will be similar to the Metal Gear Solid 3 system. However, the cure system in Metal Gear Solid 3 will not be implemented in this mod. This system also applies to injuries incurred from car accidents. See feature 6.
2. Point Blank: This system is similar to Splinter Cell’s melee feature. We are planning on adding another layer to what currently exists in Splinter Cell. For example, the direction that your player breaks an NPC’s neck. This would be done via a click on the mouse and then a simple swipe to either direction. The states, death or unconsciousness, will be determined based on the velocity of the swipe.
3. Even though the current logo is somewhat dark, this game is not that much darker than Max Payne. And rest assured, it is no Manhunt.
4. This game is a third-person single-player/multi-player mod.
5. The player will be able to drive vehicles. Some of the vehicles that we are going to offer are the Dodge Viper, Ferrari, Corvette, and Mustang. These vehicles will mainly serve as transportation to the next mission. It will be as free-roaming as in GTA. A good comparison is the game Mafia.
6. We are also planning on having motorcycles in the game. As you have probably seen in GTA, motorcycles are really fun to drive! Also, if your hand has been injured (Pin Point System), motorcycle handling will be more difficult.
7. This game is more of a detective/strategy game than it is a free-for-all violent shooter.
8. Some of weapons offered will be able to shoot through walls, as in Red Faction.

PinPoints.jpg

There is going to be a lot more offered, but as I said, we are currently in the analysis phase.

Lucid Thought Productions is currently offering a Lead 3D Modeling position. A Lead 3D Artist will fit into our team as shown:

hierarchy.jpg

Our main priority at this point is to recruit a determined and motivated 3D Artist. We are looking for someone who is patient and willing to stay on for the long term.

These are the responsibilities of a <u>3D Artist</u>:
1. Object modeling.
2. Weapon modeling.
3. Some animating.
4. Leading the 3D modeling team.
5. Work on 3D modeling portion of the Design Document.
6. And more, if the individual shows talents in other areas.

If you feel that you can perform the following responsibilities and also have fun while doing so, then send me an e-mail at coolcanuckian@yahoo.ca.

Our temporary forums are located at: http://www.dreamscapemod.com/forums/

We have a website under construction at:
http://www.dreamscapemod.com

We are also looking for 2D Artists and 3D animators.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I applaud your presentation. Best of luck with this.
    A design crit if you don't mind: pin point system of accuracy may be better suited for a first person game or firing mode.
  • Canuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your support Chris.

I had a quick look at your website. Nice work. Would you be interested in helping us out?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    lets face it, whereever you get shot its gonna hurt a lot and put you out of action.

being shot in the brain wouldn't kill you 100% of the time. It's horrible to think about but theres loads of stories of people surviving head wounds.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Your system doesn't account for trauma, a few bullets would traumatize a target. Someone can be incapacitated without dying, when e.g. both eyes were shot out (and the brain wasn't damaged, i.e. really tiny caliber) the target is blind and for all means and purposes incapacitated. Same for most body shots. There's a reason the military uses 5.56mm rounds instead of 7.62mm ones, they're less likely to kill but will still incapacitate, an incapacitated target will scream and affect the morale of nearby hostiles.

I don't see what's revolutionary about that game. You describe it yourself as Max Payne with a different damage model. I don't see how Max Payne-style action will go along with players that die from a single shot so it'll probably be closer to Rainbow Six in practice, you have to avoid detection since a firefight is too risky. The hitzones won't make much of a difference unless you're sniping, any automatic will spray enough bullets that you don't have to bother with aiming for certain effects. Or does the game include no automatics and all pistols and rifles are accurate enough to make targeting hitzones meaningful?
  • Canuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We'll take everything you said into consideration. Thanks.

And I know, it's really not revolutionary. I just used the term as a buzzword. smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Good presentation and approach!

I wouldn't pin yourself down to this waterfall model too much or expect that you can follow this through in a straight line. Game development is often more an iterative process where the whole project consists of several waterfall models that are intertwined because of certain dependencies between different assets.
    Unless your team is very experienced with game development and the technology that you are working with and developing is all chewed out and standardised you will end up with some sort of prototyping, research and experiments. When this becomes a part of the design and implementation/production phases of the waterfall approach then you will lose track of the planning and milestones that you might have set.

A way to approach and select your methodology is to chop the game into all the different assests and decide where there are uncertenties. If the game assets with these uncertenties have a dependency on other game assets then you should keep this in mind for the planning of the production of these dependent assets.
    For instance if you were creating a demolition derby game but weren't sure yet how the engine will deal with the visible damage on the cars then it's not wise to model all the cars right away because there might be changes later on which will require remodelling these cars. In this case you should make the research on the engine's damage model a separate mini project with its own waterfall approach within the whole project.
    A great read on this stuff is Rapid Development by Steve McConnell.
  • Canuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi lkraan.

I understand what you mean. I should have used a slightly different waterfall flowchart.

image006.gif

We are planning on having so-called feedback loops. We would be pretty insane to just go into the development phase and develop everything based on our design document, no matter how bad it turns out.

As I said, this a modification of the HL2 game. Everything we will do wlll be just that, a modification of a certain element of the game. Therefore, I don't think there will be many uncertainties or a need to worry about uncertainy.

But anyway, I found your comments to be very insightful. I also found your website very interesting. That Glock 17 would fit nicely into our mod. smile.gif

I know you're probably busy with several projects, but it's worth asking. Are you interested in helping us out?
  • Canuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're still looking for a lead modeler. We want a good modeler who will be able to lead our modeling team.

Here's our website/forum: http://www.dreamscapemod.com/
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhhh, I get the feeling that you are really a full time coder tongue.gif

You write a great deal about methodes, and special cases of implementing a certain system, but what is this MOD actually about (or better what is it's gameplay)?

Saying it will be like Maxpayne, is like saying: "oh we make a computergame... hmmm well it will have gunz (and a realistic hitpoint system) and STUFF, ya'know?"

Still, much better than those idea guys, who just post some brabble about a WW2/CS clone but MUUUUUCH better confused.gif
  • Canuck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're still looking for a solid 3D Modeler. smile.gif

Game: Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank
    Looking for: Lead Modeler, 2D Graphics Artist, Concept Artist, 2D Level Designer (blueprints), Mapper, Writer

Hey guys, I'm the assistant lead at Lucid Thought Productions. We are developing the Half-Life 2 Modification Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank.

rainbow.jpg

Dreamscape is a singleplayer 3rd Person shooter based on Valve's Source technology. The game has been designed to take into consideration different players preferred style of play; whether this be stealth, action or a combination of both. At the same time the design has made sure the game is fun, addictive and easy to play.

Dreamscape has a compelling story set in San Diego, California where the main character is Virgil “the Virgin” Coltreese; a former underground crime ring bodyguard previously an accountant. Virgil gets pulled back into his old life by his brother who has gotten into some serious trouble with a drug ring run by Apollo Kardova, a lowly syndicate kingpin. Apollo's son, Angelo, who isn’t exactly down to earth is more worthy of the title of Kingpin, but must wait patiently for his turn. Virgil runs into an old colleague working for the Kardovas; Job Fisk. Job's an old hitman from the ring he escaped years ago, now working as a Kardova bodyguard. Through Job, Angelo Kardova gives Virgil a chance to rectify his brother’s deeds and keep them both alive. He puts Virgil to work, but soon the Kardova family starts crumbling, all hell breaks loose and the jobs don’t seem to matter as much as staying alive.

While trying to evolve several different previously seen features; the main purpose of Dreamscape is to create an enjoyable game that players will want to keep coming back to.

Features:
    # Realistic depiction of San Diego, California.
    # Pin Point System - Accurate Damage model.
    # Point Blank System - Close Combat fighting
    # Engrossing Storyline.
    # Ability to drive clones of real vehicles. - Corvette, Viper, etc
    # Extensive single-player campaign that spans 15 levels.
    # Control your sanity level or risk commiting suicide.
    # Buy and sell drugs to make a profit. - Buy for cheap, Sell for high. Earn money to buy weapons/ammo.

HUD Plan:
    hud6py.th.jpg

July 2005 - September 2005
    Design Phase.

September 2005 - Completion
    Development Begins.

Currently, we are working on the design document (Design Phase). We are in need of a modeler who can help us finish the modeling portion of the design document as well as become the Lead Modeler of the modeling team.

We are also looking for a graphics artist, concept artist, 2D level designer (blueprints), and Writer.

If you feel that you can help us in any way, please visit our website at: http://www.dreamscapemod.com/ or e-mail me at: coolcanuckian@yahoo.ca

F A Q
    What is this game?

This is an HL2 mod, which is a Half-life 2 modification. This means that we modified HL2 to make this game.

What is Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank?

Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank is a realistic stealth/strategic 3rd person shooter. As in real life, stealth is a very good way to kill someone without being noticed. When stealth is not an option, you have to decide whether it’s smarter to move silently or to move with force. The situation may also decide for you or your body my not be able to perform one or the other.
    Dreamscape will sport many unique features such as the Pin Point System, the Point Blank System, Sanity levels, and more.

What’s the Pin Point System?

There is no health bar; the Pin Point System is about the realism of bullet hits and how they would affect your body. Your Sanity, Agility, Accuracy, Power, and Blood Count, as well as the types of maneuvers you can perform will be affected. The Pin Point System replaces the conventional “100”hp in the corner with true to life consequences.

Sanity: Losing sanity will make your kills more brutal but lose a lot and sometimes you will lose control of your character for a few seconds. Lose all your sanity and you will end up committing suicide.
    Agility: How quickly you can perform moves and run, as well as, how stealthy you can be.
    Accuracy: Your shooting accuracy.
    Power: How strong your melee attacks are.
    Blood Count: Loosing blood will cause your character to get light headed and dizzy, loosing too much blood will cause you to black out for a few seconds, but loose all your blood count and you die of blood loss.

*All hits lower your blood count

Hands:
    1 Shot: Accuracy is reduced by 30% for that hand, Non-lethal Melee attack Power weakened.
    2 Shots: Accuracy is reduced by 40% for that hand; Non-Lethal melee attack power greatly weakened.
    3 Shots: Lose Ability of that hand except for very minor things, opening doors, etc.

Arms:
    1 shot: Arm Accuracy and Melee power weakened.
    2 shots: Arm Accuracy and Melee power greatly weakened.
    3 shots: Arm borderline useless.

Feet/Legs:
    1 shot: slight limp, Agility, and kicking power reduced.
    2 shots: heavier Limp, Agility Reduced, cannot kick.
    3 shots: Barely walk on it, Agility borderline none .
    Both legs shot 3 times: You must drag yourself on the ground.

Lower Head:
    1 shot: Some Sanity lost.
    2 shots: Sanity lost.
    3 shots: Sanity greatly reduced.

Upper Head (Brain):
    1 shot: Dead (unless lucky, Sanity greatly lost).
    If Lucky, 2nd shot: DEAD.

Heart:
    1 shot: Dead (unless lucky, Sanity greatly lost).
    If Lucky, 2nd shot: DEAD.

Lungs:
    1 shot: Power/Agility lost, Blood count starts dropping slowly.
    2 shots: Power/Agility lost, breathing loudly and coughing, cannot perform stealth, and the Blood count drops a bit faster, Sanity lost as you start coughing up blood.
    3 shots: Power/Agility lost, you die very soon if not repaired.

Stomach:
    1 shot: Power/Agility lost, Blood count starts dropping slowly
    2 shots: Power/Agility lost, hunch over in pain and wretch, cannot perform stealth, and the Blood count drops a bit faster, Sanity lost as it hurts like hell
    3 shots: Power/Agility lost, you die very soon if not repaired.

Crotch:
    1 shot: Sanity lost.
    2 shots: More Sanity Lost.
    3 Shots: Sanity greatly lost.

Ok, How About the Point Blank System?

The Point Blank System was created to get rid of the frustrating times that plague most shooters when you are trying to kill someone that is right in front of you. When close enough to an enemy, simply press the Point Blank button to execute them. When closer you can also melee attack or grab enemies.

How does Melee and Grabbing work in Dreamscape?

When within melee distance, you can perform a melee attack. Melee consists of either beating someone down or taking them out silently when without a silencer. Some weapons aren’t that silent, but you can always be silent with your bare hand, so stealth is always an option if you’re healthy enough to do so. Certain weapons will kill faster than others, some will splatter blood around, and you may have to quickly clean it up if there are any people patrolling around. Otherwise, feel free to take tire irons to enemy’s faces and break their bones.

What kind of Melee weapons are there?

Just a few of the Melee weapons included:

Scissors
    Box Cutter
    Pipe
    Tazer
    Syringe
    Screwdriver
    Handcuffs
    Pencil/Pen
    Chair
    Fire Axe
    Lamps
    Sledgehammer

Various Knives: Throwing, Combat Knife, Machete, Scalpel

How do I heal myself?

Both Bandages and Drugs will help you heal your pain. Bandages will heal specific bullet hits, and there will be a variety of drugs that can heal you good but can have side effects. Be careful with mixing drugs or overdosing.

Who do I play as in this Game and what’s it about?

You play as Virgil “the Virgin” Coltreese, a former kingpin bodyguard who has gotten soft after escaping the east coast crime life many years ago and now lives out in the west coast. But your brother Leo has stirred up trouble in a local lowly gang run by the Kardovas. Your brother claims it’s not his fault, but soon you find your head getting smacked by a metal bat, and dragged to a warehouse to be set as bait and punishment for Leo. Upon waking you find a cigarette being put out on your face, accompanied by a grimacing smile. You find yourself in the presence of Angelo Kardova, the 17 year old son of Apollo Kardova, the Kingpin. Angelo, who acts a tad psychotic but is rather intelligent, looms over you, mocking you and asking about your brother. Soon, he starts to talk to a figure in the dark, the burning embers of his cigarette floating in the air. You recognize his voice; it’s a colleague from the east coast, Job Fisk. You bargain with Job to try to have him vouch for you, but Job still seems a tad bitter.

Along the story, you’ll run find yourself in the company of a whore with a blood fetish, a Russian who sells girls as sex slaves over seas, a deafened drug dealer with a vendetta and a whole other sort of colorful characters that grit and grime can provide.

Just to make it clear, this game isn’t about just doing mission after mission for the crime ring until something happens. The story is constantly evolving, and everything has a point.

Where does it take place?

This game is set in the city and streets of San Diego, California.

This game is ultra-realistic; it is going to be really hard isn’t it?

That hardest setting of the game will be the setting that is going to be true to life as possible. The easier setting will be similar, but will be adjusted for those of you that don’t want it so real.

Is this game single player and/or multiplayer?

This game will be a single-player, and maybe if there is a big enough response after its release, maybe we’ll add an MP, but it would be a large undertaking.

When you say “realistic” how realistic do you mean?

We mean true to life, to the most brutalizing of degrees. So jabbing people with knives will get blood everywhere, and taking shots into people’s eyes is possible. If it can happen in real life, it is most certainly can be in the game. Also, expect sexual content, as well as nudity.

You talked about the melee weapons, how about guns?

Pistols:

Old favorites like the Beretta and the Desert Eagle are included, as well as some fresh faces; like the Baby Eagle, Yarygin PYa “Grach”, MP412 “Rex”, and my personal favorite the 27 round OTs-33 Pernach Automatic Pistol; and many more.

SMGs:

SMGs include the usual guns like the MP5A1, Ingram Mac11, Mini Uzi, as well as the stylish Beretta M12S, AEK-919 K, and PP-19 Bizon.

Shotguns: The Sawn-off shotgun, the Berretta 1201F Semi-Auto Shotgun, and the TOZ-194 Pump Action

Assault Rifles: The AKS-74U and the FN SCAR-H, are more portable Assault rifles, better suited to the streets and easier to conceal.

All weapons listed above can be found at: http://world.guns.ru/

Other Weapons: Spear gun, Flare gun, Grenades, Molotov Cocktails, Nail gun, and other fun stuff.

E-mail me at: coolcanuckian@yahoo.ca
  • Laeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laeth polycounter lvl 18
    Hi,

I'm Kyle Rowley; Senior Designer on Dreamscape: Pin Point Blank.

I'm really just here to add some extra information regarding who we are interested in recruiting, and what skills/experience you will need for us to consider you. Without trying to come across as being too arrogant; we are really only looking for skilled and experienced staff members.

Below are the needed job titles, and requirements.

Weapons Modeler

<ul type="square">[*] Must have extensive knowledge of 3D Studio Max or XSI.
    [*] Fine Art background preferred but not essential.
    [*] Bachelors Degree in relevant subject preferred but not essential.
    [*] Weapons knowledge preferred but not essential.
    [*] Previous experience on a game modification preferred but not essential.
    [*] Communication and organization skills essential.
    [*] Enthusiasm and a desire to succeed is a must.
    [/list]

Concept Artist

<ul type="square">[*] Must have excellent drawing skills (both organic and non organic will be considered).
    [*] Bachelors Degree in relevant subject preferred but not essential.
    [*] Communication and organization skills essential.
    [*] Enthusiasm and a desire to succeed is a must.
    [/list]

Please send all applications to:

laeth@dreamscapemod.com | with any demo work you might have. Applicants with demo work will have priority over all others.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice flow and org charts. wink.gif Reminds me of my day job.

Seriously, though, it seems like you guys are awfully reliant on the mechanics of the game for your gameplay. In my experience as a knee-jerk gamer, that stuff gets lost on me as I try to keep my bearings. In contrast, I played a nice little Half-Life mod this weekend that featured one gun with several different settings, a simple life and ammo meter, and precious little else. It was the design of the level and the odd details that made it really enjoyable.

/jzero