Home Technical Talk

next gen woes?

Replies

• Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I find, aside from the jump in power which while reasonable is quite a small step to be honest. The pipelines themselves really haven't changed much.

Higher vertex counts, more complex Shaders. The pipeline itself hasn't really changed, atleast it hasn't as far as the X-Box or GameCube were conserned.

The Playstation 2 -> 3 is a radical jump in how artwork is created, but then I'm sure all of the Playstation developers out there are just as glad as I am to see the back-end of a machine that has forced developers to be ridiculously creative in order to maintain atleast some cling to the graphical quality the other consoles are capable of without breaking a sweat.

I think in some terms some guys are going to be relieved because of the freedom. Then again it will also dawn, all the extra work required to achieve even the same end-result.

It's definately one of those double-edged swords. Something I am looking forward to is when gamers get tired of Halo 360, and Final Fantasy XXX. Games recently have strayed from letting anything even mildly creative get a market foothold.

So while in terms of technology it's the best possible time, in terms of the games themselves.
    In any case, we can't really change the circumstances much. Not that I'd bet many of us are actually paid enough to want to risk loosing our jobs over trying to be creative. (or worse having to listen to the whinges of the beta testers)