Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(High Poly) Tough game grunt space marine #558672

Wyeth
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wyeth polycounter lvl 18
O.K., so the subject matter isn't exactly the most creative... sue me. He's a high poly space marine. They're fun to model! What can I say...

Anywho, armor modeled in Max 8 beta (Edit Poly/SubD), organics in ZBrush. This is my first mostly complete high poly character so it's quite a few more polygons (roughly 1.9 million) than are probably necessary. I'm still learning the intricacies of everything and I imagine my next one will be pruned down quite a bit. I'd say it probably took me maybe 30 hours or work on random nights and weekends? All in all a rather inordinate amount of time, but hey I was learning as I went. Next one will only be faster!

Currently I'm working on tweaking the hands... for some reason I can't get the shape of the fingers right.. they look good in Zbrush and then I bring them back into Max and they look terrible. So I'm still working that out. His legs above the knee are also a bit thin, but in order to fix that I need to remodel the armor, so I'm taking a break before I tackle all of that.

Anywho, I'm open to further design suggestions and of course aesthetic critiques. I hope you enjoy.

wyeth_marine_strip_thumb.jpg

P.S. Hello to Wolf, Goose, Bobo, Juan, DH, all you other jerks I never talk to anymore wink.gif

Replies

• Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Man that armor rox! especially the back, but it lacks of details in the organical parts. Keep up the good work!
    Btw how are max 8 new modelling tools, what do u think about them?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the armors sits real nice and tight on his body,
    this is a good example of 'how it gets done'.

i think the shoulder pad may be sitting a bit too tight againts the tricep, look if he would try and fold his arm and his muscle would curl and bump - he would have no room!
    yes this is a real small thing but i guess in this level of work you want to be aware of these kind of detail..

..or you dont wink.gif
    either way great work man
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff.

I was gonna crit the fingers, but I see you already know there's something weird with the shape of them (too tubular and fat all the way along?)

I like the armour, although in the back, those large half-tubes at angles, look like moulded plastic, rather than something that's been built together. Maybe a little groove running around all of them to show a construction seam in the material might look cooler? I never liked how Star Wars Stormtrooper armour looked just like vacuum-formed plastic on the front and back of the chest - this is what the back of yours looks like a bit now.

Nice stuff though, look forward to a texture!

MoP
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    A lot of nice work in this but theres a couple of large practicalities it may be in your interest to consider.

The large cod piece formation of armour that forms an outcropping under the abs stretching over the crotch would benifit from being detatched and treated as a swinging loin cloth / armoured codpiece attachment that connects at the side to a waist strap so that you dont have hellish problems with deformation later in animations and so theres a chance of visual interest with 2ndary animations that support that piece flapping around.

Also, whilst some of your clamp and braces are nicely articulated and designed, few of them form any purpose other than noise generators or mojo generation, it would be good to show some more segmentation of the armour around those clamp braced areas so you could tie a strap to the brace or clamp leading between the 2 segmented armour sections and thus providing a reason for them and helping to create a more beleivable design.

As other have been mentioned, the organics are pretty weak, but the hardforms are shaping up well, just be sure not to let yourself get too carried away without considering the practical aspect.

Considering the practical stuff is often what helps to inform a good design.

Nice work man.

r.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    There's too much symmetry going on here.

I love the model, but the human eye can only deal with a certain amount of symmetry before it's visually bored.

My advice is to offset some of the features; why are screws tightened to the same symmetrical position? Why do belt loops hang at the same position on both sides of his chest? And so on.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    He looks like he's wearing 'rockstar pants'. Everything is so shiney with this next gen stuff that it'd be nice to see some more matte, textured stuff being done. Seeing actual material-like properties (Splintercell 3 did this well using DX9 shaders) on a high poly model is something I hardly see. I really like the shape and form of this character, its believable to me - and I agree with hawkens points - but please take this chance and fiddle with texturing techniques.

Definitely a great job.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Well, when people critizise the material properties of the render and the symmetry then the model can't be that bad i'd say!

The armor execution is very good and clean, nice modeling there.
    It does lack on it's practical side, like he wouldn't be able to lift his arms with the shoulderpads already colliding with the shoulder armor. I'd get rid of the whole armor ring that belongs to the part that covers the crotch, hard to move and bend like it is now.
    The tubes in the back really look like 1 plastic piece, not build.
    Seems he has a metal butt too ?
  • Wyeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyeth polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everyone who has taken the time to write your feedback thus far, I'm impressed by the thought everyone puts into their critiques.

Looking at the model I can see as you all did that I did not provide for enough flexibility of his 'codpiece'. My imaginiation upon building was that the abdominal plate would slide down and under the strip whoch holds the cod on, and he would have some rudimentary forward bending that could happen. But then what if he tries to sit down? The design is indeed flawed and It's on my list. I also see what you say regarding the shoulders and I think some basic reconfiguration of the model would allow me to keep what I have modeled and just shift things around a bit.

I'm seeing what you are seeing regarding the pipe pieces as well, I think a ribbed texture on them as well as a connector at the neck for them to mate to. I'll be honest, it was late and I just wanted to finish my first pass on this baby, so I was a little lazy... (shhhh)

Other than the hands, have their been further organic portions that frustrate you? I felt pretty good about the upper arms and the head but if you are seeing something I'm not in those areas I'd love to hear about it.

Regarding the symmetry of the mesh, I built this initially as something that could be normal mapped for use as an in game asset. The symmetry arises from that desire to mirror the model after projecting the map onto half a mesh.

And for the render, well, I kinda suck at it wink.gif I barely got it looking this good! I realize now that I should have flagged some of my floating geometry to not cast shadows, because there are some weird smears that result from the floating shapes.

Come Monday I'll be doing another pass on the model, and I'd enjoy a further round of critiques. Thanks again.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    heh, if you like the critiques here you should post more often wink.gif
    i have to say this forum is very critiquer-ish compared to others, even tho the community is quite small.

i was probably sharing some thoughts with mop about the fingers (of your model.. you pervert) and seeing your nice reply and thought to comment --

from the "inside" render they do seem a little blobby. fingers should shrink as they go, yours seeb a little too "tube-y" + zbrushed.

if you wonna aim really high (and i have no doubt you can) each of the 5 fingers should be reworked seperately. look at your hand and you can see how each finger twists and swirls a little to the left or to the right. "they" say its some psychological thing.

but what do "they" know anyways eh
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    I think the execution is very good, my main critique is the design of some of the armor pieces, the strongest part of the model is the top torso area, chest, shoulders and head, those look really well done, you can tell alot of work went into those parts, which is not surprizing, they are usually the most fun areas on a space marine smile.gif with that said I think the other areas are slightly lacking, his bracers look a bit wobbly and too smooth compared to the top of the armor that has nice sharp edges and interesting shapes. same goes for his legs and feet, his hips and knees are too thin, and I think you could have done something more interesting with those rather than just having beveled boxes smile.gif and lastly I think his boots could benefit from having a little more work put into them, just solidify the shape of it, make them look more detailed and interesting.

I think overall it kicks ass, but with a little more work put into it you could totally take it to the next level and make it REALLY BADASS laugh.gif
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    it's looking nice, specially the armor details but check out muscle anatomy and try to fix the organic areas. His face have to be improved a lot smile.gif.
    for muscle reference http://www.fineart.sk is a good website.

heep it up!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey dude. i'll be a bit of a bastard and won't read the rest of the replies, cuz it's kinda late.. sory if i post some redundant stuff.

first of all, nice work! i quite like it so far.

i like the torso armour quite a bit. right away, i'd ask what he's going to do if he drops his keys and needs to bend over, or what he's going to do if he needs to lift his arms up, but what ev, it's a piece of art, so i won't get into that. who gives a damn.

I don't like his legs. they're too thin. (possibly to short??) and underdetailed compared to the top. also, the detail on them looks very.. er.. cheep. hard to say. looks as if you put in the detail that's there not because it's a cool design, but because that's the direction the edges were running and it's easy to put in detail like that. heh.

the anatomy of his flesh is bothering me. the face is driving me mad, although i'm willing to accept that it's artisticaly stylized, if that's what you're going for. i don't like the sides of the mouth, i think they're too open.. they need to pinched together more and come into the face, a little deeper.. hmm. maybe not. maybe you just need to get rid of that crease that runs away from the side of the mouth, so it doesn't look as if the mouth runs all the way down the side of his face. i like the brow smile.gif cool stuff!

the anatomy on the back of the arm looks a little funky, you might want to check that. also, it might make things look interesting if you added some mass to the forearm muscles, and brought them up so they hug the bicep a little bit more. check out some of kolby juke's anatomy, it's got this cool thang goin on, even tho it might not match your style..

http://kolbyjukes.com/portfolio/view_photo.php?set_albumName=GOON&id=goon_texturing_1 -- i like those arms smile.gif

anyway, that's my 2 cents. good work so far smile.gif looking forward to seeing what you come up with dude.
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    HEY.

Nice man, I guess your modellin theses days.
    what's it for.
    What else u up...?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    a disturbingly long time it's taken u to register back into the Den ALPHA ;P

So far I'm really loving the quality of this model, there's just something about the characters head that really bothers me, like the odd ident/roll at the back of his head and the extreme shapes from the mouth to cheek bones but perhaps this is the kinda style you're after.

Keep at it, would love to see it textured wink.gif
  • Wyeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyeth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    HEY.

Nice man, I guess your modellin theses days.
    what's it for.
    What else u up...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wolf! I knew I'd pull someone out of the woodwork. Good to see you smile.gif

Yeah, modelin'... effects to shaders to UI to textures to low poly to misc anything, My goal is to be mediocre at everything. *grin*

The model's just for personal learning and general 'portfolio'. Not work related, although we are doing high poly stuff at work nowadays. This guy's strictly for fun...

Speaking of the model, I have a revised version to post soon once I tweak the head, should be up in a few days for anyone who wants to continue to crit.

P.S. Wolf, you need to make the game you have always talked about, the world needs more fantasy games. I'd join ya!
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    you dirty little cunt!! who let you out of your cage.

Goose.
  • Wyeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyeth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you dirty little cunt!! who let you out of your cage.

Goose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus they are everywhere, It's like my early 20s all over again except with (much) less drinking. I still can't believe you're in China you crazy bastard...

(Sorry for the reunion thread polycounters, I'll post some WIP renders tonight to make up for it wink.gif )
  • Wyeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wyeth polycounter lvl 18
    Right, so... updated render!

I changed the legs, added some detail to a few areas, refined the head a little, and tweaked the arms a bit in ZB. I'm still not happy with the fingers, it's a learning thing I guess. I'm much more satisfied with the legs, it's my lesson learned to not be lazy I suppose.

Click for bigger...

Marine2_thumb.jpg
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    being lazy sucks, don't be lazy smile.gif

its much improved man, my only concearn at this point is that there isn't a clearly visible waist line, so his body looks a bit slim, other than dynamic. add a belt, or usually adding pouches works just as well or both. smile.gif