Home Technical Talk

help exporting UV's

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
I have used texporter ever since I started using max, but its pretty limited, and doesn't let me export it how I want. Anyone know of another UV exporter for max?

Replies

• sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't let you export how you want?

What's the problem you're having? Maybe there's a solution. It has a pretty good amount of options.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second that. Pretty customizable. I hate the default 800x400 or whatever the hell it is, but other than that it's solid.

There's also the splines route if you have Photoshop, via PSDPathUnwrapper. See MoP's last link here.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    THANKS! I will try the path exporter.What I wanted to do was make the background bright green so I could make a selection of the background and easily clean my maps up. Thanks for the list, that will come in handy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a pretty complex way of handling this but it works, here are the settings I use for textporter. Make sure the save the image as a TGA as you don't want to get any nasty alias pixels you get with other formats. I then have a photoshop action that does a color selection on the pink UV lines, makes a new set & layer, fills that new layer (with lines selected) with white. Then makes a new layer, selects the black, inverts the selection and fills it with green, then adds a 1px strokes to all the pieces. That way seams don't creap up and cause me to go in and repaint. I keep the all green pieces layer seperate from my paint so I can select any given piece easily.

I preform the action on the tga file, then drag the layer "set" to what I am working on, while clicked on the new layer set, I line up a corner of the base TGA file and once everything is lined up, I delete that one layer. Leaving me with the pieces and white UV layout.

It seems long and drawn out but once you set up an action it goes pretty quick. Here is a copy of the action I use as well as a sample. Load the action, open the sample and press F12, if you like what you see use it =)
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    That is a little complex XD. I got the PSD path exporter. But in photoshop, when I click "make selection" from the UV path, it only selects certain parts of the map, and not the whole thing, so I just took a bright red 3 pixel hard brush and stroked the outside of the path, then I made the background black and selected the background with the magic selection tool, then selected my map layer and clicked delete, so that unneeded background is gone, so its nice and clean. The quality of the cut isn't great, but I fixed that with a simple grey outter stroke.

This was the final product:

bodyclean9oi.th.jpg

Thanks for the help guys smile.gif.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the action it is as complex as open, f12, drag, done. Yes without the action it's pretty crazy. looks like you found a method that works which is great! happy cleaning!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea smile.gif.

[make polycount cleaner!]

[please clean your UVs]

[thank you, that is all]