Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face practice, my progress...

Jamaludin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
Maybe some of you know me I mostly just gaze and reply on the great art here and very rarely show some of my work cause its still so so bad haha. But I just wanted to show my progress and get lots of crits on how to improve and how to learn the fastest, imrpove my polyflow etc etc.. Espescially dont mind how the eyes and everything above the nose looks, HORRIBLE haha. Thanks allot in advance !

140.png

144.png

Replies

• elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    hi jamaluddin, please excuse me for replying in your thread coz I'm not that good as well.. we all are learning anyway smile.gif that's why we're here...

you have a lot of unneccesary edge around the nose, mouth and chin...try to make all of them have unified space (* they have the same 'space' among each faces) just add more loop on areas which is going to be deformed ( around the lips)

someone correct me please if i'm wrong, coz I'm learning as well, thanks grin.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The nose isn't that horrible. I think the problem is more with the eyes. You have them set in very far, which makes the tope of the nose appear to be WAY to tall.

One thing I'm sure someone will ask is, are you using a reference?
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the fast crits already, im trying to figure out how to avoid unnececary loops cos the way I model I have to make certain loops, I use a head moddeling video from CGTalk. And indeed like notman says its stupid im not using a reference I just have something in my head and just model away with no real look on paper or not from foto reference no... frown.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if the 2 images are relates but in regard to bottom image I would suggest roughing out the shape of the whole head first with a lot less polys and then start adding detail.
    Looking at that image it seems that you went into a lot of detail very fast. It's harder to make big changes, like change the edge loops, when you have a lot of detail in the model already.
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah thanks but I dont know why but I find box modelling way harder then just poly by poly modelling maybe any tips for that, so I can try any other technique to see what works best for me. The pros of box modelling is like you said lkraan that you get the shape down right away with less anatomy issues so maybe im gonna try that next time, well thanks for the advice guys. Modelling is hard lol laugh.gif :P
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one thing i noticed that has absolutely nothing to do with your model: your avatar is too big.
    It's not huge, but it's big nonetheless