Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CgChat #28 - Gorilla granadier

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
Heh guys, posted that over cgchat allready so i just copy and paste my last post here.

Its my first full normalmapped character i want to finish. also It will feature stuff like facial animation, full finger aniamtion and I am going to give him a set of animations.
so, the cgchat content:
Anyway, the body uis finished, diffuse made, add bump and spec map. yeeehha

Gimme the lovelight!
cg28_gorilla_WIP07.jpg

The flats
cg28_gorilla_WIP07_flats.jpg

He is currenty rigged badly but he is prepared for animation. He has a mouth, roattiung eyes. He will feature a full facial rig for animation, full finger animation and i want to add lots of dynamic objects within the armor (Mainly granades).
I plan giving him a full set of animtions (running on 2 legs, running with arms and legs, jumping, throwing, and idle for now). His weapons are simply granades. I will also add some nice particleFX and Explosion FX. This will be fun. Yeeeehaaa!

Though I never made a faical rig (just used morptargets so far) it would be great if sombody has some infos about it. I am searching for tutorials and hints for makin em. Maybe somebody can help out. thanks

Crits and comments are more then welcome.

Replies

• LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    The skin is looking very good to me, I thing he's making a great overall impression. I'm not quite sure how much of a Gorilla his face has, I have them a bit different in my memory.
    As a suggestion I think it might add a lot to the fur if you add some planes with alpha hair to his silhouette.
    Great model, you managed to get me really feel the volume he has without making him look like plastic.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    very nice! smile.gif would be cool if he had feet... u know...
  • wup101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wup101 polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for on facial rig
    http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/james_direen/direen.asp
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It looks nice though not at all like a gorilla. The hands look malformed like he's got a severe tumor there.

I'd say you should get a few more gorilla refs and strt adjusting until anyone who sees him will think "gorilla" instead of "alien".
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    give him a break with the gorilla,
    not everything has to look realistic,
    it looks to me like it was simply done from his head and then 'oh, look mom! it looks like a gorilla!'
    -yes son, of course it does.. (omg my son is in idiot)'

just j/k :P

planning facial anim and all, i would suggest modelling his facial features more relaxed, and not so expression-full. the corners of the mouth are dragged down, like you always do, and that effects his jaw which sits very low.

i agree about the arms and generally his entire body could use a better skeleton.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, proportions (around the shoulders and head especially) are not really gorilla-like, he should be more hunched, and the face should look more like a real gorilla too, I think...

Also maybe the fur could be a bit darker, it looks a little light overall right now, maybe if it was darker with some silvery streaks, it'd work well. I also think the normal-map for the fur could do with some more work, gorilla fur is kinda shorter and a bit fuzzy, the stuff you have there is long and flowing, doesn't look quite right overall.

Generally it looks good, really nice for a first normal-mapping thing, but I think like KDR_11k says, it needs some work if you want it to be truly recognisable as a gorilla.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    I fully agree with the hair issue. I dont know if I really go back but i take it in consideration if i have some time left in the comp.

The feet yessssss.... again, I toss boots over it. Since the armor is yet to come,I wanted that it is consistent enough to the armor design. I often tend to get away from things when too much time passed. Its like painting the flesh first then go to the armor, then the props and so on.

The body IS not from a gorilla as you can cleary see on the sketch i did. The paint from the comp is not to recreate a animal body anyway, maybe the reason why its called "hybrid theory" wink.gif . I also realized that from the front and soe views it does not look like a gorilla but it works from the side perfectly (Ill post some screens by some time)

I must admit that, ehhhr, the whole stuff didnt turn out so well as I wanted, but I want to finish it. Poop once said, you will be like BoBo. When I realized he ment the not exisitng finishing mentality he has instead of the big talent it was a bit dissapointing smile.gif muaahhaha.

So well, I am working on it. Though, I would start something completly diffrent. I must finish, ahr no, I must, ahhh, eeeek...

Thanks for the crits and comments so far. The tutorial was a nice read but i need a tutorial which is more into the game engine direction.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hehe another cgchatter posting his entry here, that's cool. I think you have done a good work. A character based on an animal should not be a "furry" and watching what you've done i think you have catched nicely gorilla lines and forms without fall in doing a simple human with gorilla head or copying a gorilla literally.

As comment, i would make his arms longer and the hands not so big.

keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Longer arms
    - Less of an upright look, more of a hunched pose. Maybe the classic gorilla walk on nuckles
    - Fix the texture streching on the legs
    - Feet? or are you going with nubs?

looks great I would love to see your progress =)