Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GoblinSpaceMarine_SDK

diZzyWalnut
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
Hello ,

Nearly all what I know about 3D (game industry), I've learned here. Thanks goes to the whole Polycount community.
Well; here's my first SDK.
I hope that You will enjoy it. wink.gif

GSM_SDK.jpg

<u>Here is :</u>
GoblinSpaceMarine_SDK

Replies

• LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    cool, not a bad model. the unwrap needs a lot of work though, there is a LOT of empty space. also there's no real reason that i can see to build him leaning over like that, though that shouldn't cause any serious problems.

i'm not a texture artist though so i would be skining it, though i'm sure some people will come up with some interesting designs!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire :

Yeah I know - his not perfect , but I'm sure that the next one will be better.

I'm still loking for 2D style mad.gifconfused.gifmad.gif
    My first skin is going to be born.

goblin_4.jpg

please, don't tell me that You don't like the violet colour (purple) laugh.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The holidays is finished mad.gif, well I will try to continue my GOBLIN.

Well , last week-end I've done few tests ( riggings and figures modes ) with my GOBLIN_SPACE_MARINE to get him properly into UT 2004.
    If I understand well - in a fact the model-character has to be really close (similar) to the skeleton's proportions from UT 2003 or 2004 which I want to use ( for exemple - HumanMale or Alien ; etc. etc. etc.)
    There's no sens and reason to use "FIGURE MODE of BIPED" under 3DS MAX ... why ? ; cause once the model is imported into UT 2003/2004 and the animations is pasted - his mesh is adjusted (fit) on skeleton original , so ... it's clear - animations is no correct and mainly the mesh of the model is deformed. I'm not sure at 100% (still a newbie in world 3D frown.gif ), but it's my experiences of last few days. tongue.gif

I've realized 2 small .GIF for You (done under 3DS MAX).
    Now I think that it's a time to finish the skin and finally import into UT 2004.

GSM_RUN.gif

GSM_RUN_1.gif

(animations : James Edwards, Steve Jones, animator dudes @ DE - copyright : Digital Extremes ).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks very good!
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    This guy would really benefit from custom animations to give him character and really make him stand out. Make him run funny.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the design of the model smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    This guy would really benefit from custom animations to give him character and really make him stand out. Make him run funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea , but I'dont how can I get this character with his own animations into UT 2004. That's the problem.
    I didn't see any tutorial for that.I suppose that's a lot of work.
    I've learned just how to get the animations by default.

Thank You MoP,Slaught,Lee3dee,

I do my best confused.gif

I've been really impatient to see him under UT 2004 , so I've done a little test -
    and it works -
    here is "a bloody bastard" - ready to fight ! laugh.gif

GSM_UT2004.jpg

(and now, I must really finish his "skin")
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    you should play with smoothing groups this will make your work pop out a lot more (and yah the latest versions of the exporter/game supports them) look at pior's bunny that's a really good reference of great smoothing groups/ut2003 stock anims and nice specular use, your model really deserves it smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you should play with smoothing groups this will make your work pop out a lot more (and yah the latest versions of the exporter/game supports them) look at pior's bunny that's a really good reference of great smoothing groups/ut2003 stock anims and nice specular use, your model really deserves it smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see a little bit (suppose) what You mean. It's true I've used just AUTO SMOOTH at 89,0 for whole mesh. But I use the 3DS MAX only - since 2 months , just for "rigging" and export into UT 2004. I'm learning 3DS MAX slowly... it was my first "riging". confused.gif
    Pior knows it , I've asked him for few trucks - advices about "rigging" and export into UT 2004 under 3DS MAX.
    I've modeled the GOBLIN under CINEMA 4D 9 , UVW and SKIN I've done under BODY PAINT 2.
    I respect and love Pior's work , Yours too ( normal mapping for DOOM 3). crazy.gifcool.gifcrazy.gifcool.gif
    I've got somewhere Pior's BUNNY , so I will look.

thank You , merci

I've realized a short video with FRAPS to see my GOBLIN in action :
    VIDEO - GOBLIN SPACE MARINE in UT 2004
    3.95 Mo - well, 1 minute to download (at 512 kb) - (there's not sound at video)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    OMG another frenchie!!! tongue.gif

here's a tut I found about smoothing groups creation in max, in case you're interested

http://www.ghouseproductions.com/tut_headC.html

model looks cool ingame btw smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    OMG another frenchie!!! tongue.gif

here's a tut I found about smoothing groups creation in max, in case you're interested

http://www.ghouseproductions.com/tut_headC.html

model looks cool ingame btw smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really - I come from Czech republique ( Prague ) , but the last 4 years I'm living in France ( Toulouse - cool city) ;... anyway I suppose that I'm only one Czech here at polycount.
    It's always a pleasure to see that some artists from polycount forum as RAZ or Rick_Stirling like this small country of (good beers, beautiful girls, great architecture and a lot of historic monuments ).
    ... there's also others others artists ready to go in Prague wink.gif

Vahl,
    Thank You for the link , now I think that I've understood the sens (meaning) of "smoothing groups".
    (merci encore une fois , bonne continuation en 3D)
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Toulouse, huh ? guess what...I'll be in Toulouse this thursday (visiting a few friends and such tongue.gif - lived there for 3 years tongue.gif)

and teddy is from toulouse aswell he was in the sam school as me, drop me a pm if you're around !!! smile.gif
  • oliver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oliver polycounter lvl 17
    RAZ ? I think u mean RUZ cos RAZ its me and i am french and live in Toulouse too !..funny coincidence !... tongue.gif

Anyway fun model smile.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    RAZ ? I think u mean RUZ cos RAZ its me and i am french and live in Toulouse too !..funny coincidence !... tongue.gif

Anyway fun model smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

COOL - TOLOUSE tongue.gif

I've sent You a PM (private message)