Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ASTROZOMBIE!! I CHALLENGE YOU BF2 VEHICLE CHALLEN

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
i'm calling out you Mark! for a contest to design and build an original vehicle for battlefield 2! can be anything from a realistic model to a giant flying lazer beam shooting hotdog car, deadline will be 3 months after i get backin portland, i'm doing this to get me back into some funtime modeling, since all the game art i've been doing the last couple years has been for work and not really my design, i'm hoping this will be a refreshing change of pace,

oh anyone else can join in this if they want, theres no prizes just for fun, estimated deadline, is november sometime, may be postponed a lil later if the proper tools are not released by then to get things in game,

i know mark may have an advantage over me.. since he actualy worked inhouse at dice on battlefield Vietnam. but i'll give it my best shot!

everyone just post your progress in this thread if you want

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    ah cool... i was planning on doing a high-poly normal-mapped vehicle soon anyway, haven't modelled a vehicle for ages... i might throw mine in here if it turns out ok smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    So are we just modeling or actually getting it to appear in game? Still (impatiently) waiting for the editor to be released and whether or not they'll provide tools for hobbyist to import a mesh. If all is fair, I'm already planning to create a "vehicle" for BF2, so I'll give it a shot.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    What are the poly and texture specs for a BF2 vehicle?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    dammit mojo, i start to break my habit of modelling vehicles, and you just suck me right back in tongue.gif

ah well, i may just contribute to this.... and for once one of my vehicles will have weapons tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Vehicles --Rec. Max Polys --1P Cockpit

Class 0, i.e. Buggies and civilian vehicles --4000 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh --Integrated with original mesh & texture
    Class 1, i.e. Hummer or Attack Heli. Airplane --5500 incl. integrated Kit parts in the mesh --1000 (Vehicles with entire interior could use up to 2000, i.e. Hummer)
    Class 2, i.e. Tank --6000 incl.integrated Kit parts in the mesh --1000
    Class 3, i.e. AA Vehicle/Helo --7000 incl.integrated Kit parts in the mesh --1000
    Class 4, i.e. LCAC (HoverCraft) --8000 incl.integrated Kit parts in the mesh --1000

Number of vehicle LOD steps and reduction in poly count.
    LOD0 100%
    LOD1 40%
    LOD2 15%
    LOD3 2-4%

One of the Helicopters has a 1024 x 1024 DDS file with mipmaps for the cockpit, and a 1024 x 2048 for the exterior, plus a 512 x 512 DDS for the blades, and a 256 x 256 DDS for the tailrotor. Plus separate normal maps and spec maps. Also a small strange wreckage texture whick looks to be multiplied onto the color. Smaller vehicles would probably use a single 1024 for all, and optional spec and normals. And the small faav dunebuggy thing uses a 512 x 1024.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, you're on but only if you agree to a fist fight in a parking garage of my choosing.

And don't try and claim that I have an unfair advantage because I worked on BF:V. I was a level artist there, not a vehicle modeler. So when I mop the floor with ya, no excuses tongue.gif

I guess I better go out and buy BF2 now.