Home General Discussion

Any good Podcasts ?

pogonip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pogonip polycounter lvl 18
I have been getting into listening to podcasts while I am moddeling ..etc etc and I have found some fairly entertaining ones by chance . I read web comics and so I was pointed to a web comic called Alpha shade while reading Penny Arcade. The comic itself isn't that great but they do a podcast called Alpha Rant and they are both pretty entertaining . I was hoping I could find something as good for Video games or pretty much any other genre . If you know of any good Podcasts let me know . Here is the link to the Alpha Shade Podcasts http://www.alpha-shade.com/GAudio/Alpha-Rant.htm

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    For gaming news check out Steve Glicker's podcast at http://www.gamingsteve.com . There's also an entertaining canadian podcast I listen to regularly at http://www.molarradio.ca ... they chat it up about comics, indie bands, and various happenings.

I'll check out Alpha Rant tommorow at work... If you enjoy listening to podcasts while you work as oppose to listening to the same songs over and over on internet radio stations, I suggest audio books... they're fantastic when working at the computer... I'm finally able to read all the books I normally wouldn't have time for. Currently, I'm reading (listening to) the Ender Game series smile.gif ... And since I'm nerdy I have literally close to a hundred star wars audio books I switch to every now and then.

#1 DORK smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Podcast: Someone had the revolutionary idea of taking a compressed audio file and putting it online. Yeah, doesn't sound so sexy when I describe it for what it is, does it you morons? It would have been a great idea if streaming audio wasn't already around for over a decade before the word "podcast" entered the lexicon. Man, I can't stand the word "lexicon." Talking about all these shitty words has made me start using shitty words. I'm so pissed, I just slammed the door shut on some kid's nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a quote from Maddox's new article of words he hates smile.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

Just curious, whats the difference between an internet radio station and a Podcast?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Hey thanks skrubbles ! I don't know about Audio books I think I like the podcast thing cause I can kind of ignore them and I hear a bit here and there enough to keep up on what they are talking about . An audio book I would actually want to pay attention to ..i'll have to try it and see how it goes .

I guess a Podcast is sort of like an Audio blog as far as I can tell . Like if Howard Stern put his shows in audio format on his website 1 show at a time they might be cosiderd Podcasts . I really think it's just a matter of for a Radio show they usually have a central theme but a Podcast is just everyday BS and opinion ...I dunno ... lol..Im guessing the Pod part came from Ipod so maybe it just means a sort of radio show that you can take with you so an MP3 ...ha im actually curious about the definition now i'll have to look it up smile.gif
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    I generally only pay attention to tWiT so far, but am looking for other podcasts.

internet radio: A live stream from a server where all users hear the same content at the same time. Very similar to real radio, except it adds the excitement of "rebuffering", and generally adds much more selection to choose from.

podcasts : Content is produced offline and not live. It is then packaged up as an audio file (in most cases, but the underlying tech supports pictures and movies as well), then added to an RSS feed. Clients like iPodderX or iTunes 4.9 check the RSS file on a regular basis, and download any files it points to for the user to listen to at any time. For anyone that remembers the big web buzzword of "Push" around 1998, well RSS, and podcasts are basicially an evolution of that concept.
  • Rick Stirling