Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Earth Defense Operative!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
X-COM: UFO Defense is easily one of my favorite games, ever. The series has yet to get a proper 3D sequel, so I decided to do my own take on an Earth soldier.

flightsuit2a.jpg
Wires

The final count is ~2440 polygons.
256x256 for the body, 128x128 for the head, and another 128 for the pistol and holster.

I should have re-distributed some polygons to the upper arms, but I didn't figure that out until I rigged it. He's got a cowboy look going, what with the squinty eyes and the revolver. Eastwood, maybe?

Whaddaya think?

Replies

• gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i diggit. X-COM is an indelible classic--i like how you've reinterpreted the soldier as a more like an astronaut then a fellow in a jumpsuit... i'm assuming this is a take on the unarmored soldiers. he could possibly be militarized just a bit more, but overall i think the look is appropriate to a force that has just been formed and mobilize to surreptitiously combat aliens across the globe. Also! you could believably mount the Cydonia mission in these suits, since they look like they are full space suits if you put the helmet and an oxygen tank on them smile.gif not that anyone would be foolish enough to mount the Cydonia mission without powersuits....

anyhow, my crits would focus mainly on the shading. i like the subdued color choices, but the primary material reads as far too matte, i'd like to see more highlights. the vertical stripe down the upper arm really catches the eye because there are more highlights. now i'm not saying you should go crazy on the highlights, but i think it would definitely be serviced with more prominent highlighting on the main suit material.

the face is generic enough as a stand in for a number of different soldiers.. with the full head covering you've neatly avoided the issue of hair, so all you'd have to do really would be to make a couple of skin tone variants and i'd be ready to play!

so when does your freeware remake come out? smile.gif

anyhow, looking good. plan on doing the personal armor and then the power armor?
  • Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, especially for the size of the maps ooo.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Xcom is only reason I still have a w98 machine sitting in the corner. Sure it runs on XP if you turn off DirectDraw, but thats a pain.

I love the model its great! Do more do MORE!

Laces on space boots? Doesn't that create issues with the whole trying to keep out the vacume of space? Well so would not having a helmet so I guess he is in his atmosphere gear? The head looks a bit too high poly for the rest of the body and you might be able trim 200-500 polys from the head and not see the detail of the model take a hit at all.

Looks great! Lets see more! Lets see if we can't find you a lvl designer and a coder, before you know it BAM you have mod!

OoOOooHhhh... BF2 mod... drool....
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    What would be the point in trimming off the extra polys ? It's not like any engine would slow down because of it . The only reason I could see trimming down is if this was for a PSP game . As far as I can see the extra polys look like edge loops in the face which could be used for facial animation . Anyways looks good .
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    http://ufo.myexp.de/

Great X-com clone that is useing the Quake2 engine, try it out wink.gif
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    nice job .. smile.gif

and yes xcom was an amazing game
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty naughty if you ask me, love the concept.

Crits if any permitted, the boots make it a lit' Mechy but seems good for what they are.

-peanut
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice smile.gif X-COM is one of my favorites. Is this for a possible remake project? Or are you just having some fun?
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Very nice smile.gif Is this for a possible remake project? Or are you just having some fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its for fun i guess, they where talks at microprose about making it in full blown 3d (around 1998-1999) but the project was left asside for lack of finance in some part.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, glad to see people appreciate the classics round these parts. smile.gif

gauss - I thought about giving him a helmet, too. It might be fun to give him more equipment and some skin variants. He could get the full action figure treatment, yea? I'm going to take a final pass at the texture, and I'll keep the contrast in mind.
    I'm also doing another model with the same 'earth defense' premise. I'm not necessarily sticking to the X-COM armor classifications, although it is the main inspiration.

Vig - I have the XP version myself. There's an exe fix for the DirectDraw problem, but its not quite 100%.
    I did use some high altitude suits as reference, and you make a fair point about that pesky vacuum problem. He'd probably look better without the laces, so I'll revisit that.

JKMakowka - I remember seeing this before. Seems like there's tons of fan projects. No harm in trying. smile.gif

SyaPed - Originally this was for a mod concept, but its just me, really, so I would say its for fun.

I'll bump the thread sometime later with an update and hopefully a second model. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    sounds good slain, just holler if you'd like any help taking a concept pass at the powersuit/flying suit style armor smile.gif
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to see a modern remake of X-COM, with the missions taking place in first person. Perhaps with a style like Rogue Spear or those swat games, so you keep the slower pace and tense vibe of the original game.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    this is very nice!, I feel a slight urge to do something xcom myself.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Rise... Rise from your graaave!

Haven't abandoned this model yet, but I hit a dead end with the texture a while ago. This would be the light armor variant.

I feel that the design is pretty blah, but I thought I'd show you guys. I could use some advice on the skin.

armorwip23jy.jpg
  • JeremyaRandall
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyaRandall polycounter lvl 18
    maybe some front armor on the lower arm, the back shot, from the angle you have and the shoulder appears to be sticking out, looks like he could use a belt buckle, the fact that his crotch isnt armored ... dunno.
    crit on the first design, so if a girl was wearing the suit, those nipples on the front heh.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    It looks very weird.. If its supposed to be a boy.. The legs look to much like a girl
    And if its supposed to be a girl the Upperbody looks to much like a boy lol >.<. Other then that it looks good.

Jeremya Is right though, It could use some armor on the arms wink.gif
  • rastaman_bey
    Offline / Send Message
    rastaman_bey polycounter lvl 18
    Hi,
    If you are interested in a successor of UFO:Alien Defense, then head over to www.ufoai.net and enjoy. Our game is still in development, but you can already try the demo if you want.
    Bye
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It looks very weird.. If its supposed to be a boy.. The legs look to much like a girl
    And if its supposed to be a girl the Upperbody looks to much like a boy lol >.<. Other then that it looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the first impression i got...still very nice work! all hail X-Com!