Home Technical Talk

URGENT! Problem with Photoshop! Please help!

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
Hi all,

I just recently upgraded from Photoshop CS to Photoshop CS 2. I have an Intel Pentium III 598 MHz chip, 768 mb of RAM and a Geforce 4 2600 titanium graphics card. Ever since upgrading to CS 2 I have been experiencing an extremely unstable software program. It is extremely sluggish when I move things around, open things etc. I have never experienced anything like this on CS or the other Photoshop software. Why is it all of a sudden extremely sluggish to use when I upgrade to CS 2? Are there known stability issues? Is anyone else experiencing the same? If not why would that be? What are you doing that I am not? Is there something I need to sort out in terms of performance issues. Can someone please help me to resolve as to why my Photoshop CS 2 is extremely slow and sluggish?

Also is it possible to install both CS and CS 2 on the same machine? (btw I have not done this just curious)

Anyway, Thank you if you can help and if not then thank you for taking the tiem to read my post.

Replies

• pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen this before. CS2 dosn't convert your CS settings over properly and the whole app gets Sloooow.

The easiest fix is to delete your
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop dir. This will set everything back to default and CS2 will create its own settings.

If you have custom brushes, palettes etc... You need to backup the Photoshop dir before deleting it. Once photoshop is working again you can import your *.psp file back into photoshop.

You can have 2 different photoshops installed at the same time, I had 7 and CS2 installed at the same time while I made the transition.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    p.s. is it possible once you have done work in CS 2 and I wish to revert back to CS can I still open my files or am I screwed?
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    So all I have to do is delete the Photoshop dir. ? however, only thing is that before I installed CS2 I had already uninstalled CS. So I don’t think any files would have remained. Therefore the photoshop dir. Is technically the one created by CS 2 is that correct? or should I still delete it?

Gaian many thanks M8. this sluggishness is doing my head in.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So all I have to do is delete the Photoshop dir. ? however, only thing is that before I installed CS2 I had already uninstalled CS. So I don’t think any files would have remained. Therefore the photoshop dir. Is technically the one created by CS 2 is that correct? or should I still delete it?

Gaian many thanks M8. this sluggishness is doing my head in.

[/ QUOTE ]

That dir is just for photoshop settings, usually its left behind even if you uninstall. Inside the Photoshop dir there will probably be 2 dirs, a 8.0 for CS and a 9.0 for CS 2. Either delete them both or delete the whole Photoshop dir. All these dirs will be re-created once you run photoshop again.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    what? the actual folder or just the files? sorry for the dumbass questions!

thanks again m8!
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    Hi again, I just checked and the only folder in there is the 9.0.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The entire C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop dir

The Application Data directory is hidden by default. To see it you will have to enable hidden files. In windows explorer go to Tools>>Folder Options>> View tab, then click on "Show hidden files and folders"

Once you can see the Application Data directory go to

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Adobe\

You will see the Photoshop direcory. Delete the Photoshop directory.

When you restart CS 2 it will make a new Photoshop dir and a new 9.0 dir inside it, with all default settings.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hi again, I just checked and the only folder in there is the 9.0.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'd still try deleting it then. Since it just has 9.0 just delete the 9.0 directory.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS!!!! I LOVE YOU DUDE!!!! THAT DID THE TRICK!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

*while FEMTO tries to slap himself out of his state of awe, pyromania walks off like the lone ranger hero he is into the sunset with a burst ear drum*

Dude I really appreciative your help. Boy does it feel a lot nicer when it is running more smoothly!
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, glad that did the trick.

This has happended to a lot of CS 2 users. It odd, it only happens when people have CS and then install CS 2. If you have and older photoshop, then install CS 2 it won't happen.