Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Challenge 14: Themed Random Object Cannon: part 1

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder
Hello fellow polycounters, for this Fourth of July holiday, it’s the historic back story to the Independence Day movie staring Will Smith for the non-Americans in the audience, I’ll be floating you a new holiday inspired challenge in two parts for the next two weeks. I’m going to try to do something different here as well to see if we can get something no one expected.

First of all go to this page on Dictionary.com: Fourth of July Word Origins

It talks about a bunch of interesting word history for those interested, but we’re after the highlighted words and phrases:

Independence Day or Fourth of July
barbecues and picnics
eagle
fireworks
flag
parade

Now plug one of those words or phrases into the Google or Dogpile image search engines and troll around for interesting shaped objects or parts of things. Use multiple words, go crazy. The more interesting each object is the more potential you have later down the project, so choose wisely. If you need more random inspiration, try the Word of the Day page as well for another potential word to search under. I want to see each of you pick 3 images to declare your object choices and post them in a thread here in the forum as normal. I’d suggest a longish item, a round-ish one and a boxy or rectilinear one. We’re after random interesting forms, not the textures or uses or contexts of the original objects.

Now using those objects as a starting point, I want you to draw three variations of a cannon that follows the basic ideas of an American cannon design of 1776. Additional forms and textures are expected to flesh out the concepts so don’t feel constricted to what you’ve picked alone in texture or form along of course. Each composition should have the original 3 objects recomposed. However, I don’t want you to finalize the 3 sketches; a medium level of detail is all that’s needed at this point. A well fleshed out large thumbnail is the best description of what I’m expecting.

The three thumbnails will be due in one week. At that point you will be picking a thumbnail from one of your challenge mates and fleshing it out in as a final as a piece as you can muster for the next week. If anyone has all 3 of their thumbnails chosen by their fellow polycounters as a final piece, they will win the bonus prize, a free copy of the Doom3 expansion pack. If the winner has that already we’ll figure something out offline.

Schedule:
<ul type="square"> [*]pick words [*]search for random objects [*]pick objects [*]post objects [*]make sketches [*]post sketches [/list]

ar26.jpg

Replies