Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The dense head

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
Thought you people might be interested in my latest zbrush work, if not feel free to flame me back to where i came from.

testrender.jpg

testrender2.jpg

I'm glad ive finally progressed beyond the patrick steward stage(more so when i put some hair in). Also i know its missing something but i just cant put my finger on it.

Replies

• Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also i know its missing something but i just cant put my finger on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

EYES?!?! GOD IT IS SCARING MY UNCONCIEVED CHILDREN!

other than its total fucking creepiness at this stage, i like it, chin and mouth seem a bit wide though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Main problem looks to be that his cranium is far to shallow - his eyes should be set at about the centre point of his head. Other than that, it's looking pretty good though the neck could use a little work.

Reminds me rather of the guy from Stargate... Tilk or however one would spell it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    ears a little too high? Eyes a little to close together?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Your jaw bone does not usually run into the back of your head . The top of your ears are usually flush with your eyes . Usually mens necks are a little thicker coming down with the sides of the jaw bone . That crease on the sides of the eyes looks wierd also . If you take away the rest the nose and the mouth look pretty good .
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    A shot from the side of the head may explain the problem with the neck better(if there's any) I guess. And I think ears look like buried into the head though it may be because of what pogonip said(jaw bone).
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Eyes look way too narrow, and his brow looks really flat. Mouth looks pretty good though.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    eyes look like mouthes right now. save out a version as is now ... continue to work on a normal head, and then go back add teeth to the eyes!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Gauss, like the corinthian in the sandman comics?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes, precisely! do that guy! smile.gif
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Many thanks to everyone that has posted I have tried my best to amend your many criticisms. I had a minor problem in that at some point I have offset the model and continued to work which has led to the two sides ending up quite different. The most notable place would be the ears (I have chosen not to show the left as this is the worst of the two) and the nostrils.

With that aside I’m nearly ready to add in those much needed eyeballs (Mishra I’m sure your unconceived children will be much relieved) and hair. With the hair though I’m still a little unsure as to how I’m going to go about adding it in, this is both for style and Method. There is a very nice brush within Zbrush known as the fiber brush which can create some very good effects but then I have also heard there is supposed to be an excellent shader for XSI. This was originally intended to be a test piece so I didn’t put a lot of effort into the concept so suggest something and ill see what I can do.

Lastly Gauss I will save a copy without the eyes and like that Japanese artists work I saw little while back add some teeth in.

Enough of the yammering, here are the pictures

DheadSshaded.jpg

SideS.jpg

and some additional detail shots

Eye Socket

Mouth

Again all responces are greatly appreciated
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    alright, before you go off making those minute details, you need to first get your basic shape looking good.

The ears look a little long, the the ear lobe looks like it's deflated. The area where the chin meets the neck looks really off. Eyes still look strange as well, they should pinch off like that at the corners on the side. The Forehead, as of this moment, is looking fairly femanine, male's foreheads tend to slope more than females, and they usually have a heavier looking brow.

I grabbed a some pictures off of fotosearch of profiles that sort of match your's, so you can use it as a little reference.
    103049.jpg
    C0030047.jpg

You have a good start here, you just need to work with it more.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    I've managed to pull myself away from WoW long enough to do some work on this model. First off I took into account Neo_Gods comments and have gone through and made some alterations, hopefully you will agree it looks a little more realistic now. I have also managed to sort the annoying symmetry issue out. Now again it’s not final especially the eyes, I personally think at the moment that it looks more creepy with them in than when they were just empty sockets. This may be a shader issue, at present I am using the toy plastic (very high specular) or it may be that there not sitting tight inside the sockets. I shall Endeavour to improve this before adding in the hair.

The other thing worth noting is that the front render has a low blend level with the skin shader dominating the model, in the side image I have adjusted this, again not entirely sure what level I will leave this at.

eyestmb.jpg

side1tmb.jpg
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, the side view seems strange...he doesnt really have that 'dent' in his nose at eye height (look at Neo_God's ref pic)...maybe try fixing that up a bit. Otherwise it looks pretty nice.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Less weird more afraid now.

small.jpg