Home Technical Talk

Looking for an easier way to move vertices around

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
I have started learning high poly modelling and I am running into a modelling issue which I think that there must be a easier en better way to get around to.
I hope that somebody can give me a tip for this.

Here we go...

Often I have a poly that is at a "weird angle" and this poly I want to add some new edges to.
1.jpg

Here is thew same poly where I have connected 2 edges twice.
2.jpg

Here I have moved the vertices of the new edges in the right position in the top view. Afterwards if you look in the other view the shape of the plane the way it was before I started moving vertices around isn't a flat surface anymore.
3.jpg

Now I have moved the vertices around so that it looks a bit like a flat plane again but I do this by moving the vertices around in the different viewports.
This is a pain and I was hoping that there is an easier way to do this.

4.jpg

For low poly models this method wasn't that bad but for high poly where you create a lot of loops to make harder lines this is a big hassle.

Replies

• Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    yep, there are several.
    Check on "edge constraint" or "Poly constraint" in edit poly and you can slide them around no probs.

2: Align an object to the surface (align a box using align normals see the help file to find this). Then from the coordinate system click "pick" and pick the object. Now you can use that objects coordinate system to move your verts. The nice thing about this is that you can ANIMATE the object to several positions and use the time slider to change your coordinates.

3: Align a grid to the surface. Once activated, you can use grid view and coordinates to help navigate the object.

4: Keyframe your objects rotation on frame 0, then you can rotate it into the position so your polys are flat to the view. When you are happy you can rotate back to the original position using the time slider.

Hope this helps.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! The option edge constraint complete does what I want!!!

You truly deserve the name King! laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Different viewpoints? Sounds like you aren't working in the perspective viewpoint yet.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work in the perspective viewport but I would slide vertices over the X, Y and Z axis separate in order to allight a vertex on an edge.
    But that's all in the past now with edge constraint enabled smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    4: Keyframe your objects rotation on frame 0, then you can rotate it into the position so your polys are flat to the view. When you are happy you can rotate back to the original position using the time slider.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. I usually do something similar by working on an instanced object facing the direction I want. But that animation trick is soooo much cooler and wicked! Thanks for sharing smile.gif

And by the way Ikraan, screen mode is your friend too, with that yopu can move objects according to your, her, screen coordinates. Edgeloopslide from cspolytools/meshtools is neat too, you can download a full CSP-MT package from scripts sites.
  • ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    nice tips;) also should be noted that "shift x" is the default toggle for edge constraint... couldn't live without it;)
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff folks!
    This simple standard function speeds up my modelling so much and makes it even more fun.
    Polycount rocks smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Now using the keyframe technique in Maya. Used to use instances rotated to different angles like Pior. BOws down to the King
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    *shakes head in disbelieve*

All this stuff (this slide command and much more, like the tweak and connect command) is soo nicely integrated in Wings3d, that once you used it for a while the Max tools will look primitive and unintuitive to you tongue.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sure, but as soon as you want to do more than merely modelling, the concept of having a separate modeller with a very different workflow becomes a pain in the behind.

also, a fully fledged 3d package gives you more options to achieve a specific result - e.g. king dave's tip regarding animating the object.

i've been to the whole nendo->mirai->wings thing as well and trust me, there are situations where these apps do make your life harder becauser of certain design limitations.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    jk, a lot of this stuff has been in max for a while, can't blame the program that people don't know about it
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm confused. Are we talking about moving along a local coordinate, or a slide tool, or...something?

can blame the program where the neat features are buried deep within the UI. but i'm not trying to start a war here. just interested in whatever technique is being discussed incase it's something I haven't seen that would make my workflow much more awesomer!