Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

filthy kid

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Started that as a quick exercise but it might aswell end up as a complete character... Don't know.

texturedkid_01.jpg

texturedkid_wire.jpg

That hairstyle might be familiar to some of you... that's inspired from a famous french singer laugh.gif The guy enjoys sticking wooden sticks in his hair.

Want the kid to look like that :

texturedkid_concept.jpg

Yay!

Replies

• Kristian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, pior! That's the most well integrated eyes I've ever seen in a normal mapped character. Hair looks great too, the colours really go well with the "bruised" shading around the aforementioned eyes. Can't wait to see more!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking awesome color useage as always man, really cool. Cant wait to see the body!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Love the hair, the model and the expression!

Most of the texture is great, but you know, I think that it's just a bit too "grainy" at the moment ... if it's meant to be dirt then it's not quite looking right yet, but if it's skin pores or something, then it's too harsh and obvious.
    It's mainly on the forehead and jawbone/cheek area, that it looks like a "noise" layer rather than any sort of coherent dirt or skin detail.

Apart from that, it's great! Should look awesome with a body smile.gif

Did I say I love the hair already? wink.gif

MoP
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I love the eyes most of all! smile.gif

Wow! Such good work!
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    U rox my sox

I like the style of the mouth, don't know why but it makes me think of Doowie (the lil' boy from the malcolm show)

Wanna see more wink.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    haha Sinclair? tongue.gif

Awesome skin tones man ! love the podgy nose etc.

Can't wait to see the next update smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Nice pior! I dig the color scheme.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes, the colors are what draws the eye to it--really looking forward to how you finish out this loveable little urchin smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.

And good pick Renaud laugh.gif

Sure Moppy I agree about the texture being on the harsh side. That was more of a choice here but I might need a second look at it. I was mostly going for the overtextured like what can be seen in the Silhent hill series... And yeah its more pores than dirt crazy.gif

Kristian, well maybe thats because they are not separated eyeball meshes? Don't know whats the best route, separatd eyes for animation or one solid mesh/texture allowing more control onver how things blend together. Still have to fully test the separated meshes solution confused.gif

Quickly slapping a body on him. It's so weird to work on a character when the head is already normalmapped/textured/hair-ed. That plastic doll looks is giving me the creeps!

texturedkid_02.jpg

Still trying to go fast with this one. Simple materials and all that.

Okay time to give him some clothes!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno, the style doesn't seem to fit together. Maybe it'll blend better when it's completely textured but stuff like the "gloves" attached to these thin arms doesn't look like it'd work.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    he looks a bit like syndrome from incredibles
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, that black on the shoes, is that the result of bad normals?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    go go go..it rocks !
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    PPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR!

nice one. I really like that you tossed over an overlay and made her look more fuzzy. I dig! There are rumours I would use them myself too much smile.gif

The arms with the oversized forehands looks awesome. It reminds me very much of Gully from the best comic series EVER, Battlechasers.
    Errr, I would largen them even more!
    Can we have the normal and diffuse flats?

AND BE ONLINE FOR GOD DAMN SAKE IN YAHOO MSN OR ICQ OR FRENCH MASSANGER OR WHATEVER!! *puh smile.gif:):):):):):):):):):):)

/me boozed
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great Pior! Though I think the face low poly is a bit dense for what you used the definition for. I'd either use the existing polys to conform more to the definition, or lessen the amount of polys. Right now it's just super smooth. I dig the arm wraps!

KDR, the black shoes are I'm sure a stylistic thing, if you check the concept, they are black too. I'm assuming it's vertex colors.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    that rox man laugh.gif I love the way you texture faces, could you write a little tut on textureing face/skin?
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Haha, this is so damn awesome! Both concept and model is damn tight!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    love the face. The hair reminds me of a birds plumage, perhaps a parrot of some kind.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yes KDR I feel the same, the whole thing is far from being locked atm. I didn't make the usual researches/references gathering for it, roughings things as they come mainly. Time will tell! I've also slightly redone the hands since that, will post updates asap. Oh btw, nothing mysterious about the dark feet, they were just out of conelight range on this shot laugh.gif

Haha yeah Shim Battle Chasers are so cool. Agreed about the size, bigger could be better! And I'M ONLINE YOU GERMAN! Reach me on MSN, pior_o(at)hotmail(.)com smile.gif Will try to post the flats tomorrow for sure. They are rather simple actually.

Hmmm sure Poop that could go with less polies... Would that work if I optimize that even if the nmap is already baked? Still have the experiment.

Ruz that's what I thought too, it's surprizingly easy to convey a surface change with alpha hair. The only thing needed is a gradient towards the end and no 'hairstrands' definition at this place, just color.

Hey I like how some see that as a boy and some see that as a girl, personally don't know myself. I guess a girl would require some sort of microtits right?

On that final note... heading to bed laugh.gif

[edit]

Flatties! Originals are 512s.

texturedkid_flats.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool loads of character in this little guy - and the colours really help sell it. Not so sure on the body yet though - doesn't really sit as well with the head as it could in my opinion - also the whole body seems a little more "rounded" which looses some of the feel from the concept - especially the shoulder area which is pretty angular in your concept.

Is that blue map the spec map? Love the way you have handled the hair aswell - any chance of seeing the map with the aphas you've used for it? Am I right in thinking that the "strands" of hair are handled only by the alpha and not painted on the diffuse map?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can optimize the mesh after baking, just bake it again afterwards.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, lovely model and loving those arms.

I am wondering how you made the body though.. it looks relatively low rez, but looking at the knees, it has a bend in it which indicates it isn't polygons..

How did you do it?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    very nice,his face and hair reminds me of rufio from the movie Hook
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, it really has that lost boy feel.

It's looking good, although I must say this, I don't like those hands very much, they lack any feel of articulation, it could just be a style thing, so I'm not about to gripe about them too much.

Though I don't really know what the map on the bottum right corner is. It sorta looks like a specular map
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Though I don't really know what the map on the bottum right corner is. It sorta looks like a specular map

[/ QUOTE ]

*points at the hair and specular eye*
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    thnom, meshsmooth modifier, I'm assuming. Keeps the original low poly wires until you colapse it.

awesome head, pior. gloves need to be bigger!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Dammit Pior! I love the concept. Has that Ash feeling to it. Can't wait to see this one done.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah Thnom Sec is right, thats just the smoothing that does that. In max you can even preview the smoothed result without putting a meshsmooth or turbosmooth modifier on top of the stack, there is one tickbox in editpoly doing that for you. I have that bind to alt+N (god knows why) and its a breeze.

NG, updated gloves below, and hail to Razor who wins!

I'm done with the highpoly, did an extra detailling pass since then :

texturedkid_04.jpg

Thats a quick mockup on how I want him to look like in the end. I'm baking down the maps atm, will try to make a super simple texturing and then... time for something else laugh.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, never knew about the tickbox under edit poly, that aught to simplify things.

I like how this turned out. You even managed to put your gradient overlay coloring job from your sketchs onto your model.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, my friend smile.gif

I have "S" as the hotkey for Edit Poly smoothing, I find it very efficient...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    wow that is freaking great
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wow man, that's totally sexy stuff! blush.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the gloves look alot better.

I was unsure about that map, but now I know, haha. It doesn't look as if it has individual eye balls, so I'm going to assume you just have some polys overlaying the eyes for the specular?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    texturedkid_05.jpg

Started on the multiple maps texturing on the lowpoly version with normalmap and all.. Still needs material variations and a bit of weathering. I feel like some selfillumination might help in some places, for patterns and reds in general. will see smile.gif Time for duplicating these rings and fingers too!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    That's looking so loverly Pior.

For the straps, I know that you like the look of the red gradient, but how exactly did he get it in real life? It' might look cool if you actually had each belt a solid color, but they slowly gradiated upwards, maybe not perfectly evenly though. Or make the red speckled to show it's spraypaint or airbrush of sorts.

Looking pretty cool. Liking it. 8-)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    pior the saturation levels on the face/ hair really doesn't work for me.
    the belts againts the lether works very well on the other hand
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    mm sexy, looks like his face might benifit from some futuristc bold markings to tie in with his clothing though as theres a bit of a mistmatch of style going on still between body and face.

Regardless of that though, nice work.

r.
  • Erol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really nice, pior! It looks like his hair went all black, where the earlier one had hints of blue. Is there a reason it was changed? The blue and red had some nice harmony to them.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Aw man, this is awesome. I'd like to see this guy in a game!
  • fiart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting idea and really good execution but there is something in the face that I don't like,I dont know exactly, but just a personal taste.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hey Poop in the end I decided to drop the red legs idea, I felt like they were taking the focus away from the face. Decided to actually kill th espec on the to make them more plain black which grounds the char a tad more.

Yeah Shot, I actually made a desaturated version of the that gave it a livingdead look, that was intersting but a bit different from what I had in mind. However the final version IS a bit desaturated anyway laugh.gif

Ror that's a nice idea, that would tie things more as you say. At the moment I was mostly relying on the hairstrand end color to make the thing fit but its true that markings would help. But maybe they'de be confused with the ones on the collar/scarf. Will see that if I ever rework it!

Fiart I have to agree, I guess thats what happen when working on something with no clear objective in mind... But all in one it was a nice speed exercise, wanted to finish it before the weekend and its late sunday now, YUS!

Haha Iron me too!

Yes Erol I dropped the blue, I thought it was giving the whole hair a birdie look while I wanted that at the end of the strands only. Also decided to go for a simplistic color theme, red and pure black.

Kay! Some poses. I accidentally used a very long neckbone but I ended up liking the creepy looks it gives when combined with lowered shoulders. Arms also seem short, maybe because of the large cylinders around them? But I like the overall 'secondary character' look anyways laugh.gif

kid_big.jpg

texturedkid_07.jpg

To some extend I feel like multiple map texturing can be faster than 'classic' texture painting. It's less reactive and responsive tho since it requires to tweak two maps at a time... Weird but fun wink.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Will you marry me? wink.gif

I still love those arms. I really like the 3rd pose (from left to right) with those eyes and odd look like "What are you staring at?", its really good
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    WOW, thias is looking awesome. We are complete cell phone retards but know everything about normalmaps smile.gif

He is lookin very cool, though i would get rid of the pure BW look of the forearms...Add some orange tint, or something more out of place like green or something.

I would size zup the loose straps even more to have a more dnyamic and artistic feel to him instead of this "possbile" feeling.

Go mad with glowmaps and other stuff like this. He is simple yet VERY outsranding, push that even more!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    omfg ! That's a pure beauty ! When cuteness meets science-fiction. My only comment would be the suit. I remember your comment about the _Shimmer's monkey, I'd say the same here. It's maybe a bit too monochromatic atm (for me of course ^^). I think if you add some subbtle color varations like some dirt touch or something, it would help the legibility of the model (in this place).

My 2 cents of course wink.gif

Awesome job anyways!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Wow...that is excellent, got to say I love the textures most of all smile.gif

Any chance of a quick runthrough of your workflow? Ie. high poly then low poly in max, normal map generated (in max?).
    (would love to hear your workflow on aquaboy too laugh.gif )

Two thumbs up! (since I only have two)
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah I guess things like specular could be pushed more! Thats again the weird thing with that kind of models, the result soo depends on the lighting, engine and all. In the end I'm often trapped in an 'inbetween' state ("liken, would that work with another light setup? Errr...") which is bad-ish!

Worflow is, I guess, rather generic Lupus. I'm using the exact same technique Mop and Poop explained in their tuts

http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20424&highlight=normalmapping

http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22313

For Aquaboy I also used Doom3 commandline generator which is the way to go for that engine, otherwise teh normals would look bad ingame. It's not compatible with other viewers/renderers tho... but it's worth the try since its easy and fun to spawn a model ingame and rotate around. Vahl did a huge tute on that, can't find the link atm :/

I do most of the poly work with a combination of Wings3D and Max. I simply love Wings for its faster workflow and because its just funnier and more focused on large masses and all. For this one I used my base male mesh as a start. A quick detail pass in Z2 is made if necessary but I could have avaoided that here.

Texturing mostly relies on how to fake dirt and clean, just like with a radiosity render : painting darks/desaturated color and spec where dirt goes. Spec is very powerful and really gives material definition, as opposed to the color map mostly giving a mere 'paint' information.

I also like to add fine detail in the 2D normalmap to avoid unnecassary modeling steps. The faster the better!

There are MANY tricks to make things faster actually. As an example the 'find edges' filter in PS is handy, it'll cherch for material separations for you (where one color meets another) and you can use the result as a 'dirt' since dirt goes where joints are. I also like to have everything in one file, with folders for each map : normal/diffuse/spec/bump, this way I can easily copy layers from one to the other.

The thing I find th emost useful is to assign colors to teh highpoly before baking down the maps. This way these caors are already here when you start to work on the texture and you can use that as selection masks, avoids the painfull process of lassoing stuff!

Hope this helps!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    he came out great! nice stuff smile.gif