Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Gunslinger

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
Ok... thought it was about time to finally give this guy his own thread. Anyway, the body texture is basically done!!! I do need to dirty him up a lil bit, though I am starting to like the clean look... kinda has a WoWish texturing style I guess. I still need to paint the mouth (taking my sweet time getting to that). The spec map and the accessories are comming soon... this includes guns and yes even a cool cowboy hat.

ag_01.jpg

ag_02.jpg

ag_03.jpg

btw, I changed the mesh a lil since I posted the wires in the "So what are you working on?" thread, so I'll post an update with that tommorow after work... I'm just tired now and need to crash.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... sleep

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    you handle the arm anatom so well. the bones sit perfectly.. really nice.
    i think you painted the bicep a little too long there, thats why the forearm seems a little short?

anyways.. i already replied in the WIP thread so..
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey skrubbles

Nice work here.

I think you could push the highlights on the metalic armour abit more,maybe add a tad more gloss as well.

Quick question...I remmeber you posting a tut in the 3d/2d discussion forum about using grey scale and then addaying colour after. was this all done in grey scale then colour or did you just slap the paint on round the other body areas?

John
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun - thanks... I'll see what I can do about the arm. I may just make the bicep taper off instead of just ending in a bulge like it does now. Thanks for pointing that out smile.gif

Bronco - I kinda like the dullness of the metal, but I'll try some sharper highlights and see if I light it... I think the spec map will surely help with this. And no, I just did the greyscale thing for the head (and obviously the greyish armor ;p) I started the body texture with full blown color... and the main reason why I did that was because I wanted to have figured out my color pallete before figuring out all the details I wanted.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Still loving it! And that chest/shoulder plate is so nice. Maybe you could push up colors on this? Its a bit greyish atm.

Anyways, great job Scrubby! Planning to put him in a game or something?
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    nice. I would suggest looking at a light source to help focus the attention of the viewer towards the face, and perhaps giving a bit more grounding and weight to the under surfaces.

PLaying a bit with wetness / matte will also add some spice to your work. Real nice.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice! I agree with Pior about adding a tiny bit more colour to the armour, and what Dave says about the wetness/matte contrasts would probably help separate materials a bit more... same with adding a touch more shininess to the armour... it's not clear what it's made of at the moment, almost looks too soft to be armour, some sharp highlights would make it seem much more solid, I think.

Nice looking at the flat texture too, reminds me of how my flats sometimes look smile.gif

Keep it up, this guy is turning out really well! wink.gif

MoP
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    noice (in a british accent)
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior - thanks.. I'll play around with it and sneack in some color into the chestplate and back armor. It's been suggested to me that I do some engravings on the back armor as well, so its not as plan... so I'll be doing that too.

Dave - wow, the king has replied to my thread and likes my work.. thank you smile.gif Now, when you talk about bringing light to the face to make it standout, do you mean in comparison to just the rest of the head or to the whole body? Also, I'm hoping the I can pull off the wetness of the skin and shinyness of the metal with the spec map I'll be making... which brings me to....

mop - The highlights on the armor... since I'm gonna add a lil more color in there, it wouldn't hurt to make the highlights a lil sharper as well.

JO420 - thank you (in my Jersey born accent)
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, just imagine a soft spotlight hitting him from above.
    If you squint, your eye should be attracted to somewhere... usually you want this to be the head or weapons, depending on whats most important for the viewer.

If your using a greyscale spec mask, use it to strengthen existing highlights, otherwise it flattens the surface effect.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm calling this guy finished for now smile.gif

Fixed up the lighting in the texture. Added a lil more color here and there (like the bare arms).

Made the spec maps. Made the cowboy hat and gun accessories (with a seperate 512x512 texture and alpha

map).

Still need to rig him, but I wanna move onto a normal mapped character so maybe I'll hold off on that

for now (I still need to learn riggnin or else I'd do it right now)... There's still space for the

mouth to be painted in the head texture because I wanted to wait until I had him rigged before I play

with it... so that'll be done later as well.

BTW, I'll post the poly count when I get home and can access my model. But off the top of my head the

body and head are around 4600... and the body,head, hat, and all 4 guns combined weigh in at around

5400. I'll post the absolute correct numbers tonight... and yes those would be tris I'm counting.

Until then:
    All maps are 100% self illuminated.

character_render_01.jpg

Same render but without hat

and guns

character_render_02.jpg

character_wires_01.gif

character_wires_02.gif

accessories_wires.gif

accessories_render.jpg
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Continued from above post....

character_render_closeup.jpg

character_render_top.jpg

MAPS

body.jpg

Spec MAP

head.jpg

Spec MAP

accessories.jpg

Opacity MAP
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really cool one, only thing is that I don't like much the armor plates, to me that would have been cooler with some more cowboy clothes, but still, great stuff smile.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Most awesome!

Some areas like the grey chest vest are pretty monochromatic. Throwing in some very subtle color changes that flow across the whole chest would make it more interesting.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    You build the shadow into the hat?
    Never seen that before...clever smirk.gif

Looks great!
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    go the hat! that's awsome!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl - thanks... I think he needed more cowboy colthes too... that's why I even made the cowboy hat... didn't plan on doing that when I started modeling him.

swampbug - I tried splash more color in the chest but I just didn't like the outcome. There's already red and blue colors in there... but its not super noticable (on purpose). And the reason he may seem monochromatic is because I personaly don't imagine cowboys as wearing very vibrant colored clothes... they're always in black and brown and muted colors.

slaught - yup and thanks... glad people are actually liking that.

livewire - damn right! lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awsome I love it!
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    gotta love that hat!
    Awesome work dude!!
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    is it wrong that with the hat he looks like Clint Eastwood?
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig - thanks

Ramucho - mucho thanks smile.gif

LiveWire - actually I was being told since I modeled the had that because of the eyes (that weren't textured at the time) and the high cheek bones that he resembled Clint Eastwood which I thought was great... this guys's a cowboy after all, so its not wrong at all... its a compliment! so thank you.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    The hat was a generous touch! It really put it over the top.

- BoBo
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is really a pretty stellar model & texture!
    The UV's look a tiny bit wasteful to me, and I think you could do with some stronger texture overlays (unless you were going for a more painterly 'toony look) on the texture.

Fantastic work though, keep it up!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo - thanks. I'm actually gonna play around with that a lil more. I'm gonna add some brown to the shadow so its not such a hard black shadow on his face... but have it be the actual color the shadow of that hat would create.

ScoobyDoofus - Thank you smile.gif The UV layout was brought up in my cgchat thread so I'm gonna relay them out and merge in the head texture as well. Having some problems doing that though (read my thread in the 2d 3d discussion forum).

I was actually kinda going for the WoW style texturing... but not as super duper clean.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally done!
    alien_gunslinger01.jpg

redid the texture so the heads in with the body on one 1024x1024, instead of having an extra 512x512 just for the head.
    alien_gunslinger_texture.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    most excellent.
  • Filler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filler polycounter lvl 18
    Wow thats really great! I like the facial expressions.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Love that hat.
    *put in inspiration file*
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha I dig it dudee
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    cheers. great stuff man.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    nice work skrubbles he turned out great!
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    ut2k4 pleaze laugh.gif looks so awesome..
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamBrome - Thank you

Filler - Thanks. I would've done more but I'm lazy

Weiser_Cain - Thanks for the honor smile.gif

b1ll - YOU BETTER! lol

John_Warner - Thanks m8

killingpeople - thanks man. Newish avatar? looks killer!

IceWolve - too much work... for me. Moving on and learning normal maps now. Was finally able to play around somemore with zbrush yesterday smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    kick ass! love the design of the lower body. cool colors in the flesh too!

you people and your gigantic fucking images though. good god. put a link to the big one! people will click!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

aaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose - Thanks man!

Sorry, I like big images... shows the details, plus I love it when other people post the bigger ones so I have potential wallpapers smile.gif plus they're easier to study. And I'm too lazy to link to a big one. LoL