Home Technical Talk

drawing hands

Badge
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Badge polycounter lvl 18
Id say for about a good year or so, i almost excelled at drawing hands. I saw an illustration for a Poe piece and i really learned a lot as i tried to recreate it. One day i was in the process of drawing a hand for a character, got distracted and looked back at my paper. My mind was just blank, and since then i get like this mental block whenever i try to draw hands for characters and such. I know the parts of a hand, and i use to know the tricks to drawing them at any angle.

However at this point there is one way im able to draw them, perhaps even better. But I like to use Ink for all my drawing so i cant really have all my characters hands looking the same.

does anyone have any solid tips for overcoming something like this? anyone else ever have this problem or am i crazy imcompetent?

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    i cant answer specifically what you may be looking for. But my issue was, I went to art school(still am) and before i went, i loved drawing, and it was all i did. Then they required us to draw lots and lots of crap really fast which basically taught me how to draw shitty looking art quickly...not very helpful. then i found the loomis pdf's drawing heads and hands and the figure drawing one. I practice out of them still. The man has such an awesome 3d approach to all his work. I think it could really help. If you havent checked them out, i believe they are at www.saveloomis.org. i know they're at fineart.sk. However, if you have trouble finding it, lemme know(pm me or something, or email) and i can email you the pdf.

hope that helps and best of luck!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burne Hogarth's "Drawing Dynamic Hands" is also a nice one.