Home Technical Talk

Edge Mode in Lightwave

Option
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Option polycounter lvl 18
It has come to my attention that I have never even used edge mode in lightwave, and then I started thinking to myself, does it exist? So can someone please answer this (EarthQuake hopefully, since I know he uses LW and has gone to the trouble of helping me out before): Is there an edge mode in LW8 similar to the one in max and how do I use it?

Replies

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't exist (yet) =]

Anything edge related in LW is a work around or faking it. The tools try to approximate edge-like behaviours and functionality but LW has no real edges or tools to edit them.

They are working on it though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, but WHAT?! I thought LW was a full-featured package? smile.gif
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the date on that plugin posting - LW 8 has it integrated as part of the program now. =]

LW will have real edges soon enough... just not now... not even in plugin form.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, unfortunately, when I installed the .p file, I realized that I already had the tool in the Details tab (I obviously use LW8). Can't wait to have actual edge tools though
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah as gwot said there are no edge tools, if you want edge extrude there is a workaround tho, make a 2-point-poly, and extrude that... But then you have to merge points, and unify polygons because it will make them double sided.... Really lame shit.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how badly you want edge tools nor whether you'd be interested in spending a few bucks, but Modo makes a great compliment to LW for this stuff. Luxology is currently running an awesome promotion for LW users too where you can purchase a Modo license for 300 bucks, provided you have a valid LW serial #.

I could mention other software, etc that have great polygon tools and prices but I'm assuming you want a solution for LW, and modo is the only one that really offers that with native lwo support.

Otherwise, keep your eye out for Newtek at siggraph this year. I'm sure they'll be announcing some interesting new updates coming down the pipe, along with all the other 3d software companies.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried out the evaluation version of Modo and it seemed alright. I could probably learn to like it if I used it more, maybe enough that I would buy it, unfortunately I don't have that kind of money right now (ah yes, the joys of being 14).

I "acquired" the demo of Max 6 since my Max 7 demo ran out way before I ever really used it, but the interface just seems so archaic when compared to Lightwave's, very cluttered in my opinion. I guess it's because I'm used to having my modeling tools and rendering tools split up between the 2 parts of LW.

Anyways, it looks like I'll just have to keep wishing that Newtek will add edges in the near future.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Blender got edge mode around 2.30.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, yeah, among other things. ;]
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I don't get why anyone would use lightwave for anything other then say technical modeling it does have good tools for that . XSI or Maya are the only 2 full fledge modeling packages that meet just about all needs out of the box . Max is good for low poly modeling .
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'll find Max is also perfectly good for high-poly modelling. What are Epic using to create Unreal Engine 3 assets, I wonder... oh, Max.
    Also, as a person who uses Maya for work, I'd argue that out-of-the box, Max has much better polymodelling toolsets (applicable to both high- and low-poly modelling). I'd need plugins for Maya to even get close to Max or XSI's polygon editing tools. So I'm not sure where you're getting those ideas from, pogonip smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What are Epic using to create Unreal Engine 3 assets, I wonder... oh, Max.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They use 'whatever gets the job done'. If you want to use Lightwave there, up to you. Afaik some people there were using Modo too.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't get why anyone would use lightwave for anything other then say technical modeling

[/ QUOTE ]
    You don't get it for the same reasons other don't get why you'd use otehr packages.
    Actually, i always found LW to be a pain in the butt when it comes to technical models with the lack of tool handles and limited action centers, while it was fine for anything else.

At the end of the day You can model whatever you want with any of the packages pretty much with the same efficiency if you're used to their workflow.
    3d app discussions are as pointless as religion discussions, better not start one.