Home› General Discussion

Marketing for Artists

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, long time no see.

Last night I wrote up a small article on helping budding artists jump-start their careers based on my experience. I thought some of you might like to read it.

Direct link here: Marketing for Artists

And reposted below:

Marketing for Artists

I find myself in a lot of conversations with budding young artists seeking to get ahead in the world asking me advice on just how to go about that. I've examined a lot of individual cases and I've noticed a few common mistakes artists make that destroy their chances of getting ahead, and most of them stem from a lack of understanding of marketing themselves. I've noticed a few techniques that artist hopefuls can use to get ahead in the art field.

First, DIFFERENTIATE.

99% of artists I've seen make the same four models: Space marine, naked man, naked woman, and character from a recently released movie. If everyone's making the same model, how is anyone going to stand out? Being an artist that creates high quality assets is important, but quality should not be the only differentiator between you and another artist.

Consider this: If a potential employer is looking for a new artist, in a "market" where there are hundreds of space marines, how likely is it that your space marine is going to be the very best out of all of them? Not very. smile.gif

The most obvious (and most overlooked) solution for this is to choose subject matter that no one else is doing. If you create a "market" for a certain type of art by choosing something unique, who is there to compare and contrast against? Who's the competition? It also makes it that much easier to be remembered as "the guy that paints amazing metal" or "the guy that makes incredible fantasy creatures."

Let's face it; managers hiring artists are going to look through dozens of portfolios to find a worthy artist. If you're making exactly the same art as anyone else, what reason does this guy have to remember you?

Look at what other people aren't making, and make it well. Find a niche, an untapped potential market for a new or different type of art, and become the undisputed master of that art. If you do it right, you'll be seen as the originator, and everyone else will be a copycat. That's the benefit of being first. If you can't be the leader of something, find something you can be the leader of.

Let your portfolio reflect your personality, your uniqueness, your inner fire. You're the only one that cares about you, so try to communicate why other people should care and remember you, too, through your artwork. That's all they'll care about.

Second, BE OMNIPRESENT.

Were you the kid in high school who sat alone in a corner, ignored everyone and filled his sketchbook with his drawings? Keep the art focus, but lose the antisocial behavior. Keeping to yourself is the fastest possible way to failure and ruin. Period.

Woody Allen once said, eighty percent of success is showing up. That's one of the single most profound statements I've ever taken to heart.

Find a message board or website that focuses on art and start posting. Comment on other peoples' work, give helpful advice, be friendly, and make friends. Build a network of friends and acquaintances and surround yourself with them all the time. Be social. Network. Thrive.

To put this in perspective, every contract and every job I've ever gotten was the result of having known a guy that knows a guy. No cold calls, no internships, no open assault of job applications. My career was created entirely through networking. This can work for anyone, because the more people you talk to, the more likely it is that opportunities will literally come to you.

So get out there, make friends, and create a presence. Always be there. Always have a voice. Always have a personality. Be yourself.

Never make enemies, because the guy you just said stank mightily of elderberries could be the art director of a company you desperately want to work for in the future. I've actually heard of this happening many times, so don't shoot off at the mouth and hit yourself in the foot.

I'll say it again: If you think you can succeed by being antisocial, get comfortable mopping floors. smile.gif

Third, VALUATE.

Learn to qualify peoples' opinions. Not every opinion is equal. Anyone that tells you otherwise is absolutely, one-hundred-percent wrong. They may be nice and cool and seem sincere, but if you keep listening to them, they will destroy your ability to tell good advice from bad. You'll never know who's trying to help you grow and who's trying not to hurt your feelings. You'll consider the opinion of the tried and true professional to be equal to the worthless fanboy that thinks Leonardo da Vinci was the Ninja Turtle with the orange mask. (That was Michelangelo. Duh.)

Does "Hey, that looks great, don't change a thing!" sound familiar? No piece of art is without flaw, and rarely does an artist not have an opinion. If you want to feel good about your art, by all means, listen to these people and don't bother improving. But if you want your art to get better and be fit for a professional development environment, listen to the people whose comments hurt the most.

The people that rip your work apart the hardest are the people that genuinely want to help you. Think about it. They took the time to look at your work, think it over and write out a response. Your mom may think you're just the best guy ever and think you deserve all the attention in the world, but you don't. Time and attention is respect.

Show them the same respect and never turn them away. Be grateful. Learn to face the pain head-on. The comments hurt because they are true, and deep down, you know it. Get used to being broken down, and never fail to build yourself back up, stronger than before. Getting your feelings hurt is a part of life, and successful people learn to pick themselves up and try harder next time.

As you meet these people, acquire a mentor. Find someone better than you that knows what they're doing, is honest, and likes you. Become friends. The only reason I rose from a mewling mediocrity to a professional artist is because of mentors that invested time and attention in me. Drop your ego and open yourself to learning, and never, ever backtalk if you truly trust their opinion.

Finally, FREELANCE.

Your best bet toward getting a job making art is to simulate the job experience in every way you can. Join a mod. Design levels. Make player models. Most importantly, finish them.

Find as many ways as possible to gain experience making real, usable, ingame assets. There's a world of difference between making a model in a 3D application and making it work in the game, and that difference is what separates the amateurs from the professionals.

When you select a mod or contract to take on, decide in advance what you intend to learn from it and how you plan to grow. Every step I've ever taken in my career was considered in regards to what specific experience I'll gain from it. In my eagerness for experience, I have willingly eaten a considerable amount of dirt to get the experience I needed to move forward. Identify the gaps in your education and seek to fill them through hands-on experience. Always, always, always finish what you start.

And there you have it.

That's all I have to say on the subject. Depending on how well this is received, I may write a guide soon on how to dramatically increase your chances of getting a job based on my experiences as a salesman and as a hapless artist trying desperately to become employed. It's truly remarkable how simple it can be, and how so many people miss out on it.

Hope you guys like it.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is valuable information, and well thought out, Jon. I'm glad you took the time to write and post this article here. Diverse portfolio, networking, criticism, outstanding. As someone that's known you for years, I've seen everything in this article play out and work for you. You know your marketing, and have opened a lot of opportunities to many artists. Thank you.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good read, Jon, thanks!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Its good advice wink.gif
    But I find it a bit funny because a recent space marine model that I created has attracted allot of attention and job offers my way. There is always an exception to the rule however people looking to get employed would do well to listen to this.

Always, always, always finish what you start.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Nice article. I agree completely!
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    so all thoses DBZ drawings and models are wasted because the market is full? lol...

Good read, I agree with it all. Specifically the networking part...scratch their back and they scratch yours.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    this made me laugh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys, long time no see.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    lose the antisocial behavior. Keeping to yourself is the fastest possible way to failure and ruin.

[/ QUOTE ]
    great post and good to have you back
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Spacemonkey, well, clearly your work is closer to the high end of the spectrum, and major congrats for that. smile.gif

Slayerjerman, it's not just about that, it's just great to surround yourself with friends that share the same interests. Being social is its own reward, and it really makes me happy whenever I can help someone out.

Marine, aw, pooh! I have been busy... for example, I'm the character artist on the new Daxter game for the PSP. woo. smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jon, good read. Its good to see you back.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Jon, well a little bit of self promotion had something to do with the offers of course but I guess this echos your point of being omnipresent. I was fortunate enough to have the character displayed on the front of cgtalk, which meant allot of people were exposed to it.
    Posting in multiple forums, entering competitions which often involve Dev studios eg Cgchats monthly comp, all of it helps create awareness.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    wow.. i thought all it takes is to dye the hair every other day in toxic colors and worship the devil and shit

hmph.
    so, if everyone liked to beat me up during class breaks - do i still count as "OMNIPRESENT"?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    so, if everyone liked to beat me up during class breaks - do i still count as "OMNIPRESENT"?

Only if they distributed you evenly over the classroom walls.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Keeping to yourself is the fastest possible way to failure and ruin. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Compromise? What you proceed to mention may simply not be whom that person is. So we end up with someone pretending to be someone else versus themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll say it again: If you think you can succeed by being antisocial, get comfortable mopping floors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, there has to be a compromise. You yourself later on mention valuate. What worked for you may not work for others. I agree with taking criticism. You kinda loose me in a red haze though with friendliness. Do you mean friendliness or more acceptance? One can't possibly be friendly with everyone without loosing oneself in the process. How about instead show respect? Moreover, I can usually tell when someone is trying to be friendly for the sake of themselves versus actually because they have a interest in you the person. I would suspect art directors have acquired this survival skill also.

I know what you are saying, I just have a problem with the phrasing of that portion. Especially given my own experiences and personality. Im better than a mop, as all people are here. Just because we choose not to fake ourselves for others should not doom us. If it does, then this world is also doomed. I choose not to believe this as I hope you.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    That's called "idealogy" Oxynary. The simple fact is that the more prevalent a person is, the more job possibilities are opened up. Someone can be genuinely open and congenial without being fake or making friendships sheerly for their own self promotion. I'm too lazy to stay friends with anyone I don't actually enjoy talking to and being around.

I agree with Shine on this fact. If no one knows who you are, you can give it any kind of honorable reasoning you want, you're still gonna be mopping floors, or working at a third rate game dev.

Rather than faking it, start being more social. It's not "losing yourself" it's learning how to be more friendly, and investing yourself in the lives of others more readily. That's something you should desire anyway, not just for better job possibilities, but to be a better person in general.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Poop's right - if two people are of equal skill level as far as art and technical stuff are concerned, the person who is more open, friendly and generally knows and gets along with more people, has a much better chance of getting the job.
    It's not easy or enjoyable to work alongside people who "keep themselves to themselves", mostly...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well skill though I mean there never can be two equals. One person will always be better at something than the other (whilst the opposite is true).

However, yes, I am an idealist. And no, its not going to go away. Without hope, I frankly don't want to live in your world.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, suit yourself, but you've just reduced your chances of getting a good job you really enjoy (unless you already have one... do you?), and you're now no longer allowed to complain about anything that happens to you as a result of your attitude towards others.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    What world would that be? The one where you identify the way things work, and use the system to your advantage, while still maintaining those things you value and enjoy? If you know that marketing yourself can result in more money, better job, etc etc etc, why not do it?

Salvador Dali did exactly this. He played the public like a violin and still did exactly what he wanted to do. He's one of my art heroes because of this quality.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's not easy or enjoyable to work alongside people who "keep themselves to themselves", mostly...

[/ QUOTE ]

It can also make work hard or strained if people are not effective communicators. Quite a few times I have worked with the quite ones and because they didn't speak up and ask for help no one knew they where behind until it was too late.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now. Say what you will about cochtl, but he's a super swell guy. In fact, I can say that I love him.... in a nonsexual, humorous kind of way.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent read Jon. Just the thing a guy like me needs to be reading these days. The section about differentiating, thank you. Hope it gets through. About being social, and creating a presence. Good advice. I've been antisocial for years, and very cynical. I've said some rude things to people I've never met. But, I've slowly come to realize that if I want to get where I need to go in life, I need to knock it off. I must learn to shake less fists, and more hands. Not only to reach my goals, but to become a better person overall. Someone people can respect when I'm in a position of influence. The statements about accepting critism are also helpful. Bad crits are better than none at all.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    great advice , i particualy like the stuff about having a mentor.

and i liked Poops reply about trying to be a better person, generaly i think if you actually care about the people around you , no matter who they are. others will see that.

sorta like karma
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Salvador Dali did exactly this. He played the public like a violin and still did exactly what he wanted to do. He's one of my art heroes because of this quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Including selling blank canvases with hes signature laugh.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, that's art. It's definitely social criticism saying a popular artist can sell crap in a box for millions tongue.gif.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have had time to reflect. We all sell ourselves, I included. However, where I draw the line is "being hollywood" meaning manipulating others via acting friendly as though you really give a damn about them beyond just being respectful. In truth though, you are just using them as a stone to raise yourself up. Again, we all sell outselves. Even posting here shows this. But selling ones personality versus faking ones personality is where I stop. The way Mr. Jones worded it to me seemed to say this. Especially since he gave no option when he said "period".

So unless we are going to get into some kind of existential argument obout personality being freeflowing and adapting for the benefit of others which raises the quagmire of personal identity and freewill (I.E. Who am I really if I have no concrete basis, thus does "I" even exist?). Well, I think we would have to agree that everything if nothing else is a matter of balance. Which is what I was trying to say.

To me, there is no "period". There is however, compromise. Which personally translates to interacting with others, but not to the degree of fabricating/masking yourself just to gain those contacts.

Let us meditate on this wisdom..
    polygooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    wow, great advice, i will definitely take it to heart, especially being more social, i'm not anti-social but i tend to troll these forums more than post or comment, I always admire everyone's work here from a-far, all of you are amazing artists (not sucking up, just giving my honest opinion)and I never comment on your works, it's funny what you said about the crits though, i'm the guy that looks at something and gets blown away and then i'll read a crit and go back and look at the picture and agree with the crit, i guess i lack that critical "eye", anyways, GREAT ADVICE! and thanks!
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the continued kind words, guys! I've been getting a terrific reception of this article, far beyond what I'd expected. Really glad to know it's helping people.

Oxy, you're hearing a lot of things I never said. smile.gif

I used to be a seemingly uncurable introvert with no social skills. That wasn't working out for me, so I changed. Things got easier. No faking, no lies, no superficiality. Honest, sincere change through hard work and determination.

Being fake and dishonest takes a lot more effort than simply being genuine. When you're honest, keeping a consistent persona is automatic because you're just being yourself. Why bother lying?

People can and do change. All I'm saying in the article is that if you want to be successful, these pointers can make it a lot easier. You could probably make it by ignoring them all and doing it your own way. But it's so much more effective to follow them that deliberately choosing not to is counter-productive.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I apologize. I misunderstood your connotation.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of hiring good people is smelling the BS and knowing who is laying it all out there. Like you said oXYnary everyone sells themselves, even if that is selling themselves short. If someone is going to let thier work speak for themselves that portfolio better SCREAM tallent. So much so the company would risk a team mismatch rather than loose the tallent. They are not looking for Joe-Plastic-Car-Salesman and would more than likely show that guy the door. They are looking for someone who is ballanced enough to NOT cower in the corner and never voice his/her opinion at meetings. This is one of the last remaining few industies where you can get a job as Bob-Grunt and still have input on a game. Being too timid to do that is a waste in my book. I don't think its too much of a stretch to ask people to contribute, espeically when it is something they are pouring thier life into.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    'Respect the cock' smile.gif

r.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now. Say what you will about cochtl, but he's a super swell guy. In fact, I can say that I love him.... in a nonsexual, humorous kind of way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love cochtl in a sexual way.....
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Nice piece of advice, thanks
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, no wonder these ass pains have started up in the past few weeks...