Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lolth (half-spider/evil elf chick)img heavy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
Been working on this for my portfolio for a little while now. I'll vary the lengths and positioning of her spider legs more after I finish the uv mapping on her. Didn't feel like putting the time into tweaking them fully now and having to do it again later. Let me know what you think. Looking for some crits before I move on to UV mapping.

drider63vu.jpg

drider51ll.jpg

drider48kj.jpg

drider33iu.jpg

drider22hf.jpg

drider11vj.jpg

I'd like to thank b1ll for all the verbal abuse while I was working on this. Thanks buddy!

Sorry for all the images. Trying to show her from a good amount of angles so she's easier to crit.

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    it is Lolth! the spider queen of the abyss!

well.. actually thats not *quite* how i envisioned her.
    (you dont want to know, really)
    but she's pretty sexy anyways,
    especially considering the fact you had to model this under constant verbal fire from b1ll.

I, too, am a victim. We should start a polycount b1ll's victims group sessions.

the hands /wrist have no structure, study the anatomy.

her head seems very nice (looks like my, kinda) but unproportional to the body. its too big, or the body is too small. make a pick. for the head itself, maybe the brow could sink in a little more in the middle. its more femini-nish, i would say.

take a render without the braw-thing and this winz.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Thats amazingly close to how i had envisioned her accualy. :O

great job so far, do what shotgun says. smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, damn I had forgotten about Lolth. Been so long since I was really into D&D. I'll work on her head and hands tomorrow. Right now I have to go back to the hospital. My girlfriend has a kidney stone and they just operated on her for it. frown.gif

Changed the subject of the thread to be more suitable. tRens mentioned in #md that he thought the drider were all male, no females. I can't remember exactly but Lolth is definitely more fitting for this model.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright couldn't wait until morning to tweak this some more. Scaled down the head and adjusted her brow a bit. Tweaked the hands and added some ghetto nails to her fingers. Bitch has claws now! Various other tweaks.

lolth9tl.jpg
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    That's freaking awesome man please SDK I wanna texture !!
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    Great start but I think that it needs more work on such a huge project that Lloth herself smile.gif

First, work on the way the spider body becomes the human one.
    Don't forget that her spine column is the same for both parts so if you look the side view, doesn't it look to you that her back will hurt her at the end of a hard day of job.
    Seems she will fall at any moment like this.

I also think the legs are too smooth, you can give more life to those with a bit of hard edges and character.
    (she's a goddess !!! tongue.gif)

And at the end, I think you can add some design to the spider abdomen, he looks a bit like a deformed sphere.
    this huge space asks for more work, can you not hear? ^^

Nothing to say about the human body, he is bad ass laugh.gif

Keep up and show if you change something, want to see it finished smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kds: Her legs will get more randomization and tweaks in their shape after I get the uv mapping done. I want them to all share the same texture space but don't want to UV map each leg individually and line up all the verts. Will be easier to map 1 leg first then copy it then start tweaking the shape of the legs to give them a different look from each other.

As for her abdomen, most spiders basically have a squashed sphere shape to their abdomens if you look up some pics. I added more shape to her's than most real spiders have. I'll see about maybe defining a stinger more on the end of her abdomen. Most of the design of her abdomen will be in her texture.

Yeah her back does kinda' go a bit too abrubtly into the spider parts. I'll smooth out the transition.

Thanks for the compliments on her human body parts. I was going for a woman in her early 30's kind of body type. Hopefully I pulled that off.

pogonip: Thanks for the compliments. I don't know about releasing an SDK. I was just going to use her in my portfolio.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    First, it's Lloth, actually.
    Second if you arent too far into this project I'll put up a really nice picture of Lloth up tonight that has her proportions(and feel) down perfectly.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty happy with her design and proportions. I'll just stop calling her Lloth, hehe. It wasn't my intent to model Lloth from the beginning. I just wanted to model a half-spider/half-woman creature based on driders from D&D. It wasn't until I read gaus' post that I started calling her Lloth. I'll just start calling her Evil Spider Lady or something like that from now on, hehe. Thanks for the offer though.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    pogonip: Thanks for the compliments. I don't know about releasing an SDK. I was just going to use her in my portfolio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh and you can still use her in your portfolio ?? Though maybe it would be fun to see how other people do her texture also ? It's just very rare to see a quality fantasy model on here .
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool overall.
    I'm wondering why, at this polygon count, you're modelling the thing around her neck and belt? They'd look pretty much identical if they were just alpha-mapped planes, unless you zoomed right in, I guess. Save quite a few polys too.

I'm wondering about the loincloth - what's it covering? Kinda makes it look like it's a woman with no legs standing in front of a big spider body from the front view, rather than a half-spider-half-woman.

Not sure you need so many edge loops going from the sides of the nose to the mouth, either. Same with the helmet thing, and the legs probably don't need that many sides to the cylinder - there's generally quite a lot of stuff you can optimise there without losing any detail or shape, really.

That's me being pretty nit-picky though, in general it looks good (although like KdS says, maybe some better design about how she turns from a spider to a woman could look even cooler).

I always thought it was Lolth, not Lloth? Then again, I haven't seen any D&D books for years...

MoP
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    The model is good but it doesnt stand out. A problem I have with a lot of 3d fantasy creatures is that they're treated faily basic, there's nothing really exciting about the design of this character. I think while still keeping it part woman part spider you could do a lot more. The flow from spider to woman also bothers me...Its basically a spider body and a woman's torso merged, it doesnt look like this was made specifically for this purpose, this comes from having the body intersect the spider at almost a perfect right angle.

Other nitpicky things I notice are the cheek bones stick out kind of far, and the area to the outer sides of the eyes. It makes her face a bit flat and that particular part of her head wide.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell if I remember the correct spelling either. I've been clean 10 years now. Just say NO to dicechucking kids!

As for her polycount, I was going for somewhere along the lines of HL2 models. The main characters in that game have around 8k polys each for their highest LOD. She's around 10k right now. In Alyx's model she has a necklace on with a box thing on the end of it. They could've just left it a regular 6-sided box but the modeller bevelled the edges of the box dramatically increasing the polycount of it. So I didn't see much of a problem just going ahead and modelling in her necklace and belt buckle.

As for the loincloth, call it lazy design I guess, hehe. She needed "something" there to make the area more interesting. A loincloth is what first came to mind. I might play with it more and come up with something more interesting that flows better with the character.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Though it'd look like a ugly vagina you could put a spider's mouth on or just below her belly(stick it under the loincloth). Or some feelers or little claws, just something to pull her upper body closer to the spider bits. Maybe I should take a page for you and do my own spider chick?
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty cool, i think it would be better if you grabed some reference images for the legs. they dont look realistic atm. also i think it would look awesome if she wasnt just half an elf somehow attached to a spider's body. i'd make her arms and other parts of her body look less human and more spidery

anyways, looking great so far. it'll look nice and badass'd once it's skinned
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Getting closer to how I want her. I need to add some asymmetry to her.

evilspiderlady2sr.jpg

Thank you for the feedback so far. It's really helped.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I looked up the spelling of the Drow goddess. It seems both are correct. You can use Lolth or Lloth. smile.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, i think you should add some "spider-ness" to her upper body.
    it currently looks a bit too centaurish.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    dont forget alpha plane.. spider leg hair. smile.gif
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pfft no self-respecting woman would have leg hair! I'm going for more of a hard, glossy, chitin look to her legs and abdomen, like a black widow, instead of a hairy tarantula look. But I am adding in alpha planes to put in little touches of dangling webs.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like how you moved the legs to the front.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hollowmind:

this model is looking great. i like the changes you've shown in this thread.

my offered criticism is near what tinman, usagi, dejawolf, weiser_cain, and the like are touching on: the design aspects of transitioning from human-to-spider.

the spider element is blue, the woman element is red. imo, your character design needs some purple. i feel this mentality creates a much more interesting concept.

i liked dejawolf's suggestion of adding "chelicera" protecting it's vagina with posionous fangs.. but that's just me.

an idea i had was creating some sort of spider maine that turns into headhair. i feel that her hair stlye adds a sort of tension between the two elements and resolving that tension would move you much closer to where i would like to see it.

regards,
    kp
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally started texturing her. tongue.gif Been putting this off for too long. Here's what I have so far.

blah27ad.jpg

lolth16to.jpg
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    lookin' sexy! i'd hit it
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we all promise never to use that term again? Please?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    lookin' sexy! i'd hit it

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me that would be with a large bladed weapon?

looks great dude smile.gif i cant really crit much =/ im not too good at this texturing stuff. but maybe you could use some very very thin green overlays for some of the highlights? it might help bring them out... maybe a teal kinda green?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Your texturing is amazing, even more impressive than the model. Thats fantastic. If only more games had that eye for detail at an early stage frown.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I really love the ear, do what gir says and use some greens and other tones in the skin. looking great.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. Added some subtle greens in there and tweaked some detail a bit more. Made some subtle changes to the mesh of her cheeks and nose, too. Looks a little nicer imo. Thanks for the positive feedback. smile.gif I appreciate it.

untitled14vv.jpg

Alright, enough farting around with her face, time to move onto her hair.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thats just great smile.gif cant really say more than that!! may i ask, is her mouth animateable? maybe later you can pose her in like, a pissed off mouth open fangs bared pose? at the moment she looks kind of serene. like all is right in the world...

id be pissed perminently if i was half spider =/
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, her mouth has the inside modelled. I was going to play with maybe morph targets or a bone rig with her for some facial animation later on. Wanted to keep her face in a neutral pose for now.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I've been waiting for an update on this one smile.gif
    Nice start so far, though I envisioned her having a pale blue hue with shining black eyes before the texture was started. Perhaps being an evil spider chick she could do with a touch of desaturating, she does however look bitterly saturated, that could be a gud or bad thing dependin on what direction you're going to take with this.

Keep at it man smile.gif