Home› Technical Talk

What's more efficient?

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Well I have a question about textures. What uses more memory, having 4 separate 512 x 512 textures used in game or one 1024 x 1024 texture? A similar scenerio I'm wondering about is what is more efficient, to use 8 256 x 256 textures and one 512 x 512 or just three 512 x 512 textures. I thought using fewer larger textures is more efficient. The textures are going to be used for tanks that share parts, like the chassis. Oh this would be for use for a PC game. Thanks.

Alex

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This can be engine specific, I suggest asking your programmer. In a recent discussion, I heard 3x512x512 cost more than 1x1024x1024 in a friend's game engine because it's designed for less textures at larger sizes.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, ask your programmer. It depends how they use texture cache.

But it also depends on the layout of your scene, how often the texture is rendered. Everytime a texture needs to be rendered onto a surface, it needs to be sent to the texture cache. There's only so much room in there, so textures that aren't being used are generally tossed out to make room for new ones.

Tossing and loading textures takes time, it's generally slower to toss and load multiple smaller images than it is to load and keep a single larger one.

Some engines are designed to keep textures around in the cache longer than others, to try and predict if a texture will need to be used again soon. So asking about how it works in your case is a good idea. Plus you might get tips about what sizes will work well in your game.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, almost forgot... larger textures aren't always a good idea... they take up more room in the cache, so there's less room for other textures.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yes but if all textures belong to the same object anyway they all have to be loaded at the same time anyway. There might be some textures still in cache but there also might be some missing after a very short time.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, good point. I can only type so much. More of this kind of stuff is covered in these articles...
    http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf1.html

.. but generally you'll learn more by talking with your programmers.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    you can only load a single texture at a time, unless you do multitexturing (multiple textures layered on top of each other)
    so to be more precise one texture a "texture unit" normally your card can access like 4-16 textures at the same time, but not like per object, cause when you render a model that consists of multiple elements/objects the renderer has no idea what a object is, for it its just a big stream of vertices

so if you dont want 3 batches for your model but just one, use a single texture
    minimizing batch count (or drawcalls) is a key to optimizing render engines

theoretically if your textures arent repeated, one can combine all 3 into a single texture (like horizontally aligned) and then modify texture coords of your source object in a fashion that their texcoords are shifted/scaled to use the new texture
    the term for such packing is called "texture atlas"

you dont have to do square textures for PCs, I think only older consoles required square textures
    so you could pack those 3 yourself in a row.

also some more there isnt a texture cache in hardware
    there is a cache when sampling textures, ie when texels are read from the texture, but other than that textures are normally located on your graphics card and dont have to be "cached", since most people probably have 64 or more in their graphics card, most textures of your game will fit in (when compressed, and if your game doesnt have giant worlds)
    if your card doesnt have enough, the driver has to copy texturedata from local RAM to VRAM, which will indeed be quite a speed hit. the engine coder can try to hide this a bit, especially needs to be done in giant worlds when you wander around and a lot of different textures are used...

so yeah it really depends a lot on the engine/type of game you work on, hope I could shed some light into the topic, I am working quite a bit on 3d engine code, but am no pro, anyway if there is more questions around how 3d realtime rendering engines work I'd love to help
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three in a row will most likely not be a power of two unless one's twice as big as the others which leads to 25% wastage.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true, cant be power of two
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly. This is the kind of problem you'll want your programmer to solve. So in the event that someone comes screaming towards your direction yelling about how some model is using too many textures, you can point your finger at the programmer and say its his/her fault.
    Simple, really. smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh.

Sometimes the programmers will repack your textures anyway, and not tell you about it. I had that happen on a job once, noticed some weird resampling gumbo, had to squeeze it out of him but he admitted it in the end. He had an auto-atlas tool that would repack textures based on a batch analyzer. Changing the resampling filter was good enough for me.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    The reason to stick to large maps over multiple smaller ones comes from it being better digestible for the video cards. Both, Nvidia and ATI have enough documentation begging you to not ever use 4 small textures if you can fit it all in 1 large one. Ideally you'd merge 4 or 8 character skins into 1 4096 map... but then some old systems and consoles would throw up. But you get the idea.

Some very smart engine will take a lot of small textures of any size and stitch them together on the fly when the level is loaded, to be fed as large textures to the vid card.

Unless you have something like that, or your texture size is limited by some console hardware, or you're working with a crappy engine out of this world, or the whole game is supposed to use only 512 max res, 1 1024 texture will be always better then 4 512s.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm working on with a small team two programmers, 2D Artist doing th UI, and I'm doing most of the 3d work stuff and somtimes we have debates over what is better to speed up the game. The game is a rts game and the tanks share certain parts. The issue came up because I want to have different turrets of different tanks be on the same texture sheet to save on resources and because I feel having just one turret of a tank use up a 512 x512 texture is a waste of memory and texture space. One of the programmers suggested to use a 256 x 256 for the turrets instead but I feel that is a waste as well, since I can get more detail in part of a 512 by 512 texture and use less textures by using the rest of the texture space with another turret. The chassis of the tanks have it's own texture.

t_m.jpg

Another question I have is, if different units share a texture that has different elements of the tanks will that cause the rendering to slow down or have to draw extra passes for the units? The image shows how the tanks will be put together in game. Each tank is made up of three separate elements chassis, turret, gun. It's similar to how quake 3 models are set up lower, upper, head. Right now the chassis will have it's own texture and I want to put two separate turrets, guns in one 512 by 512 texture to save on texture use. I want to use 1024 textures but that got shot down.

My concern right now is that by the time the project gets released the graphics will look so dated that people won't want to play it. Thanks for all the replies and links.

Alex
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally, putting more on one sheet will mean the other parts are in memory even though the corresponding models may not be. In an RTS you'll probably have all units in memory anyway so you're probably free to combine their textures as much as you want. Don't go over 2048x2048, though, some older cards (earlier GeForce cards, for example) won't take anything larger. Oh, and don't forget DXT. You will murder the framerate if you do.
    What argument did they use against a 1024x1024?

If in doubt remember that you can use a 256x512 or something like that as well but you're probably better off using one 512x512 for two turrets, allowing the parts to cross the square boundaries would also allow for more efficient UV mapping.

SF: What confuses me is that games like HL1 or DOAXBV (the latter I know because someone ripped a model from it into UT2003) use one texture per UV group. That's roughly twenty small textures per model. In HL1 all MP models are reUVed to use only one texture map so it's not an engine limitation. Why would you want to use one texture per UV group, isn't that horribly inefficient even if we ignore texture switching times?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well if its an rts I assume the units are rather small ? think of average pixel area your unit will take on the screen and what your "targeted" screenres is (like 1200x1k..) it makes no sense that your textures are much bigger than the number of pixels they normally use on the screen.

and about graphics, I wouldnt worry so much, true graphics play a role, but you are not epic or blizzard who can afford army of artists and l33t engine coders. just get your game done and make it fairly nice. there is quite some good looking shareware games out there with dont use latest tech but at least look cool and run fine on nearly all hardware.
    one can do a lot with non latest tech, by just using the old much more efficiently, WoW doesnt have ultra hipoly stuff and looks quit edgy, but good art compensates as their main goal is to target as many as possible and not just those with geforce6 wink.gif

about the tank, since all elements are moved independently, likely the coder will render them as 3 parts, unless some more high level optimizing is done and the individiual matrices for each parts are also processed in the vertex shader.

so if you have 1 tex for 2 turret types, you could render all those 2 turret types in one batch. however it needs some additional vertex shaders to do that, but rather simple. really depends what you guys want your target hardware to be, but I guess most people have at least vertex shader 1.0 these days.you can go further and pack all parts of the tank in a single tex and you can render like a lot more tanks in one batch...

the less states the engine has to "change" the better it is. (texture binds are among others state changes)

btw extra "passes" in rendering is meant to be rendering the same thing multiple times, like when blending layers on top. this however will not happen for your tanks, since they are solid and probably dont need tons of textures on top of each other.

I wouldnt worry so much about the tech, it mostly is the engine coders job to add the real high end performance

that said you can still help by limiting texture size and texture count, and count more than size.

always think of how the object is mostly on the screen, so yeah it might not look as hot when you are up close to the tank when using a bit less res, but assuming an RTS commanders' view, this is hardly the case.
    then again you can always down sample and sharpen manually. ie make the high res and have it as "backup" or for special close ups.

so for batching its good to have big with many parts, as previous people mentioned
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    SF: What confuses me is that games like HL1 or DOAXBV (the latter I know because someone ripped a model from it into UT2003) use one texture per UV group. That's roughly twenty small textures per model. In HL1 all MP models are reUVed to use only one texture map so it's not an engine limitation. Why would you want to use one texture per UV group, isn't that horribly inefficient even if we ignore texture switching times?

[/ QUOTE ]

HL1... i wouldn't know what motivations for that they had 10 years ago. I'm not an archeologist but maybe it was better for cards without any hardware acceleration or memory... maybe they just weren't performance driven as people are now, dunno. I wouldn't really look at such old games, things have changed too much.

About the tanks... if that's the whole dilemma, i'd just go with whatever feels better for you. Keeping it all nicely in large sheets etc is something to keep in mind for the whole game.
    If you now feel that in 1 situation it's better to use a texture more, who cares really, it's not gonna break anything. As long as you keep everything neatly clean you can allow yourself to go nuts here and there if you feel it makes a difference.
    I pretty much use texture sheets and split parts i think i'll use in another models into other separate texture maps. Also, if i want a small part of a skin on another model i'll just have the whole skin for that other model loaded in memory too... Provided that other model is somewhere in the same level too, it's gonna be loaded to memory anyway.

Keep it all neat as a rule of thumb and then you can go wild here and there if your common sense thinks it's ok. You're not building rockets.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the other example was Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. Kinda recent I think. Though I doubt there was a point behind that decision. Perhaps for alternative costumes that use only part of the texture? But even then it wouldn't make sense to use that many splits...
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im guessing that it either didn't matter, since in a game like that where the loaded level is very small you won't have memory problems, or they had to work around some obscure console limitations... In any case, it's not the usual way to do things.
    I doubt they had to worry much about performance and hitting memory limits with that game.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't the volleyball title on PS2? Horrible texture-size limits on that thing, IIRC.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, XBox. 15 thousand triangles per character.