Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

i really need a new obession

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
[edit]updated below[/edit]

i've bee working on this the past 3 days

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt2.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt4.jpg
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt3.jpg

still gotta give her some hair and finish the holster and straps and make it look like she's actually wearing a shirt. not really happy with the face. she looks too young.

somewhere in the range of 6000 polies. i was limiting myself to 7000 so i think ill come in well under that. a lot can be deleted/optimised down from under the skirt

inspired by this alt costume concept for Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil Remake on GameCube. NOT meant to be Valentine just based off the costume.

so.. umm.. yeah..

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I like how you didn't overboard with polys on the brests, really well done. She seems a little short and prepubescent. I think most of that comes from her head, it seems big? But that could be the style?

Also the ancles seem a touch too thick from the front.

Her stance is a little wide, I would bring the feet closer together. Normally feet are shoulder width or less, apart. Since females walk a straight line (one foot infront of another) and normally you want to build your mesh so it doesn't have to deform that much when animated, her feet would come in quite a bit when she walked. I worry about texture streching on her hips and poly pinching in the center with the way she is right now.

I would also give her a little bit of a longer thinner torso, not by much. I would also trim down her ears and the back crainium.

Here is a paint over I did that explains it better than I can in words.
    Horrid Paint Over
    (See below for one I made when I wasn't half asleep and rushed to get out the door)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I much prefer the stance and proportions Snemmy already has it in than the paintover there...

Her shoulders look too wide to me. The eyes and general facial proportions are pretty weird - all the features seem a bit too big to me.

I don't like the construction of the legs - all those polys are really linear, move the verts around a bit to get rid of the "perfect cylinder" look.

Also, she really doesn't look like 6000 polys are being used there. I bet you could get it down to 5000, maybe even 4000 without changing the shape or detail much at all - the arms definitely have too many sides, they don't need to be that "smooth".

The poly construction around the breasts, shoulders and upper arms is pretty nondescript - you're not getting any anatomical detail in there, and with that amount of polys, you really could do a lot more than you're currently getting.

Her miniskirt in the side view doesn't make much sense, it looks like it should hang down at the back over her upper leg, looks weird being totally figure-hugging. I guess if it was PVC or something like that, it'd be ok though - the colour and transparency of that material is really throwing me off on that though.

I don't like the design of the glasses ... maybe it's a personal thing, but it just doesn't look like any thought or design has gone into them ... they're very boring to me.

But yeah, in my opinion you should just leave the proportions as they are (apart from the shoulders), just work on the anatomy and making her body look more natural, less "manufactured" if you know what i mean.

It's a good start though, keep it up smile.gif

MoP
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly Vig, Give up the paintovers, U realy dont have it, And its Up to Him, Not to you to decided is proportions. Especially when they look fine.

Snemmy, Front view and back view are sweet, head in side view is cool too, I would Buff the side of the body a bit, to match the front and back. Cya!

b1ll
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Vig, you got a weird sense of proportion. The proportions her hips and ribs are in now are a lot more natural. I agree with MoP that the shoulders are a little too big but that's about it. Vig, no offense, but your adjustment to the pic is way too skinny. Freakishly skinny.

Her knees could use some more tweaking to define them better.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    He's probably played too many videogames and bases his understanding of female anatomy on that... tongue.gif

Snemmy: Are you sure those breasts should be visible independently? She's wearing a shirt, the area between them shouldn't be so form-hugging. Really, it looks like a nude model or something.

I wonder what she'd look like with hair? Probably less like Ghandi.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty much what Mop said. that looks like a 3k poly model, and the reason for that is the poly wasteage in the arms and legs because you have more sides than you need.

I've mentioned this before, and people say "but it looks ok". I'll say that in a game you WILL NOT NOTICE those smooth cylindrical limbs as being smoother than 8 sided ones. Take them out and reuse them to shape the silhouettes.

The paintover isn't as good as the image.

I notice that some verts are in to aid deforamation around the knees and ankles. This is good, however you can also use those to shape the model as well as aid deormation.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I fudged the paint over up pretty good, that is what you get when I get up 20min before work and check the forums. The one I had before made her look almost "Amozon-ish".

The main point I was trying to make and it seems everyone missed is that the space between her lets is really wide. If you remove the mini skirt she either has really thick upper thighs or there is a large gap? Neither is apealing if you think about it...

Since I had some down time I whipped this up which I think better shows what I was trying to show but was too rushed/sleepy to do it. She still might be a touch too skinny but Japanese chicks are "a touch too skinny". Also the ref is freakishly skinny and tall, I understand the ref is only a general "guide line" for the outfit but 90% of the outfits style comes from the porptions of the figure, if he is going for that "style of outfit" he has to hit some of the main style points. Might as well show a pic of a fat 60 year old male gym teacher in a mini skirt and say its just a general guideline for an outfit.

re_miniskirt3b.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the crotch area is probably a bit too wide, but personally I think the proportions he has already look better than what you're suggesting with your editing, Vig.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if he ignores how freakishly skinny I make her (to better match the ref), if he moves the legs in a bit and gets rid of the bow-legged-ness it will look great.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I prefer the original proportions still. Also, girls legs don't meet at an exact point in their crotch. There is a bit of space to make room for their vagina there.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hollowmind: I'm sure we're all aware of this... I don't think anyone was suggesting the legs should actually join at the top without any space between them at all... smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I prefer the original proportions still. Also, girls legs don't meet at an exact point in their crotch. There is a bit of space to make room for their vagina there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll remember that the next time I ride my Land Walker between her legs without touching flesh... Unless she was born with 2 vaginas side by side there is too much space there.

Also if we want to talk about "real women" most of them have a little meat on thier thighs and even when they stand with thier feet shoulder width apart the thighs do touch in the center. But as you can see by the paint over I am not suggesting that =)
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 vaginas side by side....IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES! laugh.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [edit]updated below[/edit]

thanks all for the comments and suggestions. they were most helpful

just to clear up any crotch related musings. here's what it looks like without the skirt.
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/crotch_01.jpg
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/crotch_02.jpg

and without the arm blocking the side view. she might still be too skinny from the side.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt07.jpg

and here's some updates and whatnot.. still havent gotten around to doing all the suggestions. i think im about burnt out for today. will get to the rest tomorrow.

FEAR MY 75% SELF ILLUMINATION PASTEL COLOURS OF DOOM!

*changed shoulders (pink arms are just to remind me which bits are the shirt and which are flesh)
    *added hair
    *started on sleeves
    *no boobie seperation to make shirt
    *added a little shape to knees and arms
    *brought legs in some
    *messed with face and neck some

need to work on the glasses and the holster some more and add some shirt wrinkles ot the body. and maybe make new hands, not sure though..

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt05.jpg
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt06.jpg
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt08.jpg
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/socialnemesis/stuff/re_miniskirt09.jpg

hair style probably is super lame but whatever...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Might look better if you moved the lower lip back a bit. Dunno, there's just something about her that reminds me of Ghandi.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trudge trudge trudge.....

re_miniskirt10.jpg
    re_miniskirt11.jpg

new glasses, new hands, new legs, new boots, re-worked shirt collar/chest area, re-worked arms, face (hope she's less Ghandi like for you now KDR wink.gif), shoulders.. touched on just about everything but holster.

oh and she needs a new skirt now that ive messed with the hip area and legs.

so.. yeah.....

ack!! i just realized i took away the bootay! nooooo! i need to fix that..
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re_miniskirt12.jpg

skirt, holster worked out. shrunk her horizontally 5%. started cutting in some of the major wrinkles. got rid of the silly cuffs i had. earring alpha planes. turned the gun holster to an actual functional position..

oh, and no more pastels :|

/me trudges ever onward...