Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Broncos Weaponary (ongoing)

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Heres something ive been working on for the last 2/3 days and is the first hopefully of a pack of weapons that might get release on turbo squid or similar websites.

* Model by maxinaut
* Model Unwrapped by myself.
* single 512x512 texture
* rendered at 60% self illminasion.
* easyily my best weapon texture ever.
* Does this make the turbo squid cut?

ak47ren.jpg
ak47ren2.jpg
ak47ren3.jpg
AK47tex1.jpg
Im hoping to start work in the next few days of texturing an M16,which presents a whole new set of challenges,namily the switch from metal materials to plastic based.

John

Replies

• Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you skin better than me smile.gif ... I suck at skinning.
    But I can't even unwrap laugh.gif
    You have fit your skin pretty nicely on the texture. Not very much free space left smile.gif I personally would have given the wooden parts a litlle bit more accuracy. wink.gif

Good job!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Not too shabby, definitely up to par with most of the stuff I've seen on TurboSquid. My main crits would be the highlights on the wood and magazine. Right now the wood butt, forearm, and handle all look a bit bland; I think they could use some wide, diffuse highlights to give the wood a bit of a polished look (but not too sharp of a highlight). The magazine on the other hand, seems to have too many highlights... maybe tone it down a bit and make it look more like the receiver.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that's a nice piece of weaponry you've got there.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    NICE! definite improvement man looks really cool. a couple of things, don't highlight every edge, tone them down towards the middle of the edge sice basically what ur trying to do is create that shiny worn effect where the paint's been worn off and the metal is nice and polished at the corners/edges. so thats that. do NOT use layerstyles, I can tell and it looks like ass. smile.gif anyways what you might also want to do is put wider more clossy highlights on the main flat metal areas, something like a gradient, like check this out here: AK47-800.jpg it appears to be all one color but if you look closely theres a bunch of lighter areas going into darker areas and so on on the flat side of the gun, basically a bunch of gradients, try and simulate that, but don't go overboard, should make the metal parts pop a little more and look more realistic.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha

Thanks guys for the feedback:-

Echelon-IV:- Cheers,yeah I wish id given the butt a tad more space than I did.

KeyserSoze:- Thanks for the feedback,ill have another mess with it in between my shifts later today see if I can ump it us abit.

Rockstar:- Good advise man,again ill see what i can do between my shifts.

Update later I hope.

John
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    looking really nice man, good work!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update

*toned down the clip.
    *erassed/toned down afew extreame highlights.
    *tried adding gloss as Rockstar suggested.
    *tried adjusting the lighting on the wooded areas.
    * changed the overall colour.

Hope you can like teh changes,what do you think of the colour change?

ak47ren.1.jpg
    ak47ren2.1.jpg
    ak47ren3.1.jpg

John
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHHHHH!!! AN AK-47!
    /vig goes screaming out of the room
    I have seen alot of AK's made and this is one of the better ones I have seen. However I have seen too many to really feel moved to say much more. Blame the 4 billion CS kiddies that tried to make an AK out of 120 sided cylinders and duct tape.

Nice model tho, I really like the texture =)
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    That's hot®
    Nice changes! Man I just seem not to be able to catch Nermin online frown.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the thing is too soft, or slightly blured. I threw the map in PS real quick and ran a sharpen over it and it brings out some really nice details. I would also play around with turning off some/all of the Anti-Aliasing, image filtering, and multisampeling settings in max because i think that is washing out the details of your texture even more. Once you do that stuff i think it looks really nice.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey EQ

Thanks for the heads up,Are those max settings the ones found under the renderer options or are they under the material options?

Thanks

john
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have gotten over my fear of AK's. There isn't much that hasn't been said or suggested but I think I can offer one nugget of help. I suggest adjusting the brightness of the gun parts -1-10 and the contrast +20-50. It would take the metal from flat-ish grey to gun-metal grey and give it a little bit more of a darker shine.

It looks great!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco: The renderer settings in the render window.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy all

Heres an *almost* finished WIP of the M16,the second weapon for the weapon pack.

*rendered at 60% self illumination
    *Hard Plastic look
    *Im going to redo the barrel highlights when I get back from work tomorrow and make some more adjustments.

C&C welcome.

m16render1.jpg
    m16render2.jpg
    m16render3.jpg
    m16_tex.jpg

John
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your stuff looks good, Bronco, but I find your metal soft and fluffy, as though your textures are smaller than they are. Take a look at how this guy handles his metals, http://www.lone-wolf.tk/
    really sharp, believable stuff. Keep practicing and you'll have this in no time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has the same flaws as the last one i think, so i wont re-write my crits. I threw it in PS real quick and tweaked the curves to give it more contrast, and ran a sharpen over it to make the details pop and it looks much better imo.
    bronco2.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey EQ

Thanks for that it looks much better now,I did mess with the curves some and sharpen this time round but somehow I just could not make it look "right",I think its more a lack of confidence in my abilities and am slightly nervy about pushing things,which sucks to be honest....ill give it another go though and see if i finally sucseeed on the under slug grenade launcher which ive just started working on.

Thanks for the feedback though.

*must push thing,must push things,Must....*

John
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're on the right way. It looks like you did use a good photo for material reference. Some parts on the reciever look really good.
    There are 2 things I would recommend you: 1. Work on your base texture. Putting some time into it really pays out. I paint them individually for each weapon. I have some splat brushes to do them. There you can already do the major color differences
    2. Stay closer to your reference. I sometimes end up painting almost every single highlight (sometimes pixelsize) I find on the ref pics.
    Good job so far!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    howdy guys

Well as promised heres my next one.
    For the most part its the same texture as the normal one (above) but ive done the added underslug on a seperate 256x256 map.

I think it shows that I did this at 512x512 then narrowed it down to 256,ill play around with it some more tomorrow and try and get more defonition into the underslug barrel.
    Also theres some slight tonal diffeences in colour throughout that I wnat to try and address before I call it "final".

Anyway heres what I have so far....Tried to take your crits into account this time EQ smile.gif.

m16gl1.jpg
    m16gl2.jpg
    m16gltex.jpg

John
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Hey that's much improved. Never be afraid of contrast and highlights. My only crit is maybe what you're alluding to, with the lack of sharpness in the vents.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff Bronco, keep practicing! Definately seeing good improvement.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    much better smile.gif I like it
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thats looking a lot better now man.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waay better now man keep on going laugh.gif i'm almost finished unwrappign the mp5 and starting to texture.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well,not done much work in awhile,taken a break from as Nermin is on holiday and ive been drinking far to much with my mates back from university smile.gif.

Anyway heres the next and second from last gun,the FN2000,It took me about 3 attempts to get it looking good and I found it pretty challenging a sits not the most intresting gun ever. but anyway,ursal rules apply,bog standard lighting with 60% self-illumination.

fn2000_ren1.jpg
    fn2000_ren2.jpg
    fn2000gl_ren1.jpg
    fn2000gl_ren2.jpg
    fn2000tex1.jpg
    fn2000ggl.jpg

Hope ya dig it...keep the hints and tips coming guys.

John
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And heres the Standard MP5,just got 2 minor variations of this and then the Sniper version with the works (Scoped and silencer).

same rules apply,60%SL

mp5.jpg
    mp5_1.jpg
    mp5_standard.jpg

John
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    your texture work looks very cartoony

partly it may be to the fact that you lack sufficient baked lights in the texture as well as having too many different shades and tints fighting for attention
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Fuse

Thanks for the comment.

Looking back im in agreement to the point about different areas fighting for attention.

To try and get the balance right next time (on the last model in this project) im going to try going from greyscale to get the values and depth right and then colour after and see if that works any better.

Thanks

john
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Try the tutorials on st.burst.cc they are really great for the sort of textures you're doing.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ha,thanks option..thats exacly what I need!!.

Got one more gun for the pack leaved to go..the styre-aug,we'll see if I can improve alittle bit more with this last one.

john
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You seem to have the same problem I used to have (and still have to a degree). In that you don't ever take your darks dark enough.

Try starting with a near black, like almost pitch. Then never let yourself cover over every bit. You are losing your ability to describe this stuff as metal by keeping the darks in a middle value. DAAAARKEN!!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy guys.

heres the last weapon for the pack,ill post up the groupie screenshots abit later on once I have double checked the models again smile.gif.

60% Self-I.

Tried doing as Poop said more on this one,im really pretty pleased with it,also thanks for the tutorial links,that came in really useful smile.gif

Anyway here ya goes.
    strye-augpic.jpg
    strye-augpic2.jpg
    strye-augpic3.jpg
    strye-augtex.jpg
    styre-aug-mod.jpg

John
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    nice i love the steyr
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    I can see that the tuts I gave you really helped you improve. The metal looks far better, and you have a nice scope lens, you synthetic materials are pretty good too. Only thing that would be nice would be a slightly transparentish mag in the vein of this one
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice goign bronco, but am I the only oen who thinks your always useing those white highlights too much ont he plastic :O its realy withe and strong it feels strange :S or am i nuts?
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okies guys.

First off thanks all for your time and helping me with this,I have learnt a ton throughout this project and I think these are my best works ive done.Also you can see the improvments I made throughout from the AK to the styre-Aug in the way I work. So yes...thank you all!!

Well here it is,Nermin is sorting out the final documents for final release but the final renders and pics are up.

http://www.tridinaut.com/gallery/pack2/index.html

Thanks again for the help smile.gif.

John
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    For your next pack you should make give it a "FREE!" knife model for extra appeal.
    or is this the last one...
    no no... make more...
    So good luck with selling that pack.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Bronco, nice job! Looks even better when it's for sale, doesn't it?

Someday soon I'm going to kick into doing real-world weapons, and you've given me inspiration / a cheat sheet!

/jzero