Home General Discussion

some general questions about gameartists

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
In the last time i got some questons, i know want to ask here

1: are you working at the studios office or from home (freelancing) and why

2: how is the copyright thing handled where u work(country)?

it seams in the us there is a very bad (for the artist) way of dealing with it.. here in germany you are the one who ownes the art you create, you just sell usagerights to the company, but if they whant to reuse or change the art in the future in a way you don´t like, you can forbid it

thx smile.gif

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    1. I work for a company/studio (I live here too)
    2. I'm pretty sure the company owns whatever I make here.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    work for a company

what i make belings to the company

thats fine for me.. this is work i am being paid for it, i would not expect or ask for any ownweship of work that i'm getting paid to make.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    here in germany you are the one who ownes the art you create, you just sell usagerights to the company, but if they whant to reuse or change the art in the future in a way you don´t like, you can forbid it

[/ QUOTE ]

Im highly confident that you're wrong on that point, even considering the fact that I know little about German trade law. As a freelance commercial ilustrator, yes, you technically own the rights to artwork you produce. What you sell is the right to print the artwork once. But as an in house salaried 3D artist? No, Im pretty damn sure the company you work for owns everything you make, even in Germany.

I dont think copyright law is 'very bad' or even any different for artists here versus artists in Europe.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Contract enviroment artist in the US - everything I make is owned by the client.

Now if you made generic models and sold them wholesale that would be a different story.

When you do stuff for a company making a game you're making a unique piece that by selling to another company would devalue the asset.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Usually when you start work with a company, you sign a work contract. Somewhere in there it usually says that all work is owned by the company. This is called "Work for Hire."

At the other end of the spectrum, as a freelancer you can develop your own standard contract. You negotiate with the client what rights they are willing to purchase. Some clients want you to sign their contracts, wherein typically they include a clause about owning all rights into perpetuity in the known universe, blah blah blah. Bullshit.

If you're really desparate for the work, you sign it. But if you have any leeway (and you usually do) you should only sell them the rights they'll need, and offer them additional rights at additional cost.

An excellent resource I can't recommend enough...

Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
    http://www.gag.org/pegs/index.php
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    DAZ: no i don´t think your right. The law called "Urheberrecht" in germany cant be passed over by any contract. Companys cant be holders of this right, they can only buy the right to use the "thing" you made even if it is the exclusive right

but i don´t want to discuss what is "better" or more "right", i´m only interested how this is handled elsewhere smile.gif

eric thanks for the link, this sounds very interesting, i will look if i can get it here in germany!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I dont think you read my post carefully enough.

I said that in the case of *contract* work ( aka freelance, self employed, etc ), you are absolutely right, BUT in the case of being *employed by a game studio* , to sit under their roof and create 3D Art for them as an employee, those laws cannot possibly apply.

Think it through logically. It would the most utterly ridiculous situation if a games company didn't have the legal right to get an employee to change whatever artwork they needed them to. That is just an absurd notion. So you're telling me that If I worked at a German game studio and my boss asked me to change some artwork I'd done I could just sit there and refuse? Er, nope. Nothing would ever get done. I cannot believe that German business law could be that backward.

I'm pretty sure we have our wires crossed.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think we have something similar over here, or atleast I've read so, But that's something the older freelancing illustrators thought up, and I dont think it holds even there..

Mainly there's nothing artistic about creating artwork for companies, it's material, and they pay you to create it for them.. so why should it always be yours?..

I always assume in all cases that the ownership will go to the ones I create it for..
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    1. depends, i usually work from home for several companies at a time, i did move and work on site for a few jobs in the past though but in germany i find the whole situation to be too unstable to really commit myself to a studio as a full time employee at the moment. besides, i like cologne and wouldn't like to move to a less attractive place without being seriously tempted by the company's offerings. wink.gif

i can almost freely schedule my time during the day as i wish, all what matters is that the milestones are met. i can use my own rig and tools to work with.
    no one does crunch mode on a freelancer working remote with overtime salaries in mind wink.gif

2. all the rights get transferred to the client. and they get all the final assets, not neccessarily all the sources, so i'm normally the one who gets the job as soon as they want something changed.

3. if you consider working with a us company, you'll need to do some paperwork first. don't know how that stupid IRS form was called but you'll have to get a taxpayer identification.
    before making them an offer, consider how big the difference in euro vs dollar and the cost for cheque or paypal cash-in will be and calculate accordingly.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ha daz i DO read your post VERY carefully tongue.gif

but as i said the (german)company your workin on (as you said *employed by a game studio*) doesn NOT have the last Copyright.. but of corse that doesn´t change a lot bc if you refuse to change something they want you to, your not going to stay there for long

And with the full usage-rights they have of corse a range of possibilities to change the "thing" but they must ceep in mind, that too big changes could be forbidden by you

but anyways.. this part is very unclear defined, so its possible for the company to demand editing rights in the contract. But if the case is not clear they have to ask you before they change something

in germany; if you want to paint your "house-with-higher-architectural-look" green instead of red you have to ask the architect .. if he says no you cant do it... wink.gif

hi gj

thanks for the info especially part 3 ist very interesting! smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Woo look Crytek have jobs going: http://www.crytek.de/inside_crytek/index.php?s=jobs
    Seems like the working conditions look pretty good. Funny that they neglected to mention that you can simply sit there and refuse to do any work too! How cool is that? When the boss comes over and asks you to change something you made earlier you can just say 'no, I dont like your idea, I'd prefer the truck to be pink with the purple spots like I made it originally. I wont change it! So there!'

Awesome.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but with all due respect you're talking complete nonsense smile.gif It's also a dangerous message that you're sending to people who might be reading this, since they will very much get a false impression about their rights as an employee.

Crytek own the artwork made by their employees and retain full usage rights. As an EA employee, I also know that the same applies to EA Germany.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I work a day job at a large firm that provides me with moderately challenging graphic design work, and good insurance, which I really, really, really need. My family health care requirements would wreck most small game companies' insurance plans.

But recently I've started doing some freelance game art at home. I've almost always done some kind of side work.

But the copyright issue seems to come down the principle of intellectual property ownership. I gather that German architects retain IP rights to their houses even after the sale of the physical property?

If I am working as a freelance illustrator, and I create a painting that depicts images that I come up with myself, then the fee I receieve from the client gives them the right to reproduce that artwork, but ultimately I retain the rights to that image, because I created it.

HOWEVER, when you're working in games, more often than not you are working on IP subjects that have already been created, registered, and probably even licensed by the company. So you didn't own it to begin with, and I would assume that the copyright you may hold on your contract illustration of Sam Fisher or Tommy Vercetti is somewhat limited, legally, by the fact that the character was created by someone else, and owned by your client.

And if you're working on game model assets in which the actual 3D file probably started somewhere else, then you're just like a house painter working on someone else's property. But it's work!

I'm not complaining. "If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say." -- Winston Zedmore

/jzero
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    Apologies for the sarcasm, but with all due respect you're talking complete nonsense

[/ QUOTE ]
    i don´t force you to belive me, but these paragraphs exists, if you think they are nonsense or not wink.gif
    (if i get the script from my legal-teacher i can try to translate it for you smile.gif )

[ QUOTE ]
    It's also a dangerous message that you're sending to people who might be reading this

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why i don´t wanted to make such a big thing out of it tongue.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there are no bad feelings intended, but you are sending the wrong message. Like I said, Crytek own full usage rights to their artwork, and not their employees. You must be talking about some ancient legacy law that in every day business practise just isn't implemented or adhered to any more.
    The same kind of nonsense mythical laws that I remember kicking around my home country of England when I still lived there. Like "a bus driver should by law be able to accept a stamp as legal currency" or "you can be imprisoned for pushing to the front of the bus queue" ;-)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Or taxi drivers pissing against their wheel, or shooting Welsh folk with a crossbow.

Heh, football (the real type played with your feet) is technically illegal in the UK due to an ancient law never repealed.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    like in england treson being the only crime that still holds the death penalty? ... or is that an urban legend
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Daz: Refusing to do what your superiors tell you when it's not against any law is a reason for immediate termination. You can deny them the right to change your work but you cannot refuse a direct order from your superior (within legal boundaries, of course. Forcing you to hand something you own over is a violation of the constitution, not even a military instructor will touch your stuff without explicit permission). If he tells you to change something you could tell him to go fuck himself but he could also tell you to pack your stuff and leave immediately. But remember, what the companies tell you isn't necessarily true. Just because they say they gain ownership of any of your works does not mean it's true (just as EULAs claim a whole load of shit). They could claim that just to intimidate and confuse you.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    [ QUOTE ]
    Crytek own full usage rights to their artwork, and not their employees

[/ QUOTE ]

ohohohoh daz.. now i have to claim you for not reading my post carefully wink.gif

i´v said that the company ownes the full usage rights!! they must be stupid to employ someone without demanding that right
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I own Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls and it rocks.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    sigh

I dont really understand what either you are trying to say to be honest. I guarantee you that If you work for EA Germany and make artwork under their roof, they own it, not you.

rollin: I thought you were trying to say that you could refuse to make changes to artwork and that technically you own it? You have every right to refuse to make changes yes but you'll get fired, and no, you dont own it. The bottom line is, the fundamental rights and conditions that you work under If working for a German games studio compared to the US are, in practise, very similiar. That's all Im trying to say. Your initial post makes the claim that working for a US games company you have far less ownership rights than working for a German company. You can continue to argue that point, but it simply isn't true. Working for someone like Crytek would be the exact same as working for someone like Epic in terms of what kind of ownership and legal rights to the artwork you make you have ( i.e in practise very little ). You'd sign a very similiar contract. That's the bottom line. Im speaking from the perspective of an industry veteran with international experience.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a difference between the law and practise and I'm fairly sure that practise will not differ no matter what the laws say.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well isn't that *exactly* what Im saying?! That no matter what archaic laws are kicking around, that in *practise* working for a Gemran games studio is the exact same as working for a US one?!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, but I think he made claims about theory/law, not practise.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    daz: in the US everything you make for any kind of contract (if inhouse or freelancing) belongs to the company, AND they hold the Urheberrechte (thats not exactly the same like copyright!), only Way to ceep them is to bring that into the contract (like a freelancer could try)

in Germany your not able to give these rights away even if you personally, with your own hands and the true willing sign a contract where you give them to the company .. it is impossible.. beleve me.. im living in germany and i have this degree course here on the FH hold by people who have to do with this stuff daily

but would be great if we can agree with "does not make any differences in the normal workday" smile.gif

ok BUUT.. what me realy interests more is: why are you working there at the studio and not on the base of freelancing? or why are the freelancers freelancing? if it´s realy like thomas said, i wonder why there are people still working in the studios?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Erm yeah, it "does not make a difference in the normal workday" !

Why Im am I working at the studio Im at? Im an Art Director. What would I Art direct at home? I've freelanced before for many years. There are pretty obvious pros and cons of working both ways. Some people like to get up each morning and mix with other people. Some people like to stay at home.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ah sorry.. it take me so long to post that i´v didn´t read the last 3 posts wink.gif

aaahhoo jia .. whe have a agreement wink.giflaugh.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well it's not like that i refuse to mix with people and for sure i am interested in getting back into a studio.
    stability in life and job security are some major reasons to get back into a day job.

into the right one, obviously. over here it's not exactly a gold-rush in gamedev. that reflects on the number of available jobs, job security and payment. at the moment i have better options than what's being offered to me for full-time gigs.

going to crytek? former co-worker did that. have heard enough bad stories by now about them. my ears are bleeding!