Home Technical Talk

Maya 5 PLE image plane crash?

chip
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
chip polycounter lvl 18
Zooming in or out in an ortho viewport with an image plane consistently crashes Maya 5 PLE. I've also had crashes with viewport pans using an image plane. Persp camra doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone have any insight on this? I have googled and searched this & other forums, found a few reports but no usable solutions. I've tried a number of image formats, and experimented with camera & image plane attributes, to no avail.

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Discounting any likely 'graphics card' glitches, try pasting your ref image onto a poly plane, and locking it into a layer on it's own as a reference object (so you can't accidentally select it). I've not used Maya 5 PLE - but I know doing that has helped me and others using Maya 5. I don't like using the in - camera image planes.
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    thanx, Gmanx, that was to be my next approach, but I was wondering if the image plane glitch was common. I'm running a GF4 Ti4800 128Mb, so I don't think it's a vidcard weakness. No error data reported, just "Maya has encountered a problem" (duh!) so I can't even try to track the cause.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Thave you tried converting the image to other format's. I've had maya crash on JPG's when used as textures. Uncompressed formats seem to work the best in maya, bmp's tiff's tga's etc...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    It's common, in that our studio has steered away from using the 'in camera' approach, due to impromptu crashes. It could be that your ref image is just too large (filesize) for whatever Maya has allocated to it, but I'm guessing..Anyone else??

BTW, you may find that you'll need some shelf buttons set up to let you see your planes in textured mode, and your wireframe model at the same time.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, Pyromania has a good point, Maya will not deal with image compression very well (if at all).
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    the first fix I tried was using an uncrompressed format --finally gave up & just used the image on polyplane approach -- works fine, a bit more time to set up but more versatile in the long run. if interested, see the pimping thread for WIP.

thanks for the responses.